Please: Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
Anyone else wish they'd play this a bit more often?

After every night on Popmart, and a handful of acoustic versions and one full band on Elevation, it didn't even get a look in on Vertigo, although a few lines drifted into some performances of Bullet The Blue Sky every now and then.

A shame really because its outstanding on stage and I think it was the best Popmart song of the tour, although Mofo, Gone and LNOE were also good. It became a bit of a show stealer and was the heart of the set in the same way that Bad had been in the eighties. Plus this is where the huge screen came into its own, all those images piling one on top of the other.

Like a lot of Pop songs the lyrics are great:

'the heaven you keep you stole'
'stick on tattoos making the news'
'sermon on the mount from the boot of your car'

But I think it's those lines that spookily reflect 9/11 which have made the band reluctant to perform it ever since.

Anyway the Popheart performance is incredible, Bono's voice is maybe the best of the tour, during those kind of tribal yells Edges guitar keeps climbing higher, its such an exciting effect I don't know why he didn't do it more often and the falsetto notes right at the end with all the sound effects going on around Bono are so haunting and moving. These Live EPs are great I wish U2 would release more of them.

BTW what was the single full band version like on Elevation? I still haven't heard it but apparently it was much more stripped back than on Popmart.

Please is one of my top5 u2 tunes. it has just joined a long line of Fantstic tunes that are all to often overlooked (Tomorrow, In gods country, dirty day, Trip thro your wires, Two hearts, Ultraviolet and Unforgetable fire to name a few) in favour of SAFER and predictable options.
Could you imagine how great a show u2 could do with the lesser played (probably more loved) songs they choose to ignore:drool: :drool: :drool:

Well, I listened to the relevant Baltimore performance, October 19,2001. It opens with a short, almost rant-esque speech from bono about God and extremists, one of his better ones. The song opens with some atmospheric, almost creepy guitar work from Edge. Larry joins in during the first verse, but not overpoweringly. This pattern repeats during the second verse, and at the end of that, Larry goes into full swing, and Adam joins in during this chorus. They do the bridge more like on the album, ie. no SBS drum beat. They segue into Streets like on PopMart, but regrettably w/o falsetto (remember, this was the Elevation Tour.) Overall, I think I prefer the PopMart version, but this has its own merits, specifically the guitar in the beginning and building up during both of the verses to the choruses and finally the bridge. The concert as a whole is excellent, and I can send it to you if you wish.

Both have it good sides (pop and elevation versions) but id take the Popmart one.

And yes it needs to be played at the next tour, every show every night.

It's a U2 classic although U2 itself doesnt want to see it i believe...

u2thewho said:
Well, I listened to the relevant Baltimore performance, October 19,2001. It opens with a short, almost rant-esque speech from bono about God and extremists, one of his better ones. The song opens with some atmospheric, almost creepy guitar work from Edge. Larry joins in during the first verse, but not overpoweringly. This pattern repeats during the second verse, and at the end of that, Larry goes into full swing, and Adam joins in during this chorus. They do the bridge more like on the album, ie. no SBS drum beat. They segue into Streets like on PopMart, but regrettably w/o falsetto (remember, this was the Elevation Tour.) Overall, I think I prefer the PopMart version, but this has its own merits, specifically the guitar in the beginning and building up during both of the verses to the choruses and finally the bridge. The concert as a whole is excellent, and I can send it to you if you wish.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I would love to see Please live. I remember the first time I heard it on the album and it was my fourite music right away! And I'm very emotional towards the video of this song. Everytime I see it I can't help but stare and get really into it.
If they plyed it live again... It would be so awsome I can't describe. After Love Is Blindness and Stay (I know they played LIB recently but it wasn't like ZooTV), Please is the song I wish the most they play again.

Please live on Popmart is one of the three greatest things U2 has ever done.

It was not the best version of that song.

I actually think the best outro was live from MTV awards.

find somewhere the Santiago version of that... is UNFREAKINGBELIEVEABLE...

and I have the Rotterdam version on DVD (the 90-00 bonus DVD)

Its funny for me because "Please" on the POP album does little for me. But seeing/hearing it done live in person on Popmart it was absolutely amazing. I think it was/is something that had to be experienced over simply listening to a bootleg of it. The build up to the end and then the segueway into Streets was one of those near perfect performance/setlist pacing situations that U2 pulls off at some point each tour.

I think the half acoustic version of "Please" from Elevation (all other versions on Elevation besides Baltimore were the semi acoustic version) is OK. But it doesnt have the same punch or build up that the Popmart version had.

Its a pity they didnt play it on Vertigo. They started to rehearse the song for the Vertigo tour using the Popmart Mexico City live version as their guide. The plan was supposedly to add it to the Euro setlist. Obviously never transpired. I would have liked to have seen "Please" take the place of "Bullet". I like "Bullet", but it can take a break occassionally. Maybe next tour. :hmm: Then again, maybe not. :lol:

pepokiss said:
find somewhere the Santiago version of that... is UNFREAKINGBELIEVEABLE...

Yes, Santiago and Sao Paulo were two of my favorites.

kingofsorrow said:
End of the world

While I agree with your other songs named, not only is this their best live song ever, it's gotten better with time: it's been at its very best on the Vertigo Tour.

Please--->Wake Up Dead Man (full band)--->Streets

I still think that would be the greatest thing of all time.

pepokiss said:

That's not the actual version, just a shortened edit with an alternative live track (I believe). The genuine Rotterdam version will apparently be a bonus track on the Popmart DVD (whenever that one will come out).

u2thewho said:

Thanks for posting u2thewho, that sounds like a really unusual version.

Blue Room said:
Its funny for me because "Please" on the POP album does little for me. But seeing/hearing it done live in person on Popmart it was absolutely amazing. I think it was/is something that had to be experienced over simply listening to a bootleg of it. The build up to the end and then the segueway into Streets was one of those near perfect performance/setlist pacing situations that U2 pulls off at some point each tour.

I think the half acoustic version of "Please" from Elevation (all other versions on Elevation besides Baltimore were the semi acoustic version) is OK. But it doesnt have the same punch or build up that the Popmart version had.

Its a pity they didnt play it on Vertigo. They started to rehearse the song for the Vertigo tour using the Popmart Mexico City live version as their guide. The plan was supposedly to add it to the Euro setlist. Obviously never transpired. I would have liked to have seen "Please" take the place of "Bullet". I like "Bullet", but it can take a break occassionally. Maybe next tour. :hmm: Then again, maybe not. :lol:

This is pretty much how I feel, the album version I find a little one dimensional, but on stage it became something else entirely. I never knew that they were planning on playing it during Vertigo or that they used the Mexico version of a guide. Bono has said its his favourite U2 song so I doubt we've heard the last of it.

Popmartijn said:

That's not the actual version, just a shortened edit with an alternative live track (I believe). The genuine Rotterdam version will apparently be a bonus track on the Popmart DVD (whenever that one will come out).

Yeah on the History Mix DVD I think it says its live from Helsinki, the images might be from Helsinki but the audio isn't, that's from Rotterdam, its not a genuine live version, like the performance of Bad on the Unforgettable Fire VHS, the audio is from Birmingham NEC but the images of from two different nights somewhere else in the world. I can't wait to see the proper version on the Popmart DVD bonuses.

Popmartijn said:

No, actually it is the live track (I have it on iTunes, it is the audio), with a bunch of shows put together I believe. It has the images of the Troubles flashing around, I think it was heavily edited video. But the audio is definitely from Rotterdam.

Yes thats right Phillyfan, those images were never used on the Mexico gig, a pity because although its not authentically live, I think I prefer the History Mix clip, it seems more interesting and exciting to me than the Mexico one.

I was at the Baltimore show and it was an awesome performance. We heard them soundchecking it from outside while I was in the GA line, and I about crapped myself. If someone could email that to me, I'd wholeheartedly appreciate it.

Thanks U2thewho.

- Scott
bonovoxkite@yahoo.com

Blue Room said:

Its a pity they didnt play it on Vertigo. They started to rehearse the song for the Vertigo tour using the Popmart Mexico City live version as their guide. The plan was supposedly to add it to the Euro setlist. Obviously never transpired.

That would have been so. hot.

I would be very, very in favour of them dumping Bullet for Please. I mean we talk about songs like SBS, Streets, Pride and One which kinda have to be played (yes I know about the disappearences here and there, like no One at Boston, little SBS on ZooTV or Popmart(?) but I'm talking mainly about this tour). But I don't think the masses would miss Bullet too much for Please -- considering they took out WOWY a fair bit this tour.

phillyfan26 said:

While I agree with your other songs named, not only is this their best live song ever, it's gotten better with time: it's been at its very best on the Vertigo Tour.

i know it's a great song live. all i'm saying is after hearing it played for 15 years, i think it's time it makes way for something else. u2 show are starting to look like a singles collection instead of a rock show.

kingofsorrow said:

i know it's a great song live. all i'm saying is after hearing it played for 15 years, i think it's time it makes way for something else. u2 show are starting to look like a singles collection instead of a rock show.

Until The End Of The World wasn't a single though, and i don't believe it is known by John Everyman

Please took on so much more live. The cut of it from Rotterdam on the Please Ep is just mindblowing :drool: .

I adore Please. Especially the live Popmart version. So much passion and grit, and that funky part where they go into "september, streets capsizing" Frikkin incredible. I'd love to see them revisit this :up:

kingofsorrow said:

They used it sporadically this tour, at about half of the shows, so they aren't repeating themselves, though I'd rather they used other songs mixed up and UTEOTW at every show.

And as Coolian said, it wasn't a single, and really isn't too well of a known song. I think it briefly charted in the early 90's, but it's no Pride :banghead: .

Back
Top Bottom