PC versus MAC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow you're in a very topic posting mood tonite.
wink.gif

PC all the way!

I tried to work a MAC once and almost ripped all my hair out.

icon24.gif

------------------
These days, days, days run away like horses over the hill...

Sicy's Website

Photo Albums

i like macs for web authoring and graphic design and i enjoy my pc for playing games and surfing the net.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Actually its Sunday afternoon where I am - which is the East Coast of Australia.
I'm recovering from a hang over, so I'm too incapacited to do anything else at the moment.
I think about a lot of silly things when I'm sobering up. I had so many topics earlier, most of which I've forgot.

I prefer PC for my graphic design. There is a PC version for about 99% of Mac software anyway. Plus Windows interface is so much nicer than Macs. Espcially when you've got a dosen programs running at once and you're swapping back and forth between them constantly. Macs don't seem to have a very clever way of arranging their windows - unless there something I'm missing.
Its just shocking trying to sift through a sea of windows to find the one I want on a Mac. With PC its a simple click on the task bar and you're there. But with Mac its a nightmare!

Hehehe....MAC ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

BeLIEve you me....i work with PC's all the time, and they are enjoyable to work with....BUT

when it comes down to it...I love my mac!!!!

------------------
"The world is often a wicked place, when you look around, but it's also full of beauty...and beauty is the consolation prize really...and we just have to find more of it and we have to look for it in unexpected places...its not just in those fashion spreads,
that's not real beauty...There is beauty to be found in everyday things."
?Bono
http://home.pacbell.net/sylviaji/

Umm PC. But I've never used a Mac so my opinion is void.

Originally posted by SailorJi_2:
Hehehe....MAC ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

BeLIEve you me....i work with PC's all the time, and they are enjoyable to work with....BUT

when it comes down to it...I love my mac!!!!

And why is it MAC all the way?
Why do you prefer those awkward things?

PCs because it has great multitasking and better resource efficiency. The Mac OS can only carry out single-tasks; hence, why you can never get anything running in the background very well, unless you have a dual processor machine. The memory never seems to be enough, even though it has like 250 MB of memory by default, and it pisses me off. Yes, contrary to popular opinion, they do crash quite a bit (more than Windows 2000/XP), and it's nasty when they do.

However, I hear Mac OS X has multitasking now, and is a marked improvement over Mac OS 9.x, along with being UNIX-based, but it currently has severe compatibility issues with older software. Maybe I'll play with it in a few years.

So, my vote goes for PCs.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Mac Mac Mac Mac Mac. They are more user-friendly. I used a PC my whole life, like everyone else, before I got to college and I was confused too when I first started to use them in my graphic design classes. It is hard for me to explain why I like them more, but I find that it is just plain easier to find everything. Also, I find type looks much better on a Mac - there is more anti-aliasing (type doesn't look as jagged).

You don't have to go to "Start" to turn the computer OFF, either. LOL

People never give us a chance.
frown.gif

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:

PC all the way!

I tried to work a MAC once and almost ripped all my hair out.

Switch these and that's me. MACs let you drive the car. PCs want you to fly the fighter jet. MACs are very easy to use. PCs have too many unneccessary buttons, bells, and whistles. MACs are the unloved stepchild for support and programming, though. Everything is designed for PCs and, oh yeah, it'll run on a MAC, too. We think.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

I love Mac's...

I've heard it said that PC's are like have a Ford Mustang that may be faster than the BMW that you looked at but the dash will crack, the seats are uncomfortable and you wish that you had bought the luxury car instead.

Also, there are many commands that are faster on the mac simply because of the build of the Mac...the info may travel slower, but it doesn't have as far to travel because of the better design of the chips...

OK, I'll leave this for now but I love Mac's and I also love the keyboards and the optic mouse...
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Midnight is where the day begins..."

I have a question from my friend Jordan.

Other than Napster, which is complete shit now... Is there any peer to peer file sharing software for macs? He looked for Morpheus but as far as he could tell, there was only pc versions and such.

Any suggestions?

Here is reason enough....

....because there is itunes....a kickass mp3 player that blows away just about anything! ( Oh yeah....ipod too cause they hold 1000 songs!)

