Perfect time and place for a U2 song...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. V

Refugee
surely we've all been in situations where you've got your iPod plugged in and U2's playing and the song just fits the time and place you're in perfectly... what/when/where/etc.

for moi:

-IYWTVD: just now, walking back from the computer labs on campus back to my room. it was dark, quiet and i played this and it was :drool:
-COBL: when i'm flying home to Adelaide at night, and we're just about to land, and the city's skyline puts on a show... play this track.
-ASOH: as above, but when it's daylight.

The Sad Punk said:
Zooropa when you're stoned.

Listening to Passengers whilst stoned(actually something a bit past stoned!) whilst walking through Berlin at 3am. That was perfect!

An Cat Gav said:

Listening to Passengers whilst stoned(actually something a bit past stoned!) whilst walking through Berlin at 3am. That was perfect!

Actually, I used to listen to Passengers with a group of friends when we'd play videogames together past 2 a.m. It was great mood music.

Where the Streets Have No Name when you have a nostalgic experience-- seeing someone or being somewhere you have not been in a long time. Thats always one of the feelings I get from this song- maybe because of the Zoo performances and Bono waving back at himself 6 yrs earlier up on the TV screen. In God's Country when you are in a good mood, nice warm sunny day. Even Better than the real thing or velvet dress when you are, well, in the mood. New Year's Day on a cold winter day.

Listening to "Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World" at a dive bar/pub with a pint in your hand. Good times :wink:

Joshue Tree (esp. Streets, WOWY, ISHFWILF, OTH) while driving through the open countryside/ natural environment. It works for anything from the classic desert to meadows to mountains. It's such a kind of mystical, ephemeral album, it really gets you airborne when in the midst of God's creation. :heart:

One time I was running and getting pretty tired but had another 1/2 mile or so to go when a live version of Streets came on (I forget which one)- it was definitely the push I needed to make it the last 1/2 mile.

alright has anyone ever listened to Grace in the car while it's raining? Or, for that matter...anywhere where you can hear/see the rain? I find it to be a truly unbelievable experience haha, seriously...Whenever it rains I listen to that song time and time again in the car- it is perfect....I know that song isn't too popular but I really enjoy it :shrug:
maybe give it a try sometime :)

I also like Unforgettable Fire when driving on the freeway and ISHFWILF in a scenic environment or surrounded by nature in any way....especially if you are walking down a street or sidewalk or just walking outside in a cold area preferably :)
ISHFWILF is also a good song if you are looking out at something, something vast and thought-provoking, like maybe standing at the top of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park, or looking out into the ocean....

When I'm feeling a little disappointed or nostalgic I listen to Walk On for some reason, it just fits for me...

Last edited:
Rob33 said:
alright has anyone ever listened to Grace in the car while it's raining? Or, for that matter...anywhere where you can hear/see the rain? I find it to be a truly unbelievable experience haha, seriously...Whenever it rains I listen to that song time and time again in the car- it is perfect....I know that song isn't too popular but I really enjoy it :shrug:
maybe give it a try sometime :)

I also like Unforgettable Fire when driving on the freeway and ISHFWILF in a scenic environment or surrounded by nature in any way....especially if you are walking down a street or sidewalk or just walking outside in a cold area preferably :)
ISHFWILF is also a good song if you are looking out at something, something vast and thought-provoking, like maybe standing at the top of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park, or looking out into the ocean....

When I'm feeling a little disappointed or nostalgic I listen to Walk On for some reason, it just fits for me...

Nice choices.
What you said about ISHFWILF is exactly what I meant. :up: It has sort of a vast, sweeping, expansive quality about it, and really takes you to a location like that; it's so amazing to actually be in such a place while listening to it.

Oh, and I'm with you on Grace. It may not be much liked because it's very simple musically and lyrically, but I rather think that's the point. I really love it.

The last three tracks on Achtung Baby remind me of driving in the dark through the forest that surrounds the Grand Canyon. That was perfect. Spooky, mysterious, and the thought that you could fall off a cliff at any second if you make a wrong turn really suits those songs well.

-Luminous Times (Hold On To Love) and/or A Sort of Homecoming either taking off and landing ... incredible stuff!
-If You Wear That Velvet Dress and MLK really late at night when you can't sleep
-COBL and Streets when your pedal to the metal down the freeway ...

And Rob, Grace in the rain sounds good! I'll have to try it out!

Two years ago when me and a friend went to Berlin by car and
we had a mixed U2 cd made and by sheer luck Zoo Station came on and we were passing the exact station.
That was just:drool: ( for me:wink: )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Back
Top Bottom