Playboy Mansion live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it as at the end of Streets (when the synths kick in) and he wails:

Then will there be no time for sorrow
Then will there be no time for shame

So no, it sounds nothing like the studio version.

I think everytime Bono sang The Playboy Mansion it was just the lines "Then there will be no time for sorrow / Then there will be no time for shame" at the end of Streets whe it restarts. I love The Playboy mansion and really wish they had done an entire version of it, an acoustic version could be interesting too I think,. It's a beautiful melodie.

Looking at that link I saw that Bono did a little of Thank You (Falettin Me Be Mice Elf Again) during Bullet The Blue Sky. How interesting! Gotta find me a version with that snippet now.

Last edited:
TheBrazilianFly said:
Looking at that link I saw that Bono did a little of Thank You (Falettin Me Be Mice Elf Again) during Bullet The Blue Sky. How interesting! Gotta find me a version with that snippet now.

ya, the Thank You snippets are good. since btbs sounds like a funk song in popmart, the snippet just flows right in.

thelaj said:
I think it as at the end of Streets (when the synths kick in) and he wails:

So no, it sounds nothing like the studio version.

Yeah, that's all it really is.

I believe that before Popmart, they did rehearse it with the intention of playing it live, but couldn't get it to work out to their satisfaction.

Axver said:

Yeah, that's all it really is.

I believe that before Popmart, they did rehearse it with the intention of playing it live, but couldn't get it to work out to their satisfaction.

I had a magazine (Guitar magazine) and they had a working setlist of the Popmart when they were rehearsing and Playboy Mansion was on the list. It was for the B-Stage around SATS. The list said "Not set in stone".

zoopop said:

I had a magazine (Guitar magazine) and they had a working setlist of the Popmart when they were rehearsing and Playboy Mansion was on the list. It was for the B-Stage around SATS. The list said "Not set in stone".

I don't suppose you can remember any more of this working setlist? I'd really love to know more about it.

I'll look around for it, as I should still have it. But I do remember seeing "Playboy Mansion". As I went to the Vegas show and thought, wished they played that.

To be precise, it was large inflatable lotto balls with a video image of Bono singing the song inside them. The theory was they would be rolled out over the crowd. That was Bono's vision for the song anyway. Obviously was never worked out, word is that the production to do it was too cost prohibitive. But it was definately rehearsed as others have said.

zoopop said:
I'll look around for it, as I should still have it. But I do remember seeing "Playboy Mansion". As I went to the Vegas show and thought, wished they played that.

Cool, thanks. I'd really love to see if anything else they had planned didn't actually happen.

Blue Room said:
To be precise, it was large inflatable lotto balls with a video image of Bono singing the song inside them. The theory was they would be rolled out over the crowd. That was Bono's vision for the song anyway. Obviously was never worked out, word is that the production to do it was too cost prohibitive. But it was definately rehearsed as others have said.

They could've saved some bucks by borrowing the Flaming Lips' giant plastic bubble and put Bono actually inside of it for crowd-surfing like Wayne Coyne does.

I found the working setlist. The source is from a magazine called Gigging (June 1997). Magazine talks about the technical side of concert/live productions.

The article is pretty neat. 8 pages about the Popmart production. Talking about each band members setup and such. At the end of the article there is the Las Vegas setlist and a picture of the working setlist from April 3rd 1997. Titled "Not in Stone":

-Pop Muzik
-Mofo
-I Will Follow
-Real Thing
-Do You Feel Loved
-Last Night On Earth
-Gone
-End of The World
-God Angels (Bono & Edge on B-stage)
-Playboy Mansion (Band on b-stage)
-Staring At The Sun (b-stage)
-Miami (main stage)
-Bullet
-Miss Sarajevo
-Please
-Streets

-Lemon Impossible
-Discotheque (b-stage)
-Velvet Dress (Bono solo on b-stage)
-With or Without You (main stage)

-Hold Me Thrill Me
-Mysterious Ways
-One

I know. The only thing I might change is closing the show w/ "Playboy Mansion". I always felt that would be a great closer.

