patty culliton of chicago?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZagarX

Babyface
hello i have a question. could someone tell me who's patty culliton (sp? got the splg from google!) because an fan mentioned her like she's supposed to be u2's #1 fan or something and then i did a google out of curiosity and then i read she said negative stuff about the band and she's no longer a fan since i'm rather new to the fandom i'm confused. coz my frend seem to say she's still a fan like bono really loves her is this still true? has anyone heard ofher? why is she considered u2's #1 fan? i see it says she's done an interview with bono so does the band approve of her? she's like even on ebay as well! is she like s'pozd to be famous? so i guess i'd like to find out if she's still a fan, since i'm new and i don' t like to heear bad stuff about u2. anyway as i said in the cafe, i really like larry the best. would love to say hi to larry fans i think he's the cutest ever! so i don't want to hear anything bad about larry, lol!:wink: well sorry for my ignorance if someone could clarify if this patty is a good or bad fan i'd appreciate there's lots of stuff onlione so not sure what to believe i thot i'd join here an prolly get more of the truth, right? thanks all and have a gr8 nite and sorry for my spelling. also is there any larry smilies?:lol:

thanks. yeah like i saw some posting of hers at other forums where she seemed real disapointed with u2. i wonder why just don't get it coz of the tix sales? doesn't seem to be so much a big deal but other fans where agreeing with her in that forum so like she seemed to not be a fan no more (she posted somethig like she could see them clearly now or some i can't find it right now i will post the link when i do) well i'm sure other peeps go to more concerts and don't get noticed, like how do you get larry to notice you? hold up a sign 'larry i love u btw this is my 82 concert?' lol well i can't do that i'm not that old. hey chizip what the frank andstin (sp?) smiley for lol?

rileybug said:

Now, this Patty Culliton, I'm not at all surprised to see her turn on the band. I remember her from the early 90's on Prodigy. She would send birthday gifts to Bono's KIDS!!! She would visit Principle Management offices in New York. She would send letters to Bono at his home. I repeat, she would send *personal* letters to Bono, *at his home*! Among other weird stuff. That was an obsessed fan if I ever saw one. They probably stopped responding to her letters and phone calls so she feels slighted... not surprised to see her quoted there, AT ALL. I'm just surprised it wasn't sooner.

:hmm:

thanks chizip. wow so she's like a real obsesed fan? that's wierd huh? she's like only has 2 posts here? so she blame bono for tix sales and she was arguing with him? she rites a lot lol i can't read all that! but if she woz sending stuff to his house did he like it or did he cut her off as sycho? and she's likeusing her real name on forums like she's trying to maybe get famous? idk i don' twant to say bad things, sorry if it sounds that way i'm tryin to undestand. so what do you guys make of it? do you think bono really gave her an exclusive interview? (i think it says so on that ebay zine)
PS what's an axver in drag? lol sounds funny!

Now, about Patty Culliton, I do believe that she had an interview with Bono (it would not surprise me in the least; once you've been to that many shows and met the band that many times, it seems like something that could happen regularly), but I'm not sure that I buy the whole "she turned on the band because they snubbed her" thing. Now, whether they snubbed her at all is a different matter...I suppose it be could be possible, as this bit does sound a bit off:

She would send birthday gifts to Bono's KIDS!!! She would visit Principle Management offices in New York. She would send letters to Bono at his home. I repeat, she would send *personal* letters to Bono, *at his home*!

did you read the first link i posted? it seemed she was pretty upset with the way the band handled the GA lines and "snubbed" the hardcore fans.

thanks lemon melon. lol you guys sound like a cool bunch. (love your name btw!)
well i guess it's hard to judge but i just hope she's not stalking them she did write she's a big stocky girl and bono is tiny lol well sorta tiny :yes: maybe she is back to being a fan now coz those articles are old. unless she stopped and that's why there's nothing on her since 2005? i think if she was still a fan she'd be posting on here, huh? maybe she found someone new to obssess over like american idol lol

ZagarX said:
thanks lemon melon. lol you guys sound like a cool bunch. (love your name btw!)
well i guess it's hard to judge but i just hope she's not stalking them she did write she's a big stocky girl and bono is tiny lol well sorta tiny :yes: maybe she is back to being a fan now coz those articles are old. unless she stopped and that's why there's nothing on her since 2005? i think if she was still a fan she'd be posting on here, huh? maybe she found someone new to obssess over like american idol lol

Many fans have dropped out of the ranks lately...some still post here, others left in a huff...I suppose she was one of them. :shrug: Thankfully, U2 still has a loyal fanbase that isn't as touchy towards GA snafus as she was. :yikes:

hey this forum keeps logging me out when i try to reply it says i'm not allowed to view page i need to register so it makes me relog in each time. do you know why or who can help with that? :ohmy: also sorry for my ignorance but what's GA stand for. georgia? what happened there?

hey were do i go to get some cool pix chocie for my profile pic? thx

ZagarX said:
hey this forum keeps logging me out when i try to reply it says i'm not allowed to view page i need to register so it makes me relog in each time. do you know why or who can help with that? :ohmy: also sorry for my ignorance but what's GA stand for. georgia? what happened there?

