Pop and Zoo DVDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
Yeah I'm getting addicted to DVD threads , now this one people is something I have noticed so far , there's this wait for the dvds of mexico and sydney , which actually is starting to be really annoying and strange , I mean they don't release it , but they keep teasing us . Which leads me to another question , aren't these dvds like already ready to go for sales , produced ? Look at U2s last dvds , save for Chicago , which I haven't see yet 2nd disc , don't know if there's anything of these concerts in it , every dvd had footage of these concerts.

#Joshua Tree had a full video of RTSS from Sydney , and maybe 1 minute of Bullet , don't remember now it there was more.

#Elevation was worse , 2 so called trailers ? :eyebrow: :huh: Which were actually the 2 first minutes of the videos. without mention , that lot of footage of Popmart mexico , 30 sec of Discotheque , and stuff of zoo syd also I think .

#Best of 90s was even "worse" it was filled with stuff from these videos , a full Gone , the last 40 secs of One from Sydney , and lots of footage from zootv , including of course sydney .

So does anybody believe that the dvds aren't already ready ? Whats with so much tease like that , would still be a strategy to keep interest in these videos , coz the only way they are going to be released are in this dvd box that only God knows when will happen.

I think they will release the dvd's after the release of Vertigo Milan, to fill the U2 gap till their next album. But still, it's strange they didn't release them in the gap between the Best of 1990-2000 and HTDAAB.

cypress said:

You mean in the DVD-HD format?

That'd be a spectacularly crappy idea, but if Rattle and Hum is being released on HD-DVD......

BANZAI said:
I think they will release the dvd's after the release of Vertigo Milan, to fill the U2 gap till their next album. But still, it's strange they didn't release them in the gap between the Best of 1990-2000 and HTDAAB.

Well, first of all, I agree they'll use to fill the gap...
Second point=I see why it's not out yet, the 3rd BestOf is years away, with only two albums worth of material.

1stBestof-1998
ATYCLB-2000
2ndBestOf-2002
HTDAAB-2004

all Fall, holiday season

might be a good bet for 2007, fall. (to fill this upcoming gap)
I think this fall is Milan DVD.
Or it could be a DVD box set this fall=hopefully!!
Think about it, they need to give everyone a good reasoon to go out and buy all the old stuff, so the new DVD (Milan) could be the enticement even if the older shows aren't digitally released, it would be a good selling point. 5 DVD's, around $50.

catlhere said:
I'm still waiting for 'A Day In The Life Of The Edge" :eyebrow:

That's got to be on Milan, you'd think.
Or if there is indeed some kind of Box Set, maybe an extra disc with all kinds of odds and ends on it, rather than just small bonus material, maybe an hour+ of miscellaneous stuff.

Ultimately, I want the archives Box Set, all the shit from the old eras, something maybe like the Beatles anthology series, only better. Not so many outtakes of familiar songs, but unique songs.
The digi-box set was a turd, IMO. That unreleased and rare stuff was pretty cool, but it should have been available on a disc, how many hardcore U2 fans could give a fuck about Itunes? I didn't like the marketing of that one, but I beleive the analog folks will get something in the next several years.

U2DMfan said:

...That unreleased and rare stuff was pretty cool, but it should have been available on a disc, how many hardcore U2 fans could give a fuck about Itunes? I didn't like the marketing of that one...

I totally agree.
A blot on U2's epic landscape.
I wouldn't have minded if they'd released it on disc, but that action showed a lack of respect for the fans.
This action has no moral conscience only a monetary one.

I understand that the band are in the record industry, but there are no excuses for not making it available on CD.

Well Sydney and Mexico will probably end up on DVD, as hinted at by the trailors on Boston DVD. (Red rocks too, someday?)

That said, I think we will see Milan first.

(what about the rumoured 80s Best of on DVD?)

Yes, I've been wondering: when they retire and bring out the box set, will we get video from early tours, JT (we know they filmed a few shows for Rattle and Hum), Lovetown....?

Which leads me to another question , people if they were to release a old non released before concert in dvd , what would be your choice ?

#A Zootv DVD old Achtung Baby only days , with UV , Desire and everything , maybe also Mirrorball .....

#A Love Town DVD since we don't have official release of it

#A full lenght Joshua Tree concert , yeah we get rattle and Hum , but I'm talking a full concert , including Unforgettable fire , a beatles cover , party girl maybe , all the stuff

# A Unforgettable fire DVD , coz it's the same of Love Town

#A Full not edited war DVD , with maybe some different songs from Red rocks

I don't put in question Boy and october , coz I think it would be much better the concerts when they have more songs to show , know what I mean , but if anyone wants to suggest these tours ......

when was it ever confirmed that the Milan show would be released? isn't it still just a rumour?

seems unlikely if we're to get the U2 IMAX film this year. 3 releases for one tour? that's a strech, even for U2.

though I hope I'm wrong. :wink:

