Peter Buck A Free Man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very cool indeed!

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

I'm glad he got off! I would've loved to been on that jury!!!!! "Bono, I will vote for aquittal if you give me VIP tickets to your entire tour next year"
wink.gif

Seriously, 15 glasses of wine
eek.gif
And pills? Thats almost laughable, wouldn't he be dead then?

However, in light of the changes in the world, he's damn lucky they didn't make an example of him for fucking around on a plane!

How is it that celebrities and the rich are never sent to jail? If it was some regular Joe there would have been a different verdict.

...with a little of Bono's help ofcourse.

R.E.M.'s Peter Buck Cleared
by Josh Grossberg
Apr 5, 2002, 10:50 AM PT

For Peter Buck, it's not the end of the world as he knows it.

But he's feeling fine.

To the relief of R.E.M. fans, a London jury on Friday acquitted the group's guitarist of five charges stemming from his alleged air-rage incident last year.

Buck was found innocent of a laundry list of offenses, including two counts of assaulting the cabin crew, causing damage to the plane, being drunk on an aircraft and disobeying captain's orders during a British Airways flight from Seattle to London in April 2001.

In his defense, Buck claimed that, while seated in the first class section of flight 48, he had taken a sleeping pill along with a glass of wine, "blacked out" and didn't realize how the combination would affect him. He also claimed he had little memory of what happened.

The jury apparently believed the day-sleeper bit.

After the verdict was read, Buck reportedly wiped his brow and breathed a huge sigh of relief. His wife, Stephanie, burst into tears. And R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe wiped his eyes and hugged his longtime pal.

Outside the Isleworth Crown Court, Buck's attorney, Neill Blundell, read a statement from the rocker: "I am grateful to the court, the jury and my lawyers, to my family, friends and supporters who have stood by me throughout this experience.

"I am obviously relieved to be finished here, and I look forward to be returning my attention to my family, my band and music."

The acquittal followed three weeks of testimony in which a number of Buck's musical buddies, including bandmates Stipe and Mike Mills and U2's Bono, took the stand as character witnesses to counter the prosecution's claims of Buck being a rampaging rock star. Each talked about the passion the 45-year-old musician had for his family and that he was not the drunken lout the prosecution and airline officials made him out to be.

"There's what's called a 'Southern Gentleman' and Peter is my definition of such, which is someone who's considerate of all people, and genteel, and polite," testified Stipe. "[He is] someone who follows the Golden Rule: You treat people as you'd want to be treated, no matter who they are."

Bono said, "I came over because he's actually famously known for being a peaceable person, and of all the people in the music business, I couldn't believe my ears and eyes when I first saw these reports. It did not add up to the person I had to twist his arm to get him to go to a boxing match once...because he thought it was an aggressive sport" Bono also noted that Buck is a "very quiet man" who "loves his kids so much" and does not abuse alcohol or drugs.

The Buck ruckus allegedly took place April 21, 2001, as the rocker was en route to London to join his bandmates for a South Africa benefit concert in Trafalgar Square in front of Nelson Mandela.

Prosecutors accused Buck of being a not so shiny happy rock 'n' roller after downing 15 glasses of red wine, overturning a breakfast cart, mistaking another cart for a CD player, tussling with crew members and splattering them with yogurt. Flight attendants also testified that Buck had to be pulled away from an exit door after he declared he was "going home" in mid-flight.

When the plane landed at London's Heathrow airport, Buck was taken into custody by British police and spent two days in jail before being released on $30,000 bail.

He later issued an apology for his behavior.

"I am very sorry for the incident and of course, very embarrassed about the whole thing," Buck said at the time.

For its part, British Airways said through a spokesperson that Buck was welcome to book a flight again on the airline anytime.

------------------
Mac Phisto's N.Y. Headquarters

Originally posted by nintendan:
How is it that celebrities and the rich are never sent to jail? If it was some regular Joe there would have been a different verdict.

umm, so you're saying that just because he's a celebrity, he should have been sent to jail? What about the jury deciding differently? Apparently their decision means nothing. oooookay.

Yeah, fair play to the jury for seeing sense!

And hear what he did for the REM fans who showed up at court every day to lend their support to him? He brought signed copies of "Suspicion" for all of them, hugged some of them, and even took their addresses so he could KEEP IN TOUCH!
eek.gif
Sound man!

Yet he seemed to have committed all those acts....

Did he get off scott free? I mean his defense of blacking out doesn't exactly contradict the rage part.

It does seem celebrity played a part IMO, but who knows its just conjecture on my part.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Originally posted by lazyboy:
Yeah, fair play to the jury for seeing sense!

And hear what he did for the REM fans who showed up at court every day to lend their support to him? He brought signed copies of "Suspicion" for all of them, hugged some of them, and even took their addresses so he could KEEP IN TOUCH!
eek.gif
Sound man!

Aw...What a nice guy!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by Flying FuManchu:
Yet he seemed to have committed all those acts....

Did he get off scott free? I mean his defense of blacking out doesn't exactly contradict the rage part.

It does seem celebrity played a part IMO, but who knows its just conjecture on my part.

I agree. What bothers me most is that all we heard about in the press was his famous character witnesses. That proves nothing to me. Everyone has their momentary lapses of sanity and I think this incident on that flight was his. I read very little about testimony from witnesses/crew members on that flight in the everyday press. When I researched this story a little more, I was shocked at this guy's alleged actions. What reasons would multiple individuals/employees of British Airways have to lie? This happened in April of 2001 so imagine what response would have had this happened post 9-11. From Yahoo:

Prosecutors accused Buck of being a not so shiny happy rock 'n' roller after downing 15 glasses of red wine, overturning a breakfast cart, mistaking another cart for a CD player, tussling with crew members and splattering them with yogurt. Flight attendants also testified that Buck had to be pulled away from an exit door after he declared he was "going home" in mid-flight.

In his defense, Buck claimed that, while seated in the first class section of flight 48, he had taken a sleeping pill along with a glass of wine, "blacked out" and didn't realize how the combination would affect him. He also claimed he had little memory of what happened.

His excuse of "blacking out" is pathetic at best. No denial of him doing anything, just denial he didn't remember what happened. Tell me---how is that okay?

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 04-06-2002).]

Originally posted by Jayhawk:

His excuse of "blacking out" is pathetic at best. No denial of him doing anything, just denial he didn't remember what happened. Tell me---how is that okay?

I tend to agree. He hasn't denied the accusations -- very serious accusations -- and even went so far as to issue an apology for his behavior.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
umm, so you're saying that just because he's a celebrity, he should have been sent to jail? What about the jury deciding differently? Apparently their decision means nothing. oooookay.

I'm not saying because he is a celebrity he should go to jail (or whatever the penalty is) I'm saying that not because he is a celebrity means he shouldn't.

He seems guilty to me, but I wasn't the jury.

Back
Top Bottom