Poll: do you think U2 can still top JT and make their best album yet or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Also, who is the producer of the new album? Eno/Lanois again or not?

------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage feels like last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"The music itself will tell you where to go." - Edge (about recording)

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover and planes in BD video)

Do they have to "beat" the Joshua Tree. They are not the same band they were in '87 and each album is different you can't really compare them. Could they make their 4th masterpiece? I sure hope so.

Originally posted by ocu2fan:
Do they have to "beat" the Joshua Tree. They are not the same band they were in '87 and each album is different you can't really compare them. Could they make their 4th masterpiece? I sure hope so.

What i meant was if they can make an album that would be comercially better than JT, but at the same time it would be considered "the" U2 album in terms of impact, song quality etc...i guess what i'm saying is do you think U2 has already made their best work ever or not?

------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage feels like last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover and planes in BD video)

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-19-2001).]

Originally posted by U2girl:
What i meant was if they can make an album that would be comercially better than JT, but at the same time it would be considered "the" U2 album in terms of impact, song quality etc...i guess what i'm saying is do you think U2 has already made their best work ever or not?

well, in terms of impact/song quality, i'd say that Achtung Baby is "the" U2 album.
wink.gif

as for have they made their greatest work already, who knows! i'm just psyched for any new material at all!
smile.gif

I forgot to include my opinion, didn't i?

Hmmmm - hard to say. I hope they have yet their best to give, but it will be tough to overcome JT/AB/ATYCLB (whichever is your favorite) and tough to get out of the JT "fame" - to prove that it's not necessarily "the one and only" U2 album.

------------------

Originally posted by U2girl:
I forgot to include my opinion, didn't i?

Hmmmm - hard to say. I hope they have yet their best to give, but it will be tough to overcome JT/AB/ATYCLB (whichever is your favorite) and tough to get out of the JT "fame" - to prove that it's not necessarily "the one and only" U2 album.

I don't think JT is considered "the one and only" U2 album right now.

I agree that it will be tough to make a 4th "Masterpiece" though. Even though I believe U2 has 9 "Masterpieces".
wink.gif

------------------
THE DUCK HAS DIED

[This message has been edited by Zoo Schabow (edited 12-19-2001).]

No producer has been announced yet...

Moby has been rumored... I THINK Nigel Godrich (radiohead) has been a rumor too..

------------------
And I felt like a star...

1-they will never top JT or AB
2-they can make something completely different and as much or more
3-my expectations are high but they have been let down twice in a row.

I would expect to see an album in between UF and WAR or somewhere along that vein, in my mind JT and AB cannot be topped, but I look forward to the new sound which Bono called 'punky and melodic' which probably just means the guitar is a little harder and their is more chorusy type stuff, I've learned not to trust his descriptions of things.

As for the producer? Moby is a good idea, the Radiohead guy is a good idea, I would like to see, uh... I dunno how about Trent Reznor? dont liek that one? How about George Martin? probably too old, Billy Corgan? nope he's in a band, damn this is tough, I'll just go with Flood, just an idea.

Originally posted by U2DMfan:
1-they will never top JT or AB
2-they can make something completely different and as much or more
3-my expectations are high but they have been let down twice in a row.

Hmmm... interesting.
With regards to your first comment, I feel they have topped both albums (UF, Zooropa and ATYCLB are all better, IMO, than AB and *especially* JT).
With regards to your second comment, I agree completely.
With regards to your third comment, I think the problem clearly lies with you, not U2. I'm not sure what you are expecting. However, to be disappointed by both "POP" and ATYCLB (which is what I'm assuming you mean) surprises me as the albums are so vastly different from each other.

Joshua Tree is not their best album in my opinion and therefore they dont need to beat it. It was inarguably their most commercially successful album, but some poeple tend to be concerned with the commercial success of U2 and the things they need to do to maintain it.

They are U2. Of course they have the potential to do better than they have.

Each U2 album is brilliant and wonderful in it's own way. The Joshua Tree is great, but I fell in love with Achtung Baby when it came out and it's just a very special album to me. I remember taking it to my friend's house and playing it. As "Zoo Station" kicked off, we couldn't believe how gritty it was compared to the songs off Rattle and Hum. I know this is a generalization, but JT represented the 80's U2 at it's best and AB just gave us our first glimpse of a band that was still growing and finding new ways to make great music. Sometimes it's hard to believe the same band put those 2 records out, but I just see it as U2's growth within the band itself and the complexity of their music grew as well. I suppose it's all a personal preference though. I would say this---don't ever doubt U2 and their ability to make just amazing music.

------------------
I hit an iceberg in my life
You know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat

"New York" U2

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 12-20-2001).]

No , U2 will not top Joshua Tree ,why?? , cause they seemed to feel very old right now , i mean look at ATYCLB 50% of material can't come even close by quality to the power of Joshua Tree cd , " the idea of the heart and GA + mega-active communication with people on the concerts+ Stuck&Beautiful Day videos " this were ideas which i like and adore one hundred percent ,
The rest of thier " pathetic MTV promotion " including DVD was boring and it was done already , it could be better ,almost the whole concempt of Elevation Tour 2001 was copied from ZOO TV , but now they look not sexy but look like four very old Crandfathers , and thier music form is ok to bad ( bono's voice ) and 70% of tour was done at the United Sates ( viva third leg " healing " set-list - the worst U2 set-list ever played by U2 " , ... year , such a way to go , Olympics , super Bowl , what's next!!!????? singing between NHL games????????!!!! Another " Century " bono's ONE or academic speeches about helping Africa ..... but speaking of Money , you're great U$$ businessmans , guys !!! Walk On !!
Funny i still hope they will go for better stuff

Back
Top Bottom