Pet Shop Boys covered U2 ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello,

To back up the minority here, I also like the Pet Shop Boys' version (even though it isn't even near the original). I even got their first compilation album (Discography) which has that song on it (and I'm not ashamed to admit it!). BTW, here is a comment from the liner notes regarding Streets (I think it's by Neil Tennant himself):
When U2 released this in 1987, we had the idea of recording a dance version, mainly because the guitars on the U2 record suggested a high-energy sequencer line. For some reason, it just seemed to flow into the chorus riff of "I can't take my eyes off you", turning a mythic rock song into a stomping disco record.

And as for Johnny Cash's One, that is indeed a very good version. I have it on a compilation disc and it sounds really good, although quite desolate. Johnny Cash still puts all those would-be gangsta's to shame.

I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

There have been successful covers of U2. One that comes to mind is the Chimes' "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" cover which was a UK #4, quite a big hit I must say.

The Pet Shop Boy's streets version was kind of a hit, and I don't dislike the version. Actually I think that a different apporach to a song is a MUST for a cover, if you actually do the same song but with just differenet people playing it's no big deal. Re-inventing songs is what covers should be about. Same goes for remixes, do all of you who hate these covers also hate U2 song remixes? (Some remixes are so different that the originals).

If you are interested in another streets cover you could try Silverbeam and Ann Loise's version, it's a pretty cool approach.

Andy

[This message has been edited by voxson (edited 02-12-2002).]

Some covers aren't the greatest, but I still like to listen to them to hear a different version of the song...it is interesting to hear (to say the least).

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Back
Top Bottom