People don't like Bono???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad Bono is using his celebrity might to at least do something or try to do something for the world's unfortunate.

But I can also see why he is hated. I'm not the least bit surprised. I think it's because of the way he comes off on stage. His stance, the speeches, the affectations, the whole attitude and image esp. off late (after 2000) comes off too politician like. It rubs people the wrong way. Forget the political stuff. Even the gestures, exaggerated movements and lying down on the stage etc. on the Chicago video made me cringe! :yuck:

I greatly admire Bono for his charity and political work. I just think at this point, he should just decide on what career path to follow. I think he would get a lot more done if he just up and quit the band, and I think the band would get loads better if he just up and quit the politics. It seems to me right now you get a pretty good representation of both careers, instead of just one amazing one.

It's funny sometimes how some U2 fans are a bit insular. Probably 60-70% of people you'd talk to on the street think the Boner's a fucking egotistical twat. :lol:

ozeeko said:
I greatly admire Bono for his charity and political work. I just think at this point, he should just decide on what career path to follow. I think he would get a lot more done if he just up and quit the band, and I think the band would get loads better if he just up and quit the politics. It seems to me right now you get a pretty good representation of both careers, instead of just one amazing one.

Mm-hmm.

I can see the joy and light on the posts following the news Bono quit U2 over his activism right now.

U2girl said:

Mm-hmm.

I can see the joy and light on the posts following the news Bono quit U2 over his activism right now.

If it meant no more dropping BOMBS, I would certainly feel the joy.

Canadiens1160 said:
Probably 60-70% of people you'd talk to on the street think the Boner's a fucking egotistical twat. :lol:

Funny, the very same percentage believe Bono likes codfish nuggets as an occasional backstage snack. This is accurate to within +/- 3.65 percentage points. (19 times out of 20).

Ever since I have been a U2 fan in the late 80s a widespread hate for Bono by very loud people has been around. No matter what hes been doing, they have always hated him for one reason or another. Whether it be ego, politics, the way he dresses, the way he makes music, the way he talks....these people will always find something to go on about. This is really nothing new. People hate celebs that have a lot of money and a mouth and a brain that goes with it. I am glad that Bono stands up for his opnions I wish that more people would do that.

As for Bono being a walking cliche I think he has to do that because the majority of the world, even those that go to U2 concerts never get out of their own little bubble and learn about world events or watch the news or read a book once in awhile so it takes somebody they look up to to bring attention to an issue, and I see nothing wrong with that.

i just can't believe that some people on our blue planet don't like mr. boner. mmmhh :scratch: because he is such a nice guy...
maybe he is a loudmouth and a blubbering fluffbunny sometimes, but in general he still is our holy man St Boner.

Maybe some criticisms are warranted. Now personally I’m a massive fan of him, but I can’t help question if he donates large sums of his own money to Africa and the poor. He calls himself a “believer” trying to be a practising Christian and quotes scripture often. The scriptures call for the rich (like him) to give their money to the poor. I’d like to know if he does or not…..

But I don't want to judge him because I really admire his work, he is saving lives and that’s what counts.

A lot of Bono haters, yet how does he stay on top of the world regardless?

Hate and Love go hand in hand. My experience has been that the very things that lovers love are the things that the haters hate. He is what he is. We are what we are.

I envy the fact that while I also have people who love and hate me.... I'll never get to have it on so grand a scale.

ah, another sneaky attack on Bomb off-topic

ozeeko said:

If it meant no more dropping BOMBS, I would certainly feel the joy.

I can only wish for albums as strong as Bomb song-per-song in the future.

I like Bono's singing voice, but that's about it. I listen(ed) to U2 for the music and nothing else.

most of the people like him, millions around the world love him, and there could be people who dont like him of course.....like a friend of mine, who's uncle worked closely with Pinochet and now blames Bono for the talking which led to his detention and all that:wink:

I have found that most people who don't like Bono don't know anything about the crisis in Africa. It's amazing what some people don't know.

I sometimes find it quite ironic that people who know Bono or have met him for any length of time including other celebs and politicians all seem to say what a great guy he is -charming, witty, inspirational, astute etc etc whereas a lot of the general public see him as a sanctimonious egotistical hypocrite who should get off his soap box. Obviously in a lot of these cases they are only going by bad press coverage and don't realise or appreciate at all what he is trying to do. However from my own experience others are well aware of the make poverty history campaign and so on but can’t stand the way Bono comes across, saying he’s too patronising, clichéd, cheesy and so on. In comparison Bob Geldof doesn’t generally generate so many negative comments as he seems more down to earth.
I really admire Bono and what he’s doing but I have to agree that some of his statements are truly cringe worthy. He probably couldn't give a toss what people think of him and would say that as long as he’s making them aware of the problems that‘s what counts. I worry though that the way he acts may turn some people off the issues - “oh no here’s Bono preaching again”and an element of charity fatigue sets in.

I understand what the critics are saying, but could you all give specific examples of Bono's statements coming off as cringe worthy, cheesey ect...?
Seriously, he doesn't come off that way to me when he speaks. I find him to be very inspirational no matter how many times I hear the same words coming out of his mouth.

Do you think it's probably just because we have heard his plea so many times?

Think of all the people who have never witnessed a U2 concert, or even know what the One Campaign is....
I believe he approaches each concert/speech with that in mind.... from the stand point of someone who's never heard it.

Bono's mannerisms annoy me. I've only watched the Chicago DVD the whole way through once, so I can't remember which song this was in. I think it was in Sunday Bloody Sunday during the "Jesus, Jew, Muhammed, it's true" bit. He kind of shrugs his shoulders and does a silly pout.

When he pouts like that, I cringe.

I saw some youtube clips the other day featuring ZooTV era interviews, Bono giving the Frank Sinatra speech at the grammies, and the POP press conference in Kmart. I thought Bono was cool as hell during those times, because he just seemed so cut off from everything else that was happening, and he didn't give a shit. He seemed to like confusing the pants off people.

The Bono now just seems like he's aiming to please everyone with how good of a guy he is. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just the impression I get.

ozeeko said:
I saw some youtube clips the other day featuring ZooTV era interviews, Bono giving the Frank Sinatra speech at the grammies, and the POP press conference in Kmart. I thought Bono was cool as hell during those times, because he just seemed so cut off from everything else that was happening, and he didn't give a shit. He seemed to like confusing the pants off people.

The Bono now just seems like he's aiming to please everyone with how good of a guy he is. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just the impression I get.

:up:

ozeeko said:

Wow really? It's the opposite for me.
But I agree with you that his cool quotiant has gone down in recent years because he has evolved into an open book wearing his heart on his sleeve.
It's too bad that isn't seen as cool, but I have a feeling that he could give a rats ass about what people think in that regard.

Maybe with the next album we will get a return to the mysterious Bono. I kinda doubt it though. It's like opening pandora's box. Once it's open, it's open.
Oh well... people change as time goes on.

That Frank Sinatra speech is absolutely brilliant.

I have a friend who simply refuses to even acknowledge a liking for any U2 music because of Bono. We argue about it all the time. Bono doesn't always give me much of a hand though. We saw that episode of Entourage the other day with U2 in it, and the performance of City of Blinding Lights, and there's Bono, arms raised to the heavens... my friend just looks at me with this "You've got to be f*cking kidding" look, and I must admit, I had nothing to say in Bono's defence.

I do however think that it's all about how much you are exposed to him. If you just get the occasional soundbite, quote or clip, I can understand thinking he's a wanker, but anyone who reads a bit more generally swings his way. I had another friend who liked U2 but thought Bono was a bit of a twat, then saw him on Denton recently (Australian tv show) and came away incredibly impressed. I do think exposure is the difference. That and it would help to drop the sunglasses at certain times.

I agree with you, I can see what he can appear to be to others, I get that all the time, you have to really know as much as you can about him in order to understand where hes coming from. The media only gives you a glimpse into his charachter.

Earnie Shavers said:
That Frank Sinatra speech is absolutely brilliant.

I have a friend who simply refuses to even acknowledge a liking for any U2 music because of Bono. We argue about it all the time. Bono doesn't always give me much of a hand though. We saw that episode of Entourage the other day with U2 in it, and the performance of City of Blinding Lights, and there's Bono, arms raised to the heavens... my friend just looks at me with this "You've got to be f*cking kidding" look, and I must admit, I had nothing to say in Bono's defence.

I do however think that it's all about how much you are exposed to him. If you just get the occasional soundbite, quote or clip, I can understand thinking he's a wanker, but anyone who reads a bit more generally swings his way. I had another friend who liked U2 but thought Bono was a bit of a twat, then saw him on Denton recently (Australian tv show) and came away incredibly impressed. I do think exposure is the difference. That and it would help to drop the sunglasses at certain times.

GibsonGirl said:
I like Bono's singing voice, but that's about it. I listen(ed) to U2 for the music and nothing else.
I have Search™ now, don't make me use it :kiss:

Its cooler to be a social hermit like Thom Yorke who cant step outside his house he might get eaten up by all the big buildings outside, and the planes trains and automobiles, I imagine if Thom went to meet George Bush or anybody remotely political hed probably write a great song about the world ending, even better then the ones he writes now.

Back
Top Bottom