....MACs are not prone to thousands and thousands of PC viruses.

....the GUI (graphical user interface) for the mac is streamlined, easy to use, and well....just nicer to look at.

....PC's have this "uninstall" thing right? Heh, that's cause when you install something...it dumps a whole lot of files that you can't keep track of. With a mac removing a program is simple and easily indentified by it's type and the program that created it.

....MAC support is excellent!!

....MACs, although a bit higher priced, they come with higher quality components. Sure a PC is inexpensive, but they are expensive to maintain.

...My computer animation professors always give descrptions such as "More like a mac". Do you hear things such as "More like windows," ? haha...never!

....hmm...didn't the computer Bill Gates used at a WIndows convention crash?

...macs are far superior in networking

...MACs are compatible with PCs, unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way around.

There are a ton of more reasons why I prefer macs than pcs. I like using macs for graphics, publishing, and digital work. Macs are far superior in the digital/photography/graphic design/illustration field than pcs. Sure they're aren't many programs for macs as there are PC's, but i have the programs that count: Photoshop, Maya, word, internet stuff, games....none of that superflous stuff that is a waste of money for pcs.

BUT, although i am a Mac loyalist, i use pc's quite often, everyday in fact. I do a lot of visual effects and animation, so i use pcs and SGI's...yet when i get home, using my mac is like a fresh breath of air.

------------------
"The world is often a wicked place, when you look around, but it's also full of beauty...and beauty is the consolation prize really...and we just have to find more of it and we have to look for it in unexpected places...its not just in those fashion spreads,
that's not real beauty...There is beauty to be found in everyday things."
?Bono
http://home.pacbell.net/sylviaji/

I'm glad everyone posting here isn't getting mean
wink.gif
Whever I have computer conversations with people I always end up defending my poor imac from people saying it is crap. I like how no one here is doing that and simply letting everyone express their opinions. That said...I absoluetly love my mac. I grew up on them although I also know how to use PC's fairly well. I think what I like best about it is its dependibility. My roommate's PC has totallty broken down twice already (of course could be her particular computer) and the worst problem I have had is the screen freezing. But obvioulsy more softwear and stuff is developed for PC's. I guess i like them both but I prefer using macs.

PC all the way. I've had to use both in college and grad school. In journalism school especially they emphasis Macs for things like Photoshop, Quark [a newspaper layout program] and other graphic programs. But I really don't see a difference between the Mac and PC when it comes to graphics interfaces-- maybe because I'm just doing basic stuff.

And Macs as so unstable. I can't tell you how many times a Mac has crashed on me and I've lost stuff.

I have Aimster and a version of Gnutella called Mactella. Aimster looks a lot like Napster.

There is another program called Limewire - do not download it unless you have OS X! When they wrote the program they screwed up and didn't do something right when it came to writing the Java script. I got it and it never worked (I only have OS 9 and it froze up every time. When I went to the official message board for it, they said this error is only fixed by having OS X.

To the person who made the optical mouse comment - I love it as well! No mousepad!

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
I have a question from my friend Jordan.

Other than Napster, which is complete shit now... Is there any peer to peer file sharing software for macs? He looked for Morpheus but as far as he could tell, there was only pc versions and such.

Any suggestions?

It's all about open source. LINUX!! "Give me liberty or give me death!"

PC with Red Hat!

Linus Torvalds and penguins!! lol
smile.gif

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs can kiss my arse!!

I'm a PC user, but I haven't had much experience with Macs at all, so I'm not one to judge.

BUT

If I EVER am forced to use one of those iMac round mice again, I am going to put it in my toaster, set the toaster to cook for 10 minutes, smash the toaster with a hammer, remove the mouse, jump up and down on it for a while, throw it down a storm drain, retrieve it, run over it with a really heavy truck, and leave it in a limestone quarry with a sign that says: "Unacceptable mouse: Please leave undisturbed for three thousand years."

Althought one thing that kinda bugs me is how Apple always uses "design" as one of their selling points. Who cares how it looks?! It's a computer!

