Poll: U2's best concert movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2's best concert movie?

• Under a Blood Red Sky- Red Rocks 1983

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Amnesty International 1986

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rattle and Hum 1987-88

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • ZOOTV Live From Sydney 1993

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Popmart

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Boston 2001

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Now I won't forget to click poll LOL!

We all have our favorite movies, but which one do you think is the best representation of the band on stage? If you could only choose one to show to someone who doesn't know anything about U2, what would it be?

One show to someone who doesn't know anything about U2?? We were talking about this in chat one night...

I say Zoo TV...or PopMart. For somebody who isn't a U2 fan, they would at least appreciate and enjoy the spectacle of the stage set up. A person who's not a U2 fan might become bored with something like Elevation...no video screens all over the place...no lemon...the main focus is the band. When I went to my first U2 concert, it was a PopMart show...my sister, who hated U2, came along. She did admit she enjoyed herself though and thought the screen, lemon, etc. were really cool.

However...best representation of our band on stage?? I think that would be Elevation, due to its intimacy and such.

I would have picked Boston, but there are 3 problems with that concert video.

No Mysterious Ways !
No Pride !
No One !

Arggghhhhh!!! Why did they do that ?

ZOOTV Sydney
the best show IMO

though I really like the camera work of the elevation one

Obviously a lot of young people responding to this thread so far. The answer to the poll and questions is hands down U2s show at Red Rocks! If there ever was such a thing as a U2 sound and image its all right there on the RED ROCKS video called Under A Blood Red Sky. For young fans who don't own the video, its not the same thing as the album! Anyone here who does not own the Video needs to buy it right away! The sound of the band, the intensity, The Edge's moves, Bono and the white flag! Its all there!

Yes, we should probably introduce them with Red Rocks. But they also have to see Elevation Boston since that's the band now. Rattle and Hum is vintage, and Sydney a masterpiece. I can't pick just one!

Hey there, I own all of these except for the Amnesty show (which I have seen) and I would still pick ZooTV. Don't assume that we're all young and naive. :p

I had to pick Red Rocks. Partially because that is when I fell in love with the band and their music, but also because this movie showcases why they had so much impact on the music scene. They are at their most energetic, most naive, and most emphatic, really the most U2! Not to say they aren't in the other movies. And I do love Elevation for the great cinematography. Actually, U2 at the US Festival is even better than Red Rocks as it showcases Bono in his climbing mode.

There is something so significant about Red Rocks that is just not fully represented by the ZOO TV video. Just from the standpoint of the songs on the ZOO TV video, everything from Red Rocks is missing except New Years Day. I don't know how you could show someone that first before RED ROCKS.

I became a fan of U2 in 1987. Although I like the singles and songs played on the radio from Joshua Tree then, it was the RED ROCKS video and Under A Blood Red Sky that really got me into U2 that year. My first album was actually not the Joshua Tree but Under A Blood Red Sky.

I love all the videos by the way and I have the Amnesty show as well thanks to Angell. The earliest Pro Shot show that I have is from Berlin Nov 4, 1981 on the October tour also thanks to Angell. Great show, and perhaps the earliest Pro Shot show that exist.

i voted for *PoPmArT*

my first show, a great tour and they have a good mix of songs

besides the poptart looks :drool:

Before picking, however, you NEED to distinguish between --

1. Music in the context of the era

AND

2. Production value of the video/DVD

I LOVE ZooTV, but I'd rather watch elevation just because of how much better it looks and sounds. In Dolby Digital (with volume cranked), it looks and sounds AMAZING and even though i've still seen it 100+ times at this point (and went to 7 elevation shows and 2 ATYCLB promo shows), I still get goosebumps every time, and still get upset when it's over. . .

WALK ON. . . :)

This question is really hard, because hardly ANY of the videos would really show someone who has never seen U2 what they are really like. The times were different, the meanings of the songs were different......

But I had to go with Zoo TV since it contains the one and only MacPhisto.... :heart:

i voted zoo tv as being the best concert movie, although i would say it'd be best to introduce someone with red rocks. for me, i would introduce them to the band chronologically, starting with the early stuff and eventually working my way to today's stuff. after all, chances are they've at least already heard some new stuff, but they may have never heard of "i will follow" if they're younger.

this way, jumping from red rocks to something like popmart would not necessarily be a good idea, since it would raise a lot of :huh: and :confused: from someone who wasn't following the band at least slightly back then. i'm probably not even making any sense. :p

While I like all the video's, the true heart of U2 is best shown on the Red Rocks video. ZOO TV is more of a specific phase of the bands career, and new people may have trouble seeing the passion and heart of U2 with all the distractions. None of these distractions exist on RED ROCKS! Thats why its the best to show to another person first. Its also an Amazing live performance, perhaps their best of all the video's from the different era's. There are to many people out there, especially Dave Matthews Band fans who look at ZOO TV and POPMART and are turned off but they have never seen or know of the RED ROCKS video which I think they would find more interesting at first. A better way to break the ICE with the skeptical types.

Funny, I would never ever use Red Rocks to introduce someone to U2. I always think of that one as 'for fans only' perhaps because I am always so annoyed by the, what, 3? camera angles, the main one being looking up at Bono. Interesting to think of it as a U2 primer, but I'd still go with the best rock & roll show ever:

ZOOTV

hands down
no contest
the best
IMO
:)

Although for certain people, like my 50+ year old boss, I'd go with Rattle & Hum.

Oh gosh, forget camera angles! Its about the spirit of the show that is captured on film, not some technical stuff like that. ZOO TV Sydney is great don't get me wrong, but there are alot of people who are not into U2 precisly because of ZOO TV. They have not seen or heard about Red Rocks though. Red Rocks is unlikely to turn off any music fan, where as the multi-media extravanganza would really piss some music purist off. While each video is a snapshot of the band at a certain point in its career, the spirit of the band is more easily seen in Red Rocks.

i wasn't aware that the amnesty tour was documented and released commercially on video. i mean i knew it was recorded because i've seen snippets of performances through out the years.

Actually Amnesty was just shown on MTV, it has not been released comercially though.

ZOO is my favorite but I also think it is the best one that most people who aren't real fans would like.

Back
Top Bottom