Poopropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A very interesting read and a good article!

I think many on this forum will like it, but many will also hate it for reasons such as "where's Gone/Stay/Zooropa/whatever"...

All the B-sides he suggests are not that great in my opinion. Pop Musik is fun, but not a good way to start an album. North and South of the River does not do much for me, and I way prefer the garage mix of Holy Joe to the Guilty Mix, which is a bit boring.

Of course I love pretty much all of Pop and Zooropa, so I'm not exactly on the same page as this guy. He does have a real appreciation for some great songs (Lemon, Numb, Mofo), but dismisses a lot of other greats as well.

I liked reading his support for these songs, but I think the flow of his supposedly themed album is terrible. He even cops to it when putting Discotheque as the closing track. Idiotic, if your intention was to start with clubby and finish with funereal. Why not end it with Wake Up Dead Man? Also, the guy explained that he was leaving out some good songs because they didn't fit with his theme, but I'm not sure all the ones he included did.

Nice to see North and South of the River, though, which is probably better than half the songs on Zooropa AND Pop, not to mention ATYCLB.

In my view, the only version other than the one released that I can listen to is my Zootopia Playlist:

1. Zooropa
2. Babyface
3. Numb
4. Lemon
5. Stay
6. Slow Dancing
7. Hold Me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me
8. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
9. Some Days Are Better Than Others
10. The First Time
11. Dirty Day
12. the Wanderer

Interesting read but ultimately shitty list, though I'm sure many people here will like it simply because they can identify with the whole "90's U2 was so cool, what happened" hipster attitude.

I really enjoyed reading his descriptive praise for songs like Numb, Lemon, Miami and Holy Joe (Guilty Mix). Even though I'm in the minority, I was happy there is somebody else out there that really appreciates these songs! :love:

AtomicBono said:
Interesting read but ultimately shitty list, though I'm sure many people here will like it simply because they can identify with the whole "90's U2 was so cool, what happened" hipster attitude.

I'm a hipster who thinks 90's U2 was so cool (though I know exactly what happened) and I think the list is weak too.

Bottom line is that you give me Zooropa & Pop and I can compile a better (and more cohesive) 11-12 song album than you could from the last two.

Rafiennes said:
...my Zootopia Playlist...

I made a playlist similar to this, Popropa, which I based on the original playlists of the albums, so I's say it flows well.. Its basically a combo of Pop and Zooropa with HMTMKMKM thrown in.

Zooropa (Single Edit)
Discotheque
Numb
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
If God Will Send His Angels
Lemon
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Do You Feel Loved
Gone
The Wanderer
Some Days are Better Than Others
Last Night on Earth
The First Time

Last edited:
Though not exactly what my combo tracklist would look like (I'd get rid of DYFL and Some Days... for a couple songs a bit more substantial), what you have is already better than ATYCLB or HTDAAB.

Nate Dogg said:
The most disturbing thing about that whole article was not the bad tracklisting for two albums that should remain two albums, but that this was included...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UoVJ2QLdSrc

Les Nessman FTW! :lol:

The author fails for this alone in regards to IGWSHA:

"Still, it deserved to at least have Bono standing on a huge statue overlooking all of Los Angeles in the video or something. Hell, “Iris” got that much. "

Um ... never seen the video for Stay then, have you?

I can't imagine any version of Holy Joe on any album, anywhere. It needs to stay as a b-side.

Well I think Zooropa and Pop are two of their best albums anyway, so compiling a best of would leave the albums unchanged :wink: but if you took the best half of each album -

Zooropa, Lemon, Stay, The First Time, Dirty Day
Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, Mofo, If God Will Send His Angels, Gone, Please

probably/maybe. too hard for me to pick between Lemon and Numb and If God/Wake Up Dead Man. HMTMKMKM is maybe better than one of those, but no way are Pop Muzik, Holy Joe, or North and South.

AtomicBono [/i][B]Interesting read but ultimately shitty list said:
Well I think Zooropa and Pop are two of their best albums anyway, so compiling a best of would leave the albums unchanged :wink: but if you took the best half of each album

Huh?!

Schizophrenic much?

I was actually enjoying this article until he commented on how he'd listed to a Depeche Mode recent album several times before he'd listen to HTDAAB once. And that alone said it all for me - I stopped reading.

The Depeche Mode album (which I admit to not knowing - although I have a lot of their work) may be very good. But that comment reminded me of all the banal arguments on here - how "Pop" is so glorious, while HTDAAB is crap. Maybe in 10 years, we'll go back to saying how "Pop" is crap and HTDAAB really is genius.

ALL U2 albums - even the "masterpieces" of JT and AB - have their flaws. HTDAAB has many brilliant songs on it and for the author to dismiss it so quickly immediately showed his bias and close-mindedness. And sadly, I lost interest in the article as a result. Hey, I can be close-minded too. ;)

Back
Top Bottom