Hamish Hamilton said , I think countless times it was said here in interference , he confirmed when in Brazil , that Milan would be around Xmas , also u have to see that they started to promote Milan , with those clips in 60 minutes and all

My choices for next U2 DVD's would be (with this priority :drool: )

1- A Lovetown Tour DVD as Sidney, Dublin 1989 or Rotterdam 1990 complete :bow:
(late 2006)

2- Zoo TV 1992 show as Stockholm 1992 :drool: :drool:
(early 2007)

3- War Tour AND UF Tour DVD. Since the concerts filmed were about 60 minutes long, I'd go with something like Loreley 1983 and Dortmund 1984 complete :combust:
(mid 2007)

4- Pop Mart DVD :heart: The strongest canditates must be Rotterdam for 1997 and Santiago for 1998 :rockon:
(late 2007)

I wouldn't even bother in producing another HTDAAB DVD, what for?

peace :wave:

mobvok said:
That'd be a spectacularly crappy idea, but if Rattle and Hum is being released on HD-DVD......

The upside about HD-DVD is that it's backwards compatible with existing DVDs. That is, these discs have a separate standard-definition DVD layer for playing in regular DVD players.

It's in the HD-DVD specification. It's really just a question, however, as to whether it's required or just technically possible.

Melon

melon said:

The upside about HD-DVD is that it's backwards compatible with existing DVDs. That is, these discs have a separate standard-definition DVD layer for playing in regular DVD players.

It's in the HD-DVD specification. It's really just a question, however, as to whether it's required or just technically possible.
It's the latter one. I seriously doubt if Paramount would make R&H such a 'dual format disc': what would they be gaining with it? The DVD is for sale for around $5, no point in including it on the HD release.

The 'dual format disc' option is to be used for new releases, so that studios don't have to release both a DVD and a HD DVD: they would just release a HD DVD w/ DVD layer.

The ZooTV and PopMart DVD's will happen. In fact a few years ago I remember Best Buy, Borders, Barnes and Noble and Amazon had the same release dates. Of course, the release dates for this dvd's were about 3-4 months away from the date I saw them in the search engines. They were there for maybe a week or so, then the release dates changed, at all places, to TBA for about a week before they just disappeared.

So these DVD's will happen. I'm certain of it. The question on my mind and everyone else's is 'when'?

ponkine said:
My choices for next U2 DVD's would be (with this priority :drool: )

1- A Lovetown Tour DVD as Sidney, Dublin 1989 or Rotterdam 1990 complete :bow:
(late 2006)

2- Zoo TV 1992 show as Stockholm 1992 :drool: :drool:
(early 2007)

3- War Tour AND UF Tour DVD. Since the concerts filmed were about 60 minutes long, I'd go with something like Loreley 1983 and Dortmund 1984 complete :combust:
(mid 2007)

4- Pop Mart DVD :heart: The strongest canditates must be Rotterdam for 1997 and Santiago for 1998 :rockon:
(late 2007)

I wouldn't even bother in producing another HTDAAB DVD, what for?

peace :wave:

Most if not all of these are readily available for free if you look hard enough

toscano said:

Most if not all of these are readily available for free if you look hard enough

I know that, I have most of them, but you can't compare the quality of bootleg v/s official :drool:

That's pretty funny and ironic, you know, while the video and audio quality of bootlegs are nowhere near as close as official releases, most of the time official releases contains performances nowhere near as good as the ones contained in bootlegs and this is a good example :ohmy:

Thats all true , but at least we got some videos with decent perfomances , Like Chicago and Mexico , of course they don't top the best concerts of these tours , but the songs in these 2 concerts are simply very very well done .

BTW gotta agree with Ponkine on this , Man what a dvd would be , if they put a rotterdam concert , perhaps the last one , that Edge delivered that put-Hendrix-on-shame solo in Desire :drool:

My choice for a zootv dvd would be certainly be a stadium one , I do have Stockholm and it is a great concert , but for some reason I'd rather a std concert million times , it's weird see Zootv in a arena.

For Popmart , the reason I didn't put it in the opinions , it's I believe Mexico captured well the best of the tour , the best Pop songs working well and all...... which is different from zoo syd , the whole old good encore was missing and lot of good stuff as well...

Last edited:
Milan DVD will sure come out around Christmas. I know it for sure! How? I was there that night, during One, when Bono asked to light up the cellphones, he went: "You look like a Christmas tree! Happy Christmas!"

So........, 1+1=2
:corn:

In the Zoo TV DVD I'd wish for them to include the 1-hour TV special they showed here in the U.S. with all the funny "news briefs" and stuff. I have that on VHS but like Zoo/Sydney and Popmart/Mexico it's barely hanging together after all these years.

Someone needs to tell U2 or their representatives that these DVD's need to come out sooner rather than later. VHS tapes have a certain lifespan and for many hardcore fans like me those tapes are at the end of the line. You can find used VHS versions on e-bay or Amazon but buying one used tape of who knows what condition to replace another one just plain sucks.

Back
Top Bottom