"Please" appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's almost like a continuation of Sunday Blood Sunday.

The young, optimistic man is shouting for change and revolting against the atrocities of man in Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Fast-forward 14 years later, that same man is now older and weathered by experience, now pleading for that same change that he know will never come.

It's youthful optimism versus experienced pessimism, to me atleast.

That's what makes Please so special to me, especially some of Bono's best lyrics, Larry's best drumming, and Adam's best bass playing.

LemonMacPhisto said:
It's almost like a continuation of Sunday Blood Sunday.

The young, optimistic man is shouting for change and revolting against the atrocities of man in Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Fast-forward 14 years later, that same man is now older and weathered by experience, now pleading for that same change that he know will never come.

It's youthful optimism versus experienced pessimism, to me atleast.

That's what makes Please so special to me, especially some of Bono's best lyrics, Larry's best drumming, and Adam's best bass playing.

My man LMP said it beautifully! I don't have to say anything. :love:

:wink:

There are really only 3 GREAT songs on Pop and "Please" is one of them...the other two (at least in my opinion) are "Gone" and "Wake Up Dead Man". That's not to say the others aren't good.

"Please" is one of U2's most emotional songs when performed live.
Well, SBS was never a masterpiece for me (I like the song, but it's far from being on my favourite ones), and I think that "Please" surpasses its predecessor by miles.

My favorite song of POP. It's so much better live than on the album, I can't believe they haven't played it more often...it would have worked perfectly for the Vertigo tour.

Lancemc said:
My favorite song of POP. It's so much better live than on the album, I can't believe they haven't played it more often...it would have worked perfectly for the Vertigo tour.

:yes:

Fantastic song. And I think I'm probably in the minority here when I say I prefer the album version to the single version and the live version!

Please is such a fantastic song, one of the last songs Bono's written with truly good lyrics.

The live version from Popmart Sarajevo is absolutely spine-tingling. :drool:

I am a huge fan of the studio and the live versions...but do prefer the LIVE version...and, yes, that transition from Please to Streets is spine tingling for me, one of my favorites.

U2Man said:
please -> streets is probably u2's best transition ever.

IT IS ,

-Bono gettin on his knees , with the pray "Get up from ur knees"
-The Screen turns Red
-The Popmart version of the synthetizers begins
-Edge's starting his licks

Bono gettin up , as receiving a answer from heaven , It's like literal symbols of God entering the room ,

I'm usually not into the heavy, depressing songs like this so I don't listen to it much, but it is one of their greatest songs, Bono's writing at best, and I think the Please > Streets is my favorite Streets transition.

U2Man said:
please -> streets is probably u2's best transition ever.

Absolutely. I got the Hasta la Vista CD before I ever heard the Pop album, and feeling I got listening to Please->Streets was indescribable. I don't think I stopped listening to it for the whole day.

:heart:

Back
Top Bottom