POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Ohhh goodness. So I liked October, but I cannot LIVE without POP. I don't know why, but somehow, the most un-U2 sounding CD is the one I love the most. I think that it's lyrics are so much more sophisticated, even more so than that of the Joshua Tree. I think that it has the same "hey, life means something, but I have no idea what" attitude, but it offers a little more hope, in a sick twisted way. One of the best lines that Bono puts out there is in "Please" when he interchanges similar sounding words, each as potent as the other at the end when he says, "It's what lovers deal. It's what lovers steal." Those two lines portray the bittersweetness of the whole CD. Not to mention "If God Will Send..." It makes me feel good to know that someone who is as Christian as Bono is still confused as to what God is. The whole thing is always in my mind.

------------------
Go lightly down your darkened way.

I really like the POP album also. I would say it's one of my top 3 U2 albums. I don't know why so many fans, and critics disliked it.

I like Pop more than when I first got it. I hated it at first. Little by little I started liking it more and more. I still don't like the songs Playboy Mansion and Velvet Dress, I don't get where Discotheque fits on there, thought I love the song, and I don't like the studio version of Mofo, but I think it was great live. I don't think the album is as bad as a lot of people say it is, but I don't rank it in the top 5 of their albums.

i have found that some of the most anaylitical, and unorthodox U2 fans like POP a lot(this being me). I dont know, I find alot of their stuff sometimes boring, but POP has never bored me out.. and yes mofo sounds better live, but it is also a phenomenal studio song, and every song sounds better live. I mean look at Please, that is the most sophisticated Live song U2 plays. but POP is in my top 3 also, sometimes even my favorite. Playboy mansion is on crack, but hey even that relates to the final lines in kite.. who knows, I just think POP is genius. it is not 2dimensional, it is 3Dimensional. Maybe it is just the Beatnik in me..

yay! i'm so happy to find fans who like pop! hehe...it's weird cuz i started coming online like right after that album came out, and everyone liked it then, but nowadays most of the fans i run into say they hate it, or at least really dislike it...i guess these are all the fans who didn't buy pop but then came for atyclb (which isn't bad, don't get me wrong)...
which reminds me, i don't like atyclb much but that's another story...

------------------
have a nice day! ;)
royal chat nutte for both interference and U2OL, as proclaimed by sir rafaroni (the mexico city treat) :D
U2: 62%
dd: 37%

-------
proof 2001 simon is bangable:
<Rox> I bang 2001 simon every morning
<J-Tree> you think he'd get tired from being hard all the time

john nude!

I LOVE POP! I can't live without it either!! Its my 3rd fav album!!

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I absolutely love the POP album. I love that you can dance to it and be very serious about. It is my favorite album done by U2 because it is so different and so ironic. I am glad to see other people like POP too cause alot of u2 fans grill me on that fact since most don't like it. SO yeah for POP

------------------
"I know I am not a hopeless case"

On a poll on interference about a month ago that included top 3 albums, I kept an eye on the votes and it turned out the Pop wound up being the 4th best liked album by people here (behind JT, AB, and ATYCLB)... so you're definately not alone.

I personally like the album a whole great deal.

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
which reminds me, i don't like atyclb much but that's another story...

Whoa there, let us not get carried away. POP is great, but you CANNOT put down the beauty of ATYCLB (really I just like ATYCLB a lot too, though the two are pretty much polar opposites).

------------------
Go lightly down your darkened way.

Though it frustrates me sometimes, and I wouldn't want them to turn back the clock, POP is definitely out on its own. By which I mean it isn't really all that connected with what came immediately before (ie. Zooropa, Passengers, which seem to be music made more in an Eno/Bowie/Kraftwerk vein).

The frustrating part is the few songs around the middle of the album that for reasons of production or songwriting just fail to get off the ground. Last Night on Earth is a major culprit, I think. It's not a bad song, but it's like some kind of lumbering airplane that cannot quite get airborne (at least on record).

Discotheque on the other hand is just gorgeous. And everthing from Miami onward is perfect.

Miami might just be the worst U2 song I have ever heard. I really cant stand that song. Please the album version is also pretty bad. I do like the single version a little better. Playboy mansion is one of my favorite songs on POP. Velvet Dress is a nice song but not a really thriller, and then there is Wake up Dead Man. I listened to it maybe 2 times which is the least I have listened to of any U2 song. I know a lot of people like it here but I really dont. I think if they stayed in the studio for about 2 more months and finished Please, Last night and If god will send his angels, then POP would have been a much better album. By finished I mean they mixed them like they did for their single versions.

Pop is way ahead of it's time. Put it on now & it will sound brand new. When are they gonna put out the popMart DVD? Somew of the tunes are some much better live...Like Gone & Last night...Please into streets...

I really love the 'Pop' album, more than 'All That You Can't Leave Behind'. "Mofo" is a really, really good and strong song, same for "If God Would Send His Angels", but my favorite is "Wake Up Dead Man" wich sounds, to me, a little bit 70s-ich. The lyrics on this album are really mature (but depressive) and question a lot the world. I don't see much other U2 tunes that could be as beautiful lyricly than "Wake Up Dead Man" (beautiful in the sense that they really capture the feeling of what Bono wants to give to them).. maybe "Exit", "Mothers of the Dissapeared", "Sunday Bloody Sunday" can match this song, maybe "One".

Even though I would have loved 'Pop" even better if it wold have been completed musically, I really place this album as one of the best I ever heard (outside the U2 ones).

Cheers

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

?Je suis le dernier homme. Contre tous, je me d?fendrai...?
"I am the last man. Against all, I shall defend myself..."
- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

!Hasta la victoria, siempre!

"The one who governs with weapons is clearly poor in ideas". - Subcommandante Marcos

On a mis quelqu'un au monde, on devrait peut-?tre l'?couter / we gave birth to someone, maybe we should listen...

Back
Top Bottom