I prefer Macs cause the user interface is more intuitive (much simpler to use in the long run), and in my experience they're more stable. I've never lost any data on my computer, and any crashes or forced reboots I've had are almost always due to third party software. And Macs are much, much easier to service than PCs, too. Plus installling new hardware is much easier on Mac. You plug it in, install the software, and boom, it works flawlessly, no endless hours configuring.

I also like the fact that Apple is a trendsetter in the computer industry (design (iMac & colors), FireWire, adopting USB, etc).

Not that I have a grudge against PCs, though. I like PCs, but I love Macs.
smile.gif
And in this day and age, it's really just a matter of personal choice - you can get the same thing done on both platforms, it's just what suits your preferences better.

I must be the only one on the planet who didn't have a problem with the round mouse.

As far as design goes, it IS a big factor in terms of sales - mostly with people who are not computer people or previously non-Mac users. It's eye candy.

Originally posted by Squid:
I'm a PC user, but I haven't had much experience with Macs at all, so I'm not one to judge.

BUT

If I EVER am forced to use one of those iMac round mice again, I am going to put it in my toaster, set the toaster to cook for 10 minutes, smash the toaster with a hammer, remove the mouse, jump up and down on it for a while, throw it down a storm drain, retrieve it, run over it with a really heavy truck, and leave it in a limestone quarry with a sign that says: "Unacceptable mouse: Please leave undisturbed for three thousand years."

Althought one thing that kinda bugs me is how Apple always uses "design" as one of their selling points. Who cares how it looks?! It's a computer!

like i give a fuck, they both seem the same to me, put both of their top quality pcs to the test and you will likely get the same thing.

~rougerum

PC all the way...HOWEVER...one caveat...

I wish someone would hurry the hell up and come up with a PC equivalent to the Macintosh iPod--that thing ROCKS!!!

1,000 songs, 10 hours of continuous play...all on a little critter the size of a deck of cards, GAH!!! And with Mac FireWire you can download all 1,000 songs in like, 10 minutes (whereas USB takes 5 hours--GAH!).

Would LOVE one of these, but am not about to go back to a Mac to get it!

disco

Originally posted by Mr_Phes:
Which do you prefer?
PC or MAC?
And WHY?

I've always been a PC user, and the reason why I keep using them is simple: no MAC user has ever come up with a good reason for me to switch. They look damn good, but all my software is for DOS/Windows, so I'm not even considering it, really. Besides (apart from a couple of people on this thread), when I do ask MAC/Linux users why they use their particular system, the answer I get is usually along the lines of, "Because it rulez!"

I use an iMac which I am totally happy with. My dad and my brother were Mac users so it was almost by default that I ended up buying an iMac. My only experience with PC's was at friend's houses and the school I went to and I definitely prefer the more user-friendly Mac.

And I thought I was the only person who didn't mind the hockey puck mouse. Nice to know I'm not alone, senrab.
smile.gif

I prefer PC for my graphic design. There is a PC version for about 99% of Mac software anyway

yes, but graphic design software runs better on the mac. that's why 2 out of every 3 creative professionals use a mac. Do you do graphic design professionally? Don't your colleagues use a mac?

Plus Windows interface is so much nicer than Macs

funny, everyone says the opposite.

Espcially when you've got a dosen programs running at once and you're swapping back and forth between them constantly.

this is different from Windows how? In mac OS 8.x/9 you have a menu in the top right with all running apps. In OS X you have a dock at the bottom with all running apps. it only takes a single click to switch apps and there are hide options for all apps.

Its just shocking trying to sift through a sea of windows to find the one I want on a Mac. With PC its a simple click on the task bar and you're there. But with Mac its a nightmare!

not really sure what you mean here. In Mac OS 8/9 all windows are contained by their application. meaning if you go to for example Photoshop all windows created by Photoshop come forward. and so on. In OS X, a window can come above another app leaving the older windows behind. sounds a bit confusing but it really isn't. Also, the dock in OS X lists all windows for an app in a conextual menu off the app's icon.

