Please, dont give me all this "Momentum" crap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I've heard all this stuff about the delay of the album affecting the "momentum" from the Elevation tour.

Please, stop. Just stop. Since when has a U2 tour failed to create "momentum?" Do you really think that a delayed release will affect the album/ tour sales and such?

Give me a break

They said it. So I'll give you "momentum crap." Bono was interviewed in France after the Elevation tour. He said recording was going great and U2 wanted to keep the "momentum" going and release an album "while the iron was hot." Boy was he wrong. What else has he told us that's complete BS? Just about every other word from his mouth when he's not singing never comes true. It's not 1987 anymore. They aren't going to sell a million record automatically. They're 40+ yr old "dad-rock" that are very image consious of the pop charts. They're making things difficult for themselves. Does nobody see that? Or are you all too horny for Boner?

Last edited:
By now I've learned to take anything Bono says about prospective albums/tours/releases with a grain of salt, so I can't say I'm really that disappointed that nothing has happened yet. I won't place my hopes on his excited statements alone.

I don't see the Elevation Tour as giving them much momentum for the next album. :huh:

It's been too long. :|

They will have to start from the ground again, and work hard for it like MrBrau said. I know they always work very hard, but I agree that this next album is gonna need some OOMF to sell well. Let's just hope & pray the Music is All That They Can Be and Then Some.

On the other hand I think of my younger sister's friends who went with us to one show last tour. They ask me all the time when U2 are coming again- so I dunno. Maybe Elevation did leave an indelible mark, on old and new fans... but my gut tells me the momentum is fading. If you weren't a hardcore fan, would you honestly have heard about the band since the Best Of? :shrug:

I love them enough to keep on loving and seeing them in show pretty much no matter what. I honestly don't think they could ever put out anything that'd put me off, based on history. But in the other paragraph I was talking about the potential difficulties with mass-success, not just fan success.

discothequeLP said:
I've heard all this stuff about the delay of the album affecting the "momentum" from the Elevation tour.

Please, stop. Just stop. Since when has a U2 tour failed to create "momentum?" Do you really think that a delayed release will affect the album/ tour sales and such?

Give me a break

:applaud:

It will happen when it happens...and it will be great and generate its own momentum.

So there! :laugh:

Re: Re: Please, dont give me all this "Momentum" crap

Bono's American Wife said:

:applaud:

It will happen when it happens...and it will be great and generate its own momentum.

So there! :laugh:
here here
well said.
they've still got it
it's worth waiting for
bless 'em :edge: :larry: :adam: :bono:

MrBrau1 said:
They said it. So I'll give you "momentum crap." Bono was interviewed in France after the Elevation tour. He said recording was going great and U2 wanted to keep the "momentum" going and release an album "while the iron was hot." Boy was he wrong. What else has he told us that's complete BS? Just about every other word from his mouth when he's not singing never comes true. It's not 1987 anymore. They aren't going to sell a million record automatically. They're 40+ yr old "dad-rock" that are very image consious of the pop charts. They're making things difficult for themselves. Does nobody see that? Or are you all too horny for Boner?

exactly. we're not making this "momentum crap" up. it came straight from bono's mouth.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
By now I've learned to take anything Bono says about prospective albums/tours/releases with a grain of salt, so I can't say I'm really that disappointed that nothing has happened yet. I won't place my hopes on his excited statements alone.

THIS is right on the money. I have said this before. Look at Bono's comments in the past. He tends to exagerrate and/or be a tad inaccurate in some of his proclamations.

I also agree about the momentum thing. We had to wait 4 years between Popmart and Elevation and I thought the Elevation tour and ATYCLB was just fine. Its only one more year, it will be here before you know it. Like I said in the news thread on this. Look at it in the positive light, gives more time to save money for the tour.

I like when it takes forever for the band to release an album. It gives them time to create a new phase, a new era. Look at the time after Rattle and Hum and the Lovetown Tour ended until the time when Achtung Baby came out. They turned into a totally different band... Look at the seriously long time from Zooropa and Pop.. Look at the period from Pop and ATYCLB..

I don't mind another year because it will give people time to forget the ATYCLB phase. Screw momentum, screw the feeling that they better release something to capatalize off the fan base they gained from ATYCLB and the Elevation tour. I'm fine with U2 coming out with a completely new album as well as sound and look, I am fine with them having to fight to maintain musical relevance, having them fight to sell a million albums if it's actually a good album.

I always thought that Bono meant the momentum of being creative
playing together, writing songs

as far as I'm aware of most of the work re. songwriting etc. on the new album (whenever it will be released) was done shortly (in U2 terms) after the Elevation tour

and perhaps the momentum they thought they had only resulted into mediocre songs

the notion that U2 should need momentum to get people excited over a new album/tour does amuse me though :up:

what also amuses me that the people who apparently are getting the most worked up about this thought that ATYCLB sucked arse anyway

I'm easily amused :up:

Amuse THIS! :mad:
I'm not in any hurry for a new album. It will get here. Just like next Christmas will one day be here.

