Personally for me, "Streets" in the Zoo TV era...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Is the moment that song is pretty much given birth to...

I like to watch that moment on Sydney, and just think about it... the incredibly long synth intro, complete with the lights. What would have happened if the band didn't decide to play this? In the Joshua Tree era and Lovetown era, it was generally welcomed... but how was it going to fair up against the next decade?

Again, as Bono walks the catwalk during 'Running To Stand Still' the synth-organ begins, and just at that moment, you know that something magical is going to happen, for Zoo TV, and almost every tour after, THAT IS THE MOMENT. Like nothing else mattered up to that point...

I like how the band decided to try it out and see how well it was received, the result was incredible. When played with the backdrops and lights, it's just a incredible experience. I still can't describe it the way I want to, but try to imagine U2 not playing it at that moment.

Always an amazing moment.

As much as I love the song, I am hoping that U2 can write a better song, a song to take its place live.

I've mentioned it many times before, but that is one of my favorite musical moments ever. That whole song from the Sydney show. And the way the spot lights make the sound system/ audio buzz (as is also the case in R&H), and ESPECIALLY when Bono waves to his younger self on the screen.

::Shudder::

BTBS -> RTSS -> WTSHNN -> FTW!

pacemaker said:
I've mentioned it many times before, but that is one of my favorite musical moments ever. That whole song from the Sydney show. And the way the spot lights make the sound system/ audio buzz (as is also the case in R&H), and ESPECIALLY when Bono waves to his younger self on the screen.

::Shudder::

BTBS -> RTSS -> WTSHNN -> FTW!

The video footage of the band walking around Joshua Tree park was one of the many highlights of ZOO TV.

Agree, total and utter perfection. Yes the setlists for ZooTV were relatively static but it was a perfect show. The RTSS WTSHNN segue is one of the best concert moments ever. In Zooropa when the helicopter noises come over the PA with the Apocalypse Now/Doorsy "The End", it is simply heaven.

I've said this in other threads, but I've always felt that it was during Zoo TV that Streets really became the transcendent set-peice we know it as today. In the eighties I think Bad was considered to be THE live U2 song, but in the nineties I think that title went to Streets.

The band utilised it better than ever before too, putting it right at the end or at least near the end of the main concert, setting up that brilliant segue from RTSS, with all those warped sound effects of interference gradually giving way to the slow organ build and then revealing the whole stadium with those spotlights when the full band kicked in. It was all extremely well done and it was here I think that the song really made its mark. You knew from here on in that this was a song that was here to stay.

At the time, being able to top that effect must have seemed impossible but I think they managed it during Popmart, I feel the quiet desperation of Please giving way to the dawning euphoria of Streets was perfectly executed.

An Cat Gav said:

The video footage of the band walking around Joshua Tree park was one of the many highlights of ZOO TV.

And now we have it on the Joshua Tree DVD!

And Please-> Streets is :drool: as well. Talk about a perfectly vivid memory permanently stamped into my head from my first concert ever.

Back
Top Bottom