Please(The Popmart Mix) - I made this, I want your thoughts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
You may remember that Phanan made a 'hybrid' mix of please some months ago, that mixed the Pop version and the Single version together - it's a well done mix. But I've been listening to it lately and something still bugs me...in Phanan's hybrid mix, it switches to the single version right before the 'September, streets capsizing' bridge. As a result, we get the bridge from the single version, which nuetered the awesome rhythm work Adam and Larry did in the album version. I've also sometimes felt that the solo in the Single version sounded a bit flat. I could be wrong.

Anyway, based on the above, I decided to make my own hybrid mix of Please. But I didn't use the Single mix. I used a mix called the 'USA Edit'. The only place I've seen this is on the Please single on the digital boxset. It sort of sounds more like the album version than the single version until the end, where it sounds more like the single version except that to me, the solo sounds sharper, for lack of a better word. This would be the perfect version for me except that the entire bridge is cut out. It was made for radio play, so the 'September, streets capsizing' bridge went bye bye.

However, lucky for me, the last part of the song(from 'please please get up off your knees' to 'love is big, bigger than us' to the solo to the end) starts after a moment of relative quietness where the bridge was cut out, so rather than starting AS the bridge is ending(making it nearly impossible to cleanly cut it), it has an absolute start, a clearly defined point where I could start the cut. Also, the very end of the song, 'you my love I could never believe', ends cleanly and concisely, more like the album version, and not with the long drawn out ending with the strings on the Single version.

So I took the Pop version up through the end of the bridge, and then pasted the end of the USA Edit to it.

The pros of this:
No more neutered rhythm seciton ANYWHERE
No more string arrangements
Sharper solo(imo, I could be wrong, I don't know :wink: )
The more concise ending is much better for playing this in the context of Pop, right before WUDM.

Now that I've bored you all with that intro, I'd appreciate it if you all would take the time to download my mix and tell me what you think. I call it 'The Popmart Mix'. I'd love to know what you think.

http://tinyurl.com/eyxmz

Nice job.

You nailed the timing, it's not short or long on the beat.

It's a little jarring on first listen cause I'm so used to the other mixes. Repeated listens will take care of that.

And wonderful use of tinyurl.

Sounds good.

The change is abrupt, but like MrBrau1 said maybe repeated listens will help.

namkcuR said:
You may remember that Phanan made a 'hybrid' mix of please some months ago, that mixed the Pop version and the Single version together - it's a well done mix.

Cheers for this, downloading now..but do you have Phanan's version too? I never got to hear it. Also I think mixing the two LNOE versions would prove interesting (album version has the stuttering intro but lacks the superior mid-section of the single mix)

Last edited:
Sleep Over Jack said:

Cheers for this, downloading now..but do you have Phanan's version too? I never got hear it. Also I think mixing the two LNOE versions would prove interesting (album version has the stuttering intro but lacks the superior mid-section of the single mix)

Yeah, I'll PM you a link.

So, whaddya think of my mix?

namkcuR said:

Yeah, I'll PM you a link.

So, whaddya think of my mix?

Cheers..although I'm not a premium member so I don't know if your pm will work? I'm going to listen to your mix in a bit and I'll let you know:)

Nah, us cheap-o members can't read PMs.

I can't wait until Tuesday, when I get my fourth automated "Happy Birthday!" PM in as many years that I can't read.

Ah crap..

Anyway, I heard your version of Please, namkucR, and Its very well done, I didn't know of the USA Edit, but I'm pleased you kept in the solo in whatever form..and the strings coming in near the end was a cool way to ramp up the song. You managed to blend the two versions together nicely, although I miss the ghostly strings right at the end from the single version.

Now, do a LNOE version!:drool:

Excellent job namkcuR. I think I like your mix better than mine, for the reasons you initially stated. To my ears, the solo doesn't sound all that different, but the rhythm work alone is what defines your mix over mine.

If you recall, I had cut the string ending on my mix, so it has a clean and concise ending as well, which works if you have it going into Wake Up Dead Man. So not too much difference there, although Bono's voice obviously sounds different.

Again, great mix.

:up:

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I really appreciate it.

I've made some slight modifications to it...you may not even notice the differences, but I'd appreciate it if you would download this one and answer these two questions:

1.Is the timing at the cut as good as it was on the first one?

2.Is the sound quality throughout the song any better/worse?

http://tinyurl.com/dpb42

Has nobody downloaded the second version of the mix I posted? I need feedback on it too, I need the two questions I posed above answered. Please?(pun intended) :wink:

Just listened to the first version (downloading the second one right now).

Just two comments:
1. The Popmart part is timed just a tad too early.
2. The volume of the Popmart part is too high, I would recommend bringing it down a bit. Listening with headphones I actually jumped when the part came in, it's much louder than the first part.

Other than that: great work! :)

edit: in the second version the timing is worse.

Last edited:
Yeah, the timing is a bit worse on the second one. But what else did you change? :scratch:

Except for the increase in volume, the first one you posted is pretty good! :up:

Back
Top Bottom