We have to remember that the band and all their people are media whores. They talk and talk and talk. They need to to keep us interested. If they were all vague and non committal, we'd lose our own momentum.

I can't really agree about the band still sporting the Elevation look. Bono has a new hair style and colour, and is wearing lots of corduroy and even velvet (!), Edge has ditched the beanie at a number of recent events, and Mullen and Clayton have adopted an exciting new "invisibility" look.

It was Bono who said after the tour was over that he couldn't wait to get into the studio to start recordind so they could 'feed off the energy of the Elevation tour" :yes:

Oh, and anybody who thinks they still look the same does not hang around PLEBA;) They have looked several different ways since then, and believe me, WE'D KNOW, because we look and we notice things. ;)

U2 have done some of their best work having to fight for musical relevance. In fact, AB is my favorite U2 album....they were fighting for their career big time, and it worked. I take what Bono says about a new album with a grain of salt. If it's another year before they're ready, fine.

U2Kitten said:
Oh, and anybody who thinks they still look the same does not hang around PLEBA;) They have looked several different ways since then, and believe me, WE'D KNOW, because we look and we notice things. ;)

Very true. As another PLEBAn I know I am very fond of Bono's new look. :drool: :drool: :drool: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Chizip said:
yes, they look older than elevation tour

What, are you blind? They look even younger than during the Boy era! Especially Edge with that flowing long hair!

The momentum thing does kinda have an effect. Between Love Town and AB there was a bit less than 2 years, not a huge ammount of time and a year of that was much needed down time after 3 years of solid work which included two albums and twohuge tours, tours on a scale the band had neevr done before and were sick of.

Fast forward to l994 after ZooTV was over 2 years of solid touring and two albums and young families to worry about a break was well deserved, plus in 1995 we got Passengers an in there a fair bit of soundtrack work for those who really needed their U2 fix. But ime off was really well deserved becuase from 1987-1993 they had only taken 1990 off every other year in there was pretty much either spent in recording or touring in that space they produced four albums and three huge tours. A long pause but a well deserved one and we did get a few bones along the way.

Now when we hit the gap between Pop and ATYCLB which was a little long (for only one album and tour, though POPmart wasa huge undertaking and there was getting chewed up int he media) but not too bad. We had teh first BEst of with it's primo B-sides disc and the MDH soundtrack plus a good bit of media coverage in between and a lot of laad up to the album. Now for me the album was a disappointment but atleast there was some momentum between albums. Then add in the Millenium new years show that big benefit concert that though it failed gave us some more new live U2 stuff.

This time we got the Best of Soon after with ES which seemed pretty much like a left over from ATYCLB and while Hands was nice all this came pretty close after Elevation was son over, and then nothing... Yes there was this new song but I've never heard it nor would I have heard of it were I not on this board. Other than Bono's charity work U2 have completely dropped off the radar. This totally goes against Bon's statement about momentum.And given the early release of the Best of, methinks a quick album release was the original plan, if they were expecting a long production time I don't think they would have released it so early.

U2 don't know how to play the market right. They always overpromise and underdeliver. It would be better if they underpromise and overdeliver. But we fans are all immune to their lies anyway. Besides, I'd rather wait 5 years for the next U2 album then have them release an album that is unfinished and disjointed just like POP (which they admitted as such).

Cheers,

J

Their plans most likely change during the album making. They might have thought they'll release a new album soon after the Elevation tour (most likely that was just gathering ideas for new songs), but then again, with the Best of coming out in 2003 that wouldn't make sense. They only brought in a producer in that same year too. I think every album since JT gets a momentum of its own just fine, long or short wait.

If you consider other popular artists or bands (granted, not many come close to U2's level), most wait atleast 2 years between studio albums and sometimes 3 or 4 years. Most do drop off the radar for atleast a year or 2 but usually a good album plus atleast one or two good singles and a good tour result in new momentum and success. However, I've seen a few popular bands stop getting promoted by their record label and this results in poor sales, even if the new album is better than previous ones. God help us if this happens to U2.

Everybody takes longer between albums the more they've done and more established in their career they become. Putting albums out every year or two is for young bands trying to become known and keeping their names in the public's mind. Older bands don't need to do that, and most of them also are happier in their lives, have wives and kids and want to go enjoy their money and not feel so urgent about putting out an album. Also it probably comes to be more of a job at thtat stage of their lives and career than when' they're young and scrappy. But we should be glad that U2 are still around and still together, and more popular than ever. They'll give us what they want when they're ready.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom