Poll: which do you prefer - Grammy or the Telethone version of Walk on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I saw Grammies last night, and i thought it was the best Walk on version i ever heard. Loved the part when Bono stepped towards the edge of the stage at the end.

ps: and i don't care that they didn't win Album of the year. They got 4 out of possible 7, plus 3 Grammies from the year before - 7 grammies from 1 album!
I prefer that than, say, see them only win Best album this year and nothing else at all.

pps: loved the acceptance speeches too! My fave is either the one after Elevation won - when Bono had to get Edge away from the mike LOL!
biggrin.gif
either the one when Bono talked about their friendship.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 03-01-2002).]

I like seeing Natalie Imbruglia. She is a hottie. It was cool to see Dave Stewart play along though it seemed like he added nothing to the song (as well as he shouldn't have I guess but still something different would have been cool).

But b/c the Grammy version had the solo and the hallelujahs with the cool choir finish... Walk On at the Grammy was best for me.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Easily the Grammy performance. During the tribute, Bono's vocals were a bit scratchy (which is easily forgiven considering it was something like 2 or 3 a.m. in Ireland when it was broadcast). However, during the Grammy performance, Bono's vocals were amongst the best I've heard in ages. And during the "Hallelujah" choir segment, Bono's vocals went up a notch, sounding rich and full - HIGHLY reminiscent of his R&H era vocals (proving the man can still belt out a powerful song).

Vocals aside, the song was performed beautifully. Edge, Bono, Adam and Larry were perfect. And the choir at the end added yet another layer of perfection to this song. After hearing that performance, I truly felt that this song deserved "Record of the Year" (which, of course, it received).

Grammys, definitely. The telethon version was great but the Grammys version was really good.
smile.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

The Tribute version is the most beautiful version of Walk On...imho.
wink.gif

------------------
Show a little faith
There's magic in the night

I'll have to listen to the Grammies a couple of more times, but if I had to choose now I would definately choose the Tribute.

The Grammy performance was great, but I still prefer the Tribute to Heroes one. Something with the heartfelt emotion that Bono shown in the Tribute, I guess. Not a reasonable answer, I know, but it?s my opinion.

That's a tough one...but if we are just talking musically, I would go with the Grammys. Bono's voice was a bit better, plus they didn't edit the tune like they did on the tribute.

Tribute version wins for emotional impact.

Grammy version wins for all-around solid performance.

Hard to decide...different tones of emotion in them. Walk on Grammys had the break on through, celabratory spirit that the superbowl streets had. Also, Bono's vocals soared and really did emphasize the spirit of the Grammy performance. Walk on tribute was beautiful as well..more broken, more tragic...I loved the peace on earth intro. Bono's vocals weren't as clear and ringing as they were on the Grammy's but it was still a very powerful and affecting performance. For me...probably the Grammy's...but only just barely..I Loved them both.

Although The Tribute is a great version and the first time most of us heard the hallelujahs, I still have to go with the GRAMMIES. I thought it was an excellent performance. It was much better than last year's Beautiful Day. The ending was soooo great. Great t.v. performance if you ask me.

Same here, I was very surprised how good his voice was at the Grammy show (even the lipsynching(sp?) thing crossed my mind...) Silly me.
smile.gif

But I have to go with the Tribute version. Black and white, first time I heard the "Hallelujah's", very moving.
smile.gif
smile.gif

I'd have to say Tribute...one of my all-time favorite performances...and still can't get enough of that dvd.

Oooh.....tough one!
There are a number of factors that effect my decision. The Tribute version was a lot more emotional, heartfelt (to me), and took on a whole new meaning to the song for me. The Grammy's version was a soaring version, that seemed to reach into the upper atmospheres. There's one bad thing about each version for me:
- Tribute = Bono's voice isn't as strong, and even though it sounds good, the Grammy's voice is a lot better

- Grammys = Right at the very end of the song, it becomes very cluttered as the choir take over, I think they should have been a bit lower in the mix towards the end.

All said and done. I'd have to go for the Grammy's version. Bono's voice is just slightly better. But i still ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Tribute.

Bless you all!
WHYWHY.

Everything about the Tribute Walk On was perfect except for the circumstances of the performance.

Back
Top Bottom