poll: which artist/band could sell out a stadium tour today ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacPhisto066

The Fly
I think very few active bands or artists could do it...here's a shot (by active I mean one that has at least released an album in the past 5 years)

1)U2
2)The Rolling Stones
3)Madonna

hmmm...this is really harder than I thought
any suggestions ? is U2 now part of a very select group of people. I sure as hell think so.

DMB could. Although they did have lackluster sales their last tour. Similiar to some tepid markets U2 experienced during PopMart. But they could definately sell out a stadium if they only gave a market one show.

CK

Though he hasn't released a new album in 6 years, which I'm not happy about, Bruce Springsteen could do a stadium tour. 15 shows at the Meadowlands Arena in 1999 and 10 shows at MSG in 2000 sold out in no time.

Bon Jovi probably could too. They did 2 shows at Giants Stadium, but the rest of the 2000-2001 US tour was arenas. In Europe they did stadiums though.

Maybe Elton John and Billy Joel could too, especially since they tour together every few years. I saw them together on their stadium tour in 1994.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 10-23-2001).]

Originally posted by TheU2:
DMB could. Although they did have lackluster sales their last tour. Similiar to some tepid markets U2 experienced during PopMart. But they could definately sell out a stadium if they only gave a market one show.

CK

Maybe if their last album wouldn't have sucked!

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

I think it really depends, because like someone mentioned, the economy and the war make this really iffy, even for U2.

Like if everything was the same except they were playing stadiums throughout the whole elevation tour I don't think every date would sell out. They have too many multiple shows in the same cities plus the ticket prices would be absurd for upper level stadium seating ($85 when you're closer to Heaven than you are to Earth?). Now if you're saying at the most 2 shows at a big metropolis and 1 at very spread out locations with more reasonable prices. Yeah, maybe, but considering the concept of the show I don't think it would translate as well in a stadium and eventually lose steam (I know there were a couple outdoors this leg but they were rare and treated as a nice change and Dublin was just an experience not to be compared with anything else). But that's just me.

Personally I don't think at current ticket prices anyone can sell out a stadium tour.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

The thing is which artists could sell out stadiums all over the world.. Dave Matthews Band would barely fill up arenas in Europe so it doesn't count. I agree about the Stones and Madonna. Bon Jovi could as well, though I'm not as certain. Elton John would not sell out stadiums in Europe...

Andy

The remaining Beatles
biggrin.gif

I would include Radiohead as well. They were playing to 20000 to 30000 people at every stop on their US tour. If they put out a more commercial friendly album next time around, they could easily stay in the stadiums.

I should note that the price of tickets can affect whether any groups plays the stadiums. Blink 182 in 2000 were playing STADIUMS (hard to believe) and were playing to 35000 people only because their tickets were priced for $15 only.

Actually SFX recently rejected the Rolling Stones' bid to do another stadium tour, stating that the only current acts with the ability to do a stadium tour that might make money (to their satisfaction) were Madonna and U2. This was reported in Billboard a couple months ago and in other music publications. I believe there's an item on it on youtwo.net also.

Originally posted by Hewson:
Worldwide...probably only The Stones and Pink Floyd.
US only : DMB as well
Europe only: U2 as well and Michael Jackson.

I don't agree with your comment that U2 would only being able to sell out Stadiums in Europe. Why wounld't they be able to sell out in North America or Sourth America? They did it in South America for the POPMart tour. And right now in North America, their popularity matches that of their Achtung Baby days when they sold out every Stadium Show. I'm from Canada, and I'm 100% confident they would sell out any stadium in the major cities here.

I don't see why it wouldn't be the same thing in the states.

The only tour that could sell out stadiums worldwide would be:

Radiohead opening for Pink Floyd.

Oooohhhhh it gives me chills thinking about it.

------------------
"...I'll see you again, when the stars fall from the sky, and the the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill..."

NYC RIP

Originally posted by voxson:
Elton John would not sell out stadiums in Europe...

