People who don't like these 3 classics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
I'm just wondering if U2 fans exist that don't like the following 3 songs "every" fan loves (or at least likes). If so, can you explain why (if you dare)?

Where The Streets Have No Names

Bad

With or Without YOu

Last edited:
personally I love them

if anyone is going to use "overplayed" as a reason of why not to like a song I will hunt them down

It's just that I can do without them. Streets is amazing live in person, but I think COBL should replace it 4 a few years. Bad - no problems with it. WOWY - There's other stuff in the catalogue that can be alternated with it.

The ONE song U left out that is overkilled is Pride. No mas!

And as for "One".... a stripped-down acoustic version earlier in the setlist would b good 4 the next tour.

WOWY - They should stop the live versions now because they can't do it anymore.

Other than that, all fine.

phillyfan26 said:
WOWY - They should stop the live versions now because they can't do it anymore.

Other than that, all fine.

I'm not talking about live versions (I also don't like the live version of WOWY). Just the album versions.

BANZAI said:

I'm not talking about live versions (I also don't like the live version of WOWY). Just the album versions.

Right. The studio versions are all excellent.

The album version of Bad feels flat, but thats because i'd heard it on bootlegs and DVDs before i listen to the album version.

WOWY doesn't do much for me on the album version either. It's nice, but....

Streets rocks.

ISHFWILF is a 'classic' i'm totally over.

coolian2 said:

Exactly, ISHFWILF doesn't hold up over long term listening. WOWY, Streets and Bad work because they are vague lyrically and so they apt to have a deeper meaning for a listener. Songs like ISHFWILF, Vertigo and Beautiful Day don't or won't survive constant listening because they are so superficial lyrically.

Screwtape2 said:
Vertigo and Beautiful Day don't or won't survive constant listening because they are so superficial lyrically.
U2 are not only successful in english-speacking countries, people love their music, Bono's voice, etc.
I don't think that Polish, French, Germans, etc. care of Bono's lyrics too much.
If Vertigo and Beautiful Day won't survive, it will be for different reasons than something related to lyrics.

guill said:

U2 are not only successful in english-speacking countries, people love their music, Bono's voice, etc.
I don't think that Polish, French, Germans, etc. care of Bono's lyrics too much.
If Vertigo and Beautiful Day won't survive, it will be for different reasons than something related to lyrics.

I respectfully disagree. It doesn't matter what language the lyrics are in, people naturally to try to figure out the meaning of art. Since, the songs are superficial lyrically, people are less apt to create a connection with the songs. This is the reason alot of so-called classics don't appear on the lists of favorite songs. IMO.

Screwtape2 said:
Vertigo and Beautiful Day don't or won't survive constant listening because they are so superficial lyrically.

Vertigo is, Beautiful Day is not. The verses to Beautiful Day are very well-written in my opinion.

oh yes I love all three of these songs

but I think ISHFWILF, One, and Pride belong in these debates as well.

they're just so amazing, like watching Snakes on a Plane as an in-flight movie.

coolian2 said:

word. though it's good on the album, I never dug any of the live versions. really, it's one of the worst songs on JT.

As for the three songs listed initially - nope, love 'em all. especially WOWY. sometimes that is my favourite song ever.

I've gone through phases with WOWY. I loved it at first - I wasn't a U2 fan then and hadn't really listened to JT. I did have a cassette, but I would mostly just play the first three songs and then rewind it. :)
Then I fell in love with the whole album, and I stopped liking the three singles so much because I'd heard them too often. Familiarity does breed contempt. RTSS, Exit, One Tree Hill, and BTBS were my favourites.
Then I got to the point where the whole album was equally familiar to me, and also I'd seen that documentary about the making of JT, so I began to appreciate WOWY anew. And I loved it again.

Streets to me was always better live (not that I've seen a live show except on video) - I'm still in "heard it too much" mode to be in love with it or ISHFWILF.
Same goes for One and definitely Pride, which was never a favourite of mine.

Bad is just good. :)

Maybe it's not true for everyone, but overexposure is still the main reason I'll stop liking a song I initially liked. Whether it's the media who overdo it (I cannot stand the super-high-rotation treatment that most radio stations succumb to on the latest obvious hit), or whether it's just me getting sick of my cheap mp3 player having a skewed idea of what "random" means, I'm still capable of getting sick of U2 songs.

Those three are always great. Always. I'd also add Beautiful Day to the list. It's already a classic in my eye. But if you were to put Pride on that list? :yikes: Can't say I enjoy that one anymore.

Screwtape2 said:

Exactly, ISHFWILF doesn't hold up over long term listening. WOWY, Streets and Bad work because they are vague lyrically and so they apt to have a deeper meaning for a listener. Songs like ISHFWILF, Vertigo and Beautiful Day don't or won't survive constant listening because they are so superficial lyrically.

I disagree with everything single letter you wrote. :sexywink:

Seriously, I find your words rather odd.

"I Still..." holds up VERY well after repeated listening. I'm not even a huge JT fan, but even I still feel this way, almost 20 years after JT was released. There's a reason the song became a huge hit and is still loved in concert.