-IGWSHA
-Playboy
-SATS

would be tough for the casual fan to sit through. But I do give U2 props for considering 11 Pop songs, Miss Sarajevo, and HMTMKM in one concert.

I would DIE to hear all of that live...

THE WHOLE ALBUM LIVE

+ Miss Sarajevo and HMTMKMKM

:drool: and :combust: x N

PS: what the hell is "Lemon Impossible" :scratch: ,aybe a new mix?

How interesting, I guess that would be their perfect Popmart setlist. No Pride, Still Haven't Found, All I Want Is You or New Year's Day. After leaving behind Sunday Bloody Sunday and 40 for Zoo TV (yes, I know they played SBS a few times) not playing Pride and New Year's Day sounds like natural progress, too bad it didn't worked like that and they had to bring it back. Sarajevo - Please - Streets could have been an amazing moment! I still think that if they had worked a little more on DYFL and IGWSHA they could have made it work. And of course TPM would be just awesome!

zoopop said:
-Discotheque (b-stage)

This part is interesting too. I guess Edge would be playing his guitar for Velvet Dress while he, Larry and Adam would make their way back to the b-stage with Bono singing the song alone on the b-stage and then play WOWY on the main stage. I'm glad they didn't do it like that. On the Las Vegas show they played If You Wear That Velvet Dress in its entirety, with all the verses (at least most of them I think) and even with that beautiful little Edge solo, now that's a real shame it didn't went on like that.

From the look of things U2 was really trying to make Popmart into ZooTV (2) by playing most of the new songs. From what I’ve heard Bono wanted “Pride” dropped from the Popmart but as usual it made its way back.

I guess the Edge Karaoke thing would be replaced by The Playboy Mansion... but still in Karaoke fashion

imagine the stadium singing along "THEN WILL THERE BE NO TIME FOR SORROW, THEN WILL THERE BE NO TIME FOR SHAME" :drool:

it's one of the most mediocre songs U2 ever recorded with few saving graces

so I don't feel too sorry I never got to hear it live

zoopop said:
I found the working setlist. The source is from a magazine called Gigging (June 1997). Magazine talks about the technical side of concert/live productions.

The article is pretty neat. 8 pages about the Popmart production. Talking about each band members setup and such. At the end of the article there is the Las Vegas setlist and a picture of the working setlist from April 3rd 1997. Titled "Not in Stone":

-Pop Muzik
-Mofo
-I Will Follow
-Real Thing
-Do You Feel Loved
-Last Night On Earth
-Gone
-End of The World
-God Angels (Bono & Edge on B-stage)
-Playboy Mansion (Band on b-stage)
-Staring At The Sun (b-stage)
-Miami (main stage)
-Bullet
-Miss Sarajevo
-Please
-Streets

-Lemon Impossible
-Discotheque (b-stage)

-Hold Me Thrill Me
-Mysterious Ways
-One

Thanks for posting this! It's really interesting to see they considered Miss Sarajevo. Funny how the Bullet/Miss Sarajevo thing finally cropped up some eight years later on Vertigo. But that's amazing that they were planning to do all 12 album tracks, plus two other new songs (Miss Sarajevo and HMTMKMKM). That's bold.

Yes. As I recall Paul McG was the one who mandated "Pride" and "Still Haven't" get back into the setlist. He said it would be like going to hear Led Zeppelin and not hearing "Stairway to Heaven" (or something like that). I don't remember where I read that -- Rolling Stone, perhaps?

I think Mc Guinness might be a bit too much business and not enough art
but, really, even as a fan I wouldn't pay to see U2 play Pop+ and not the songs that actually do make them (arguably) the best live band around

I loved PopMart
but it didn't really start to come alive until Pride and I still haven't found ... were played
not that the rest was no good
but it also wasn't the best the band can do
Mofo was great though :up:

I'm sure Willie's diary had something about in reharsal the new songs didn't fill the stadium too well. Too clubby and not stadium rock, thus the addition of Pride etc.

Back
Top Bottom