Andy

Ummm...I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think it was 1999 when he actually played stadiums in Europe?
He's for sure not as popular as, let's say the Stones, but for whatever reason I think he'd manage to sell out stadiums in Europe...

Other than that...let's see:

1. U2 (definitely, atleast outside the U.S.)
2. Rolling Stones (again, definitely outside the U.S.)
3. Madonna (atleast outside the U.S.)
4. Michael Jackson (atleast outside the U.S.)

Some bands that *could* possibly pull it off...

1. Pink Floyd
2. Eagles
3. Depeche Mode (definitely NOT in the U.S., but they did some stadium-shows in Europe this summer)
4. Bon Jovi (I hate to say this, but they would definitely sell out a stadium-tour in Europe, South America and Asia).

Originally posted by ouizy:
Radiohead opening for Pink Floyd.

Oooohhhhh it gives me chills thinking about it.
"chills" doesn't even begin to describe it

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

my opinion from Bcn...
to fill football stadiums between 50.000 and 70.000 people...
U2
and maybe...Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, and Rolling Stones...
but the record in the Olimpic stadium of barcelona is for U2 in 1997 with 70.000 people, second is Bruce with 55000 and third is R.Stones and Pynk Floyd with 50.000

sorry,,,but...who are DMC???????
and BonJOvi doesn?t fill stadiums anymore, tyhe last time he come to Barcelona in 1993 he only fill 35000 in olimpic stadium...

The reality of the situation is that nobody can sell out every stadium on a worldwide tour. U2 would sell out NY, Boston, Chicago and all or Europe but would most likely miss LA, Vegas, Salt Lake City, and areas in the south and midwest. Stones are getting SO old and every body has seen them already, but would probably do ok in the major markets. DMB, there is no way they sell out stadiums across the country. Pink Floyd--many newer music fans have never even heard of them, they would not sell out stadiums. Bruce -- played to ampitheaters a couple of years ago, and the interest is simply not there. Really, there is no bonafide act guaranteed to sell out stadiums across the world, but I will say that U2 may be the only group that could come close. But the mid markets in the US just do not support them enough to pull it off.

------------------
You Just Can't Get Enough Of That Lovey Dovey Stuff...

I dont think any band could sell out a Stadium tour today. As much as I would like to think U2 could do it I have my doubts about some areas of the United States especially. Rolling Stones management told them not to go in stadiums this time around because they would be playing to half empty stadiums. Metallicas time of being really popular to me is over because theyve put nothing out in the last 5 years or so that would be considered to be great music to Hard fans. I just dont see any band that could sell out a world wide stadium tour at the moment.

Originally posted by Seconds:

I don't agree with your comment that U2 would only being able to sell out Stadiums in Europe. Why wounld't they be able to sell out in North America or Sourth America? They did it in South America for the POPMart tour. And right now in North America, their popularity matches that of their Achtung Baby days when they sold out every Stadium Show. I'm from Canada, and I'm 100% confident they would sell out any stadium in the major cities here.

I don't see why it wouldn't be the same thing in the states.
As others have stated, I don't think U2 would sell out stadiums in all markets in the US. certainly they would sell out the major "U2 cities", but I don't think they'd sell out secondary markets.
Stadium shows are more widely accepted as the norm in Europe in the summer, US audiences don't flock to football stadiums for rock concerts the same way.

well let,s just say it doesn't have to be a major complete sellout, but the question is to figure out who is left that's big enough to justify taking the risk of a stadium tour. great suggestions by everybody.

in my hometown of Montreal in the past 10 years (since 1992), here is a complete list of the Olympic Stadium gigs.

- Genesis (Phil Collins as lead singer)
- Guns N'Roses/Metallica
- U2 (twice: ZOO TV and PopMart)
- Madonna
- Pink Floyd
- The Rolling Stones (twice : Voodoo Lounge
and Bridges To Babylon)

a mere 8 gigs in 10 years, half by U2 and The Stones

Back
Top Bottom