Peaked with PopMart? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

wow... that is actually a pretty good analogy...
i agree, except for the fact its way off

Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:22 PM
dude, zoo-tv was the tour any u2-fan would wish they had attended.

(with axver being the only exception).

Old 05-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #23
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
As awesome as Zoo TV was... the whole experience, the true highlight of it was RTSS/Streets! Otherwise it was just an advertisement for Achtung Baby/Zooropa. More so than Popmart was for Pop, don't ya think?

Whereas, I thought Popmart was a more well rounded tour!
Doesn't any band want to play songs from their newest album?

The last concert I went to, Bright Eyes, played 9 songs from the last album out of a 15 song set and they sounded as good as the older songs. I guess it all comes down to the new material holding up with the older stuff, and with Achtung Baby, it did.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

zootv and popmart are like venus and serana williams, both amazing and often playing each other for the title
Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

dude, zoo-tv was the tour any u2-fan would wish they had attended.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Zoo TV vs PopMart = Apples Vs Oranges
Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
zootv and popmart are like venus and serana williams, both amazing and often playing each other for the title
you win "analogy wars" round 1
Old 05-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

you win "analogy wars" round 1
he would, except for the fact that he's way off.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #29
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

he would, except for the fact that he's way off.
...Zing!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Pop Pius IV would have never started such a silly thread...
Old 05-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #31
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Lamp
Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 PM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:22 AM
I have nothing to add to the conversation at hand. I would just like to state for the record that I think Pop Pius V is an awesome user name.

Carry on.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:54 AM   #33
War Child

Yeah, Pop Plus V is indeed an awesome user name, and he/she makes a damned good point. When since then have we seen balls to the wall songs in the same setlist like HMTMKMKM, MOFO, LAST NIGHT ON EARTH?

Am I the only one at the Vertigo and Elevation shows that was thinking "HMTMKMKM" should be a live staple? Same with LNOE and MOFO, matter of fact (As well as Gone and Discotheque... especially that awesome version from Chicago Vertigo)

When I go see a band I want to hear them represent the bulk of their work, at least to some degree. And I would rather hear HMTMKMKM than SYCMOYO any day of the week.

Don't get me wrong, I like both songs, but which one would you rather hear in a stadium full of people (or an arena, as it were)... and while we are on the subject, why not stadiums. I know they may not be financially viable in the states anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't miss the days of melt your face off stadium shows.

Anyone else remember when the skyward spotlights (nightsmashers) during Bullet The Blue Sky on PopMart had local folk (especially in the Midwest) calling the authorities because they thought they were seeing UFOs?

To me that is the true sign of a band really cranking it up. Maybe POPMART was U2 on steriods. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

i would kill to go back and see a Popmart show.
No joke.

Long Live Pop Plus V
Old 05-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #34
Refugee

Well, I don't think you really can compare two tours –*with a decade inbetween – and say, you should set this in, take this out. Different times ...

Behind the POPmart screen '97/'98 was the idea to top the ZOO TV extravaganza '92/'93, to push the concept of "giant stage, giant technology, irony and music" to another level.
And U2 were sucessful in that: They recorded an (exerimental) album, you've not expected by them; they managed a show, you've never seen before (and later) and so they've written a new chapter in rock performences.
But all this glory had an enormous dark side, that became more and more visble. The deadline for the already booked tour dates forced U2 to work constantly on the album under time pressure (we all know this from our everyday jobs, but for U2's creativity and scheduly it's obviously not, what they want). The finished product (what I estimate one of their best works ever!) was not exactly, what they wanted. And another problem: How can we play this strange, compicated low-fi sounding stuff live?

All this uncertainty, the existing musical problems and the economical pressure never left the ambitious four completely during the tour, famous for its great visual ideas (many of them never completed), its stunning music (that sadly was embedded in rather staple, repetetive setlists night after night) and rather comic appearances especially of Bono & The Edge, that let many fans (me included) shake their heads. Examples? U2 destroyed old war horses like "I Will Follow", the B-stage spontaneity was gone as were anthems like "Bad" – instead we were every night singing crap tunes Karaoke. And the last encore, finishing with "One" plus nippet was the least uninspired idea, U2 ever realized in closing a gig.
The truth is: In all its grandezza, POPmart meant the the technics ruling out the music & the songs, putting U2 as musicians in the shadow. Whatever U2 will head for –*please never let it happen again!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:09 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

It would be their peak visually, if it wasn't for Zoo TV a few years earlier, the weak Bono's vox, the outfits and that karaoke stuff. I concurr it had the strongest flowing setlist.

I don't know...they may well try another huge tour but it will get compared to Zoo TV and Popmart quickly. Like the indoor Vertigo got comparisons to Elevation.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:37 AM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I don't know...they may well try another huge tour but it will get compared to Zoo TV and Popmart quickly. Like the indoor Vertigo got comparisons to Elevation.
Worst still, Vertigo outdoor being compared to Popmart.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 AM   #37
Refugee

ZOOtv (No.1) & POPmart (No.2) are the most mindblowing tours ever.... MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOfooooooooooooooooo
Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 AM   #38
Babyface

And here are the votes from the Zooropean jury:
8 points goes to... Popmart!
10 points goes to... Zoo TV!
12 points goes to... Zooropa!

Popmart: Good fun, but to static setlist and not that killer material that Zoo TV and Zooropa had. And that karaoke thing was really far to cheesy, for me anyhow. Please stood out as the best song in the setlist.

Zoo TV/Zooropa: Groundbreaking. Hysterical. Over the top, in every single way. And U2 in top form, no doubt. Excellent versions av Zoo Station, Streets, Bad.

What I would want? U2 in big stadiums with a show not so much built around videowalls, but more with lights, lights and more lights (and a new form of catwalk, stretching further out into the crowd).
Old 05-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 01:22 PM
Actually, I would say the quite opposite of you, Olov:

ZooTV/Zooropa: Good fun, but to static setlist ...
Popmart: Groundbreaking. Hysterical. Over the top, in every single way. And U2 in top form, no doubt.

You have to admit that ZooTV had static setlists, and Popmart much more exciting setlist. I just love the whole idea behind Popmart. Pure genious. Too bad they didn't do it today.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Both setlist were static, but they were both great. ZooTV setlist had some balls by U2 playing 8-9 AB songs from the get go. Popmart was just a killer set. Covered everything while capturing (and making better) the Pop songs.

As for Popmart being U2's highest creative point. I agree. Who comes out of a Lemon?

ZooTV wanted to blow your mind.

Popmart wanted to kick your a**.

And both succeeded with flying colors