Plans for Holy Joe on Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
i was wondering, when did the album Pop debut? cuz at the popmart press conference in feb 97-they played Holy Joe, by the time the tour rolled around in April it was no where to be seen. so i guess my question is, AT HE POPMART PRESS CONFERENCE, WAS THE ALBUM TRACKLISTING ALREADY FINALIZED AND THUS THEY WERE KNOWINGLY PERFORMING A SONG THAT WAS NOT EVEN ON THE ALBUM, OR COULD IT BE THAT AT THAT TIME (FEB), HOLY JOE WAS PLANNED ON BEING ON THE ALBUM?

I seriously doubt that they were considering putting it on the album. It was one of the B-sides for Discotheque and I reckon they performed it at K-mart cause it has a rather "throw-away" feel to it.

karls77 said:
I seriously doubt that they were considering putting it on the album. It was one of the B-sides for Discotheque and I reckon they performed it at K-mart cause it has a rather "throw-away" feel to it.

I agree. But I don't understand why they couldn't make "Holy Joe" in his simple form, it had to be a "Garage mix" or "Guilty mix" :huh:

i would have preferred Holy Joe on the album (if they cleaned it up a bit) instead of The Playboy Mansion or Miami.....:|

I recall an article where a journlist sat in on the song's recording, and said the band felt they'd made a song that they considered a b-side into something album-worthy..its certainly better than Playboy Mansion..

At the time of the press conference in mid February 1997, the Discotheque single containing Holy Joe had already been in release for about 2 weeks. They were fully aware that the song was not contained on Pop. It does actually appear as a bonus song on the Japanese cd, which was released in late February 1997, a few days prior to its release anywhere else in the world.

They might have played Holy Joe because it has a garage feel to it, and seems like a simple song to play, and at that point, they hadn't figured out how to play any of the songs off POP live.

I like how the original poster thinks they're onto this really radical idea and simply has to post it in CAPS LOCK FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!

Automater said:
They might have played Holy Joe because it has a garage feel to it, and seems like a simple song to play, and at that point, they hadn't figured out how to play any of the songs off POP live.

that's a good point

gareth brown said:
I like how the original poster thinks they're onto this really radical idea and simply has to post it in CAPS LOCK FOR NO REASON AT ALL!!

But isn't it such fun to CAPITALISE THE SECOND PART OF YOUR POST?

Back
Top Bottom