please! an update is most desperately needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Hello. I've just returned from five weeks on an island with no electricity (hence, no computor). I really need a succinct update on the whole beach-clip story. When I left, there was much discussion surrounding the first 16-second video beach clip. I'm assuming (possibliy stupidly) that there have been more. Please don't make me go through 5 weeks of Interence posts (The Horror!!).

Can anyone be a friend and help me out? :up: :hug:

Well, you've definitely a fair bit to catch up on. The 16 second video clip was followed by roughly 18 whole minutes of audio - easily the best beach clips ever. Hopefully someone will upload them for you, or has an active link (or I can do it later). They are known by both names arbitrarily assigned by the recording software and fan working titles:

400: Can't You See
402: I Believe
403: Thank You
404: All My Life

Thank You is a song Bono has written with Lanois and has been performed live by Lanois under that title. 403 and 404 are more often referred to by their fan working titles than 400 and 402.

409 is the subject of quite a bit of controversy. I haven't kept up with much of it, so someone else could elaborate further, but it seems to be an unreleased song by a member of the Strokes, possibly with Bono singing parts of it.

biff said:
Thanks, Andre. Can you send me those clips? I can be reached at biffers@gmail.ca.
I'm grateful that you responded.
What do you think of it all?

Sure, I'll e-mail them; my uploads are just a bit slow so it may take a bit of time. I'll send each individually.

I personally think there's some great material in there - especially 402 and 404. It seems a bit unpolished though, like it's still in its development. Think Axtung Beibi Out-takes, but maybe a bit further along than that.

Axver said:
409 is the subject of quite a bit of controversy. I haven't kept up with much of it, so someone else could elaborate further, but it seems to be an unreleased song by a member of the Strokes, possibly with Bono singing parts of it.

Apparently the whole scenario was U2 playing some of their unfinished tracks for The Strokes guys, and them doing the same.

Hence the playing of 409, plus there have been pictures all the guys all hanging out on a balcony.

409 is really titled Obstinate, and will be on Albert Hammond Jr.'s solo album due out in October.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Apparently the whole scenario was U2 playing some of their unfinished tracks for The Strokes guys, and them doing the same.

Hence the playing of 409, plus there have been pictures all the guys all hanging out on a balcony.

409 is really titled Obstinate, and will be on Albert Hammond Jr.'s solo album due out in October.

What of the matter of part of the vocals sounding different to the song on YouTube though?

Axver said:
biff, all five of the beach clips have sent now. :)

Jusy saw your note now (very long day of travel, unpacking, etc., so brain no working well).

Anyway, thanks!!!:wave:

I won't have time to listen until later today. I'll let you know what I think. This is exciting!

Axver said:

What of the matter of part of the vocals sounding different to the song on YouTube though?

2 theories:

The quality of the beach clip compared to the actual track.

or

Hammond sang the song live with the backing track to show the guys?

:shrug:

The youtube clip comes from a documentary released in 2002, so Albert Hammond Jr. may very well have re-recorded the vocals since then.

ht tp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strokes#Is_This_It

I don't think it's Bono singing on the beach-clip, I find it more likely that it's Albert. However, the quality makes it impossible to be sure about whose singing. But my money is on that it isn't Bono.

But I would have loved it if Bono had been involved with 409, since it was my favorite beach clip. Great song.

Just one more theory. Since I don't know the strokes very well, is it possible that it is Julian singing on the youtube clip och Albert on the beach clip? Or something like that?

Back
Top Bottom