personality types of the guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr. zooeuss

War Child
Hey everyone,

I'm betting most of us have heard of the Myers-Briggs personality tests before, and that many of us have probably even taken one in some form or another. (They give you one of 16 types derived from a combination of two possibilities of four factors ie: INFJ, ESTP, ENFJ, ISTP, etc etc etc)

...and most of us have probably seen an/or taken little internet quizzes like "which member of U2 are you"? or we can guess fairly easily which one we are most like in terms of personality.

Every few years I go through a phase of re-reading some material on Myers-Briggs, and am doing that right now.

So the question popped up to me, since we now live in the hyperactive information age- at any point in time has there been info shared about how the four members of U2 score on the Myers-Briggs? Just by being a fan for so long I sometimes think I could guess pretty accurately, but then again as I don't know them personally, I may be a lot further off than I'd guess.

Anyway, if anyone knows, please let me know.

Otherwise, just for fun, here are my best guesses:

Bono - ENFJ
Edge - INTJ
Adam - ISTP
Larry - ESTJ

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Ah, yes, but a search for Myers-Briggs gives you more than one type of personality testing.

true story. but searching for those specific letter combinations will yield a summary of those temperaments along with the meanings of the letters. anyway here's a cheat sheet:

E/I - Extroverted/Introverted
N/S - Intuitive/Sensing
F/T - Feeling/Thinking
P/J - Perceiving/Judging

I took it in one of my classes freshman year, the legit thing not an online one :up:

It'll be interesting to take it again since I've been in college awhile now to see if anything's changed.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think you are wrong in assuming we all know what these letters mean.

ah, good point; my apologies. I was making the google assumption.

It's true there are lots of sites dealing with this now, but I rather disagree with what someone else said, that they contradict one another. The theory is getting more detailed and sophisticated over time, and ALWAYS has to be taken with a grain of salt (or several; ie no one is just one type 100% of the time) but the basic structure of the 16 types is consistent and useful and has been basically the same for the several decades since it was first invented.

Here are three of the better sites I've found so far:

Best quick test to take:
http://www.kisa.ca/personality/

Academic and in-depth:
http://www.personalitypage.com/

'Prettier' and more user-friendly:
http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/

well, the truth behind it all, is that we all have all of these letters within us. some are dominant and some are auxiliary. and the rate of each varies too. except for me. when i tested i was only 1% T and 0% S and J. When I had taken the test before I was not so extreme. The Dr. said that for the most part, our temperaments remain the same, however the degree of how dominant one is over the other can change. Then again some people are really half and half with one letter pairing.

Okay I'll shut up now :nerd:

U2democrat said:
I'm an INFP :yippie:

I would peg Bono as Perceiving, not Judging though, and Larry as an Introvert instead of an Extrovert.

You be right about that, as I re-read some things I've been looking at. Part of the reason I started this thread was to get a chance to discuss the concepts with others, regarding people we all know (or more accurately, THINK we know, ;-) in common.)

I would like to point out, however, that some of the latest theories are more dynamic - ie: they acknowledge and allow that people, especially mature people, like Bono perhaps, can move with integrity between characteristics, based upon situations. ie: he will show very different characteristics when talking with a single mother suffering from AIDS, than when talking with the leader of a rich country about why they won't pledge more money to help the single mother suffering from AIDS.

unico said:
well, the truth behind it all, is that we all have all of these letters within us. some are dominant and some are auxiliary. and the rate of each varies too. except for me. when i tested i was only 1% T and 0% S and J. When I had taken the test before I was not so extreme. The Dr. said that for the most part, our temperaments remain the same, however the degree of how dominant one is over the other can change. Then again some people are really half and half with one letter pairing.

Okay I'll shut up now :nerd:

You might find this take interesting if you're in the mood for a bit of a read:

http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/tt/t-articl/mb-dynam.htm

dr. zooeuss said:
Hey everyone,

I'm betting most of us have heard of the Myers-Briggs personality tests before, and that many of us have probably even taken one in some form or another. (They give you one of 16 types derived from a combination of two possibilities of four factors ie: INFJ, ESTP, ENFJ, ISTP, etc etc etc)

...and most of us have probably seen an/or taken little internet quizzes like "which member of U2 are you"? or we can guess fairly easily which one we are most like in terms of personality.

Every few years I go through a phase of re-reading some material on Myers-Briggs, and am doing that right now.

So the question popped up to me, since we now live in the hyperactive information age- at any point in time has there been info shared about how the four members of U2 score on the Myers-Briggs? Just by being a fan for so long I sometimes think I could guess pretty accurately, but then again as I don't know them personally, I may be a lot further off than I'd guess.

Anyway, if anyone knows, please let me know.

Otherwise, just for fun, here are my best guesses:

Bono - ENFJ
Edge - INTJ
Adam - ISTP
Larry - ESTJ

Aaah, personality was my favourite subject in psych. :)

I'd definitely agree with you on your analysis of Bono and Edge! :)

Larry, though, I think would be closer to ISTJ... ? And Adam closer to ESTP? I'm not sure, it's been ages since I studied Myers-Briggs!

Last edited:
Your personality type is ENFP.
Extraverted (E) 89% Introverted (I) 11%
Intuitive (N) 77% Sensing (S) 23%
Feeling (F) 90% Thinking (T) 10%
Perceiving (P) 77% Judging (J) 23%

:ohmy:

Hey look the thread is still around. ;-)

To everyone who said "Larry? Extrovert? WTF?" You're probably right. I'm no Larry expert- he is quiet most of the time- I guess it is his penchant for popping off with the tirade every so often that made me think E. I really don't see Adam as an E at all. Nor Edge, really, which didn't seem to raise any eyebrows.

So perhaps Bono is the only E. Maybe that's what's allowed them all to function so well as a band. The rest of them really don't enjoy the spotlight while he loves it. It has kept any sort of Lennon-McCartney drama at bay.

For what it's worth, and this is not meant to be preachy in any way, the Myers-Briggs theories help me get insights into interpersonal dynamics.

I personally have always seen myself as most similar to the Edge personality-wise, I usually score as INFJ, INTJ or INTP.

This is a generalization, but people who are drawn to heavy use of message boards on the internet are often IN?? of some sort; a relatively smaller percentage of the population.

Though I recognize it is not exactly "healthy" to spend tons of time on message boards, I enjoy it in balanced doses, and have recently come to realize that may be in part due to my natural personality traits.

There's a board called www.similarminds.com that offers some good insights into, and good discussions of, personality types.

Since starting this thread yesterday, I indeed found that there is older thread there dedicated to Bono. It has a mix of good and disparaging remarks about him, as you might guess.

http://similarminds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2869

Anyway, just thought some of you might be interested.

Edurban- cool, thanks for posting that.

This is my most recent result:

Introvert 73% - Extrovert 27%
INtuitive 84% - Sensing 16%
Thinking 53% - Feeling 47%
Judging 74% - Perceiving 26%

INTJ

Introverted (I) 79% Extraverted (E) 21%
Intuitive (N) 59% Sensing (S) 41%
Thinking (T) 50% Feeling (F) 50% (which might be the reason I'm
considered a fencesitter, lol)
Perceiving (P) 73% Judging (J) 27%

(Short test)

This thread seems kind of Lemonade Stand-y, at least given that most people aren't speculating about U2 members' likely Myers-Briggs results. :wink:

I've taken these tests a few times, and always get a different result...I'm sure I've gotten ISFJ, ISTJ, and INFJ before at least. They're fun enough, but their scientific credibility is highly questionable, and I have major reservations about their widespread use by career counselors.

Back
Top Bottom