Peaked with PopMart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pop Pius V

The Fly
it's my view that PopMart was our favorite band at it's most audacious, energetic, daring and dangerous.

I feel that by going out guns blazing, selling pop in the way they did was as good as ZooTv but better because with PopMart they could draw on Achtung as well as their new album and all their material up to that point. I think by taking this chance, their disguises, their whole pop experience they were equally powerful and vulnerable which I think is a sign of artists at their peak.

I don't know if we'll have the opportunity to see anything as huge and amazing as popmart was.

Can we ever expect anything like that again or is the uninhibited Rock Star finally gone for good.

Need my definition of rock star as I see it?

Bono as the fly in ZooTV or Bono in the muscle shirt singing mofo or even better than the real thing. Also bono in the bubble suit singing HMTMKMKM

i just hope for some more creativity on the next tour, even if its not huge. the vertigo tour just seemed like a rehash of old ideas, which was a bit disappointing.

i dont know how many big tours they have left in them, so the next one might be their last shot at something big and crazy.

Pop Pius V said:
it's my view that PopMart was our favorite band at it's most audacious, energetic, daring and dangerous.

no. they were at an artistic and creative low, frustrated and desperate. ended up trying to play it safe by following the hip musical trends of the time.

the opening show in vegas was clear evidence. they really didn't have a clue what they were doing.

best u2 tour? zoo-tv, putas.

Zootlesque said:

I don't think so. That thread is about the album, not the tour!

Semantics. :rolleyes:

Anyway, U2's peak was the Zooropa leg of Zoo TV with MacPhisto. That's a fact. You can write it down.

Re: Re: Peaked with PopMart?

U2Man said:
no. they were at an artistic and creative low, frustrated and desperate. ended up trying to play it safe by following the hip musical trends of the time.

the opening show in vegas was clear evidence. they really didn't have a clue what they were doing.

Nonsense! The opening show has nothing to do with which tour was overall more enjoyable. You cannot beat a setlist such as this one...

Mofo
I Will Follow
Gone
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Last Night On Earth
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Pride
I Still Haven't Found
All I Want Is You
Desire
Staring At The Sun
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky
Please
Where the Streets Have No Name

Discotheque/Life During Wartime
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
With or Without You
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Mysterious Ways
One
Wake Up Dead Man

It's like the best of The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Pop, UF, War, R&H all put together and rolled into one show! :drool:

Re: Re: Re: Peaked with PopMart?

Zootlesque said:

Nonsense! The opening show has nothing to do with which tour was overall more enjoyable. You cannot beat a setlist such as this one...

Mofo
I Will Follow
Gone
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Last Night On Earth
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Pride
I Still Haven't Found
All I Want Is You
Desire
Staring At The Sun
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky
Please
Where the Streets Have No Name

Discotheque/Life During Wartime
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
With or Without You
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Mysterious Ways
One
Wake Up Dead Man

It's like the best of The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Pop, UF, War, R&H all put together and rolled into one show! :drool:

While the ZooTV experience was better, that is a killer set of songs.

quite frankly, the only real creative highlights of the pop tour was the please->streets transition and the new vibe of one and streets. the rest was just...meh.

taking the bridge out of i will follow? :barf:

karaoke version of with or without you? terrible.

watch how many old tired warhorses the show still had.

and discotheque sucked just as hard live as it did on the cd.

As awesome as Zoo TV was... the whole experience, the true highlight of it was RTSS/Streets! Otherwise it was just an advertisement for Achtung Baby/Zooropa. More so than Popmart was for Pop, don't ya think?

Whereas, I thought Popmart was a more well rounded tour!

popmart, zoo-tv's little brother, wanted to be as big and wonderful as his big brother. so he took some steroids. he grew bigger in size, but he never reached his big brother's charm and sophistication.

U2Man said:
popmart, zoo-tv's little brother, wanted to be as big and wonderful as his big brother. so he took some steroids. he grew bigger in size, but he never reached his big brother's charm and sophistication.

Yes, yes! This is true. A Scooby snack for you, my good man.

dude, zoo-tv was the tour any u2-fan would wish they had attended.

(with axver being the only exception).

Zootlesque said:
As awesome as Zoo TV was... the whole experience, the true highlight of it was RTSS/Streets! Otherwise it was just an advertisement for Achtung Baby/Zooropa. More so than Popmart was for Pop, don't ya think?

Whereas, I thought Popmart was a more well rounded tour!

Doesn't any band want to play songs from their newest album?

The last concert I went to, Bright Eyes, played 9 songs from the last album out of a 15 song set and they sounded as good as the older songs. I guess it all comes down to the new material holding up with the older stuff, and with Achtung Baby, it did.

zootv and popmart are like venus and serana williams, both amazing and often playing each other for the title

Back
Top Bottom