"Vague lyrically" is a really condescending and a very roundabout compliment. I would say these songs, like just about all of Bono's lyrics, are more open to interpretation. But really, lyrics only go so far - it's the music and passion of these songs. On the album, WOWY is perhaps U2/Bono at their most passionate. In concert, U2 have clearly changed how they perform WOWY. In the JT/R&H era, it was this passionate ballad with roaring Bono vocals. But that gets old fast. The song is open to interpretation and I'd be disappointed if U2 performed it the same way now as they did in 1988. So while WOWY is still this passionate ballad, Bono has made it more soulful, writhing around on stage floor with a woman or dancing slowly with her while singing. The focus shifted away from passionate singing to passionate actions. For this reason, many fans don't like it - they can't see, only hear. They hear the JT era boots and feel U2 aren't as passionate, when that's not true.

This brings my to your comments on lyrics. WOWY is a great example of VERY simple lyrics. You attack "Beautiful Day", which I feel is one of Bono's best lyrical songs as that is open to interpreation (why is it a beautiful day? what happened to that person to have this revelation? what does beautiful day really mean?), yet indirectly imply that WOWY is some lyrical masterpiece. I don't get it. "Beautiful Day" is a song about personal salvation as well as recognizing the beauty in the world as a whole. "Vertigo" is more like WOWY in that the lyrics are "vague", to use your term, but it still open to interpretation. Who is dizzy and why? Who is being saved and by whom? Plus, "Vertigo" is just a great rocking song. The best lyrics in the world won't work if the song doesn't inspire people. Great music can overcome simpler lyrics (not that I find any lyrics here "simple"), but great lyrics rarely overcome uninspiring music.

An outstanding song will always remain popular in concert. Just look at "Discotheque" - it originally captured the public's attention, but very quickly faded. People still love the hook, but this song just doesn't get the crowd roaring. In contrast, "Streets", "WOWY", "One", Beautiful Day", "Bad" and "Vertigo" do. So whether you prefer the album version, an old live version or a recent live version, these songs will remain classics with fans.

Screwtape2 said:

I respectfully disagree. It doesn't matter what language the lyrics are in, people naturally to try to figure out the meaning of art. Since, the songs are superficial lyrically, people are less apt to create a connection with the songs. This is the reason alot of so-called classics don't appear on the lists of favorite songs. IMO.

Remenber when you were a kid, i'm sure that you loved songs and never tried to understand them. You just loved the rythm and the voice.
It's the same situation when you listen to a foreign language song (how many American kids understand Rammstein lyrics ?).

"Baby you can drive my car" or "i wanna hold your hand" are not very Shakespearian but they are eternal songs.

I honestly cant think of a u2 song i dont like as hard as that may seem to believe. I like the 3 songs mentioned however...........i feel there is far too much faith shown in certainly WOWY and especially Streets in the live shows. I think its time they was put back in their box for a while. There are any number of u2 songs that could take their place and merit an airing.

I hope U2 will finally scrap off Pride from their concerts for a while.

It has become very lame in my eyes. It could be replaced with so many songs that arent played anymore.

Last night on earth, Gone, Please, Stay you name it.

Pride off of "Unforgettable Fire" can make me want to jump and shout and sing along at the top of my lungs.

Pride live has ALWAYS, for some reason, made me want to leave as fast as I can wherever it is that is playing Pride live. Live versions of Pride have just never worked for me, ever. Which is so sad, because it's been played at every U2 show I've been to and the crowd just goes wild while I sit there and think it just doesn't sound good. It's got no UMPH! like the "Unforgettable Fire" version. It just sounds flat live, like everything is one-dimensional instead of coming at you from all sides, and from the inside, like the recorded version.

As to the original 3, I agree with thefly418 that Bad, WTSHNN and WOWY are 3 of my favorite U2 songs of all time. I have not, and probably will not, ever stop loving them or ever get tired of them.

In my top U2 we have

1) Wowy
2) Mysterious Ways
3) Bad

I imagine a lot of U2 fans will have 1 of the original 3 in their top 3/5/10 songs.

Canadiens1160 said:
If we're talking live, WOWY has been crap live for ages.

Streets and Bad are enough to make me :drool: I love hearing them unexpectedly and live just gives me chills.

Even though I like the song....It needs to be shelved and maybe replaced with something from Achtung Baby.

Last edited:
I'm in no position to say what's better but here are the classics that are still alive to me and the ones that are dead:

Alive and Kicking:
Streets
Bad
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet

Classic But the Live Versions Are Dead:
One
New Years Day
Pride

The Dead Classics (live or in any other form:
WOWY
ISHFWILF

The test of a great song is it stands the test of time over repeated, unrelenting plays. WOWY and ISHFWILF don't for me.

Canadiens1160 said:
If we're talking live, WOWY has been crap live for ages.

like since the 90's?

it was great when they played it in the 80's, since then...

Bad is awesome, but again the live performance has declined since the 80's.

Streets can still be good live, but not as good as it once was.

as far as album versions go:

Streets :up:

Bad - what album is it on again? ;)

With Or Without You - good.

Back
Top Bottom