The Mac OS can only carry out single-tasks; hence, why you can never get anything running in the background very well, unless you have a dual processor machine.

lol. the mac has had cooperative multitasking since the multifinder in 1987. That multitasking ability has improved greatly since then. How can you say the Mac OS can only craay out single tasks when right now I have AIM open, am playing a MP3 in iTunes, have Outlook Express Open, Internet Explorer 5 open, and I am running RC5 in the background.

The memory never seems to be enough, even though it has like 250 MB of memory by default, and it pisses me off.

you're likely reffering to OS 8.x/9.x which required users to set the maximum RAM alottment for each app instead of doing it dynamically. I mean this was so hard, you had to go to get info and increase how much you wanted to give the app. it took a rocket scientist to do
rolleyes.gif

Yes, contrary to popular opinion, they do crash quite a bit (more than Windows 2000/XP), and it's nasty when they do.

1.) Mac OS 9.2.1 crashes about once a week on me. When it does its do to an app locking it up. I press restart, the drive is checked and then I am good to go
2.) nasty? look above, a restart, checks disk, go. The Blue Screen of Death is better?
3.) I run OS X on my main computer. It hasn't crashed since March. Please don't spread misinformation

However, I hear Mac OS X has multitasking now, and is a marked improvement over Mac OS 9.x, along with being UNIX-based, but it currently has severe compatibility issues with older software. Maybe I'll play with it in a few years.

mac OS X has preemptive multitasking, symmetric multitasking, BSD UNIX, you name it, it's there.

Severe compatibility issues? There are about 2-4 apps in my experience that don't work correctly in Classic and thats because they need to access hardware directly which the classic environment can't do. Carbon provides a reltively quick upgrade path for developers to native apps and cocoa allows quick writing from scratch. Forget about old software anyways? Why would you use old titles when new OS X native ones are coming out everyday such as Office Version X. for Mac OS X.

Any suggestions?

I've been using AudioGalaxy in OS X. www.biggerplanet.com

that site has a Mac OS X client called Sputnix. Works very well.

And Macs as so unstable. I can't tell you how many times a Mac has crashed on me and I've lost stuff.

unfortunately, I hate to say it but its the person who maintain's the computers fault. if you bloat the machine with a bunch of crap that throws extensions everywhere in OS 8.x/9 then your system stability will suffer. It doesn't take much to maintain. Just keep track of what you installed. Also, Quark isn't the most stable program out there and could be the cause of the problems. newer versions are better.

and as I said, OS X does not crash.

It's all about open source. LINUX!! "Give me liberty or give me death!"

PC with Red Hat!

Linus Torvalds and penguins!! lol

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs can kiss my arse!!

Most of Mac OS X is opensource
http://www.opensource.apple.com

obviously you are cheap and have a belief that something can't look good and at the same time be functional.

hey look damn good, but all my software is for DOS/Windows, so I'm not even considering it, really. Besides (apart from a couple of people on this thread), when I do ask MAC/Linux users why they use their particular system, the answer I get is usually along the lines of, "Because it rulez!"

of course your software is for Dos/Windows. that's what you own. Why would you buy the mac version? you do know they have mac versions for most titles right? the only weak area for mac software is gaming and that's improving bit by bit.

I confess I've not yet used Mac OS X.
The latest Mac OS I've used was 9 - and compared to Windows 2000 which I was using at PC at the time it was shocking.
The interface was so cumbersome and slow to navigate round when I had more than a dosen applications open (which I needed to do because I was doing web design). Not to mentioned it crashed just was much as Windows 98 did.
I was quite amazed when I first installed Windows 2000 and I ran it for three days without it crashing.
Windows 2000 is more corporate-orientated and aimed at the more intermediate user.
However Windows XP has come along to deliver even greater stablity of Windows 2000 along with ease of use and backwards compatability with previous versions of Windows.

So maybe we're not in a position to judge either operating systems until we've used Windows XP and Mac OS X for a period of time.

Most everything has already been said here, but I'll throw a vote in for my mighty Mac. Only a fool could like a Windows machine better if they do any kind of graphic design. Not one of my printer contacts wants or will take a PC job from me. Granted Macs do lag behind in the gaming dept., but I prefer platform based gaming anyway. Windows for the user. Mac for the creator...

Back
Top Bottom