Things like that occasionally happen with the server. :huh: It's wonky, but that happens when 1,000+ people are working off of it at the same time. If you continue to have this problem, make a thread about it here: http://forum.interference.com/f235.html And a mod will help you out.

As for GA, it stands for general admission, or, rather, the area that you have to stand in.

She used to be on the WIRE mailing list, back in the day. From what I remember, she seemed like a good-natured U2 fan with a good heart but whose obsession with the band seemed a little over the top.

Sounds like she's dissapointed that the band/Bono don't see her the way she wants them to see her :shrug:

Zagar, welcome on the forums here, but just one thing... there doesn't exist such thing as biggest U2 fan.... we're all their biggest fans, just in different ways :)

and Axver :flirt: you know we love you, with or without your setlist obsession!

Axver said:

:lmao:

Though I wonder if she knows which U2 songs have had the most unique snippets? :wink:

I highly doubt it. :up: Even if a person went to every U2 show since their formation, they wouldn't. Heck, U2 themselves probably wouldn't. :wink:

Hobbies are fun, aren't they? :sexywink:

She should be thankful she is privilaged enuff to see the band that often.......... and stop her moaning. She does give off a bit of a stalker vibe to me

LyricalDrug said:
She used to be on the WIRE mailing list, back in the day. From what I remember, she seemed like a good-natured U2 fan with a good heart but whose obsession with the band seemed a little over the top.

WIRE :yikes: :wink: I met a few nice people during Popmart that were on WIRE. I also met alot of "scary" people on Popmart that were from WIRE. :crazy:

LemonMelon said:
Now, about Patty Culliton, I do believe that she had an interview with Bono (it would not surprise me in the least; once you've been to that many shows and met the band that many times, it seems like something that could happen regularly), but I'm not sure that I buy the whole "she turned on the band because they snubbed her" thing. Now, whether they snubbed her at all is a different matter...I suppose it be could be possible, as this bit does sound a bit off:

How funny seeing Patty get her own thread after all these years. I've known Patty over 15 years now and consider her a friend. I initially met Patty through a U2 message board on the old Prodigy dial-up service, WAY back in '91/92, before AOL and the internet. Patty did indeed interview Bono for her "Touch" U2 fanzine prior to the October 1992 Tempe, AZ Zoo TV concert. I'm happy to have indirectly helped Patty get that first interview in Tempe. I provided her with the concert ticket (we swapped extra Propaganda tickets, my extra Tempe ticket in exchange for her extra Madison, WI ticket). I worked for America West Airlines at the time, so I was able to provide her a "buddy pass" for standby travel, otherwise she couldn't have afforded to fly out here to Arizona for the show. She wasjust out of high school and starting college. Patty's dream job back then was to work for the U2 organization in tour management. Through persistence, she got to know some of the people working at Propaganda and was able to get that first interview in Tempe secured for her fanzine. Patty hit a homerun with that interview. Bono was blown away someone her age could understand their music and lyrics so well and ask in-depth questions compared to the usual fluff questions they get asked by media. Since that first interview in '92, Patty has met Bono numerous times across the country and overseas working in the music industry, defininitely not by stalking him. Ok, maybe some stalking involved. :) If Bono believed she was a stalker, I seriously doubt he and Ali would have allowed Patty to look after Eve and Jordan backstage at a music awards show in LA several years ago. Yes, that's 100% true. And Patty has even shot pool with Larry at a bar in downtown Chicago. Bono and Patty are by no means close friends or anything like that. I just know there's mutual respect. As far as Patty disagreeing with some of the decisions made by U2 the past few years, that's true. Back in the spring of 2001, Patty learned many of the GA line screw-ups occuring during that first US leg of the ATYCLB tour were deliberately orchaestrated by U2 security to get "fresh" faces into the heart. Then the GA mess at the 2nd Boston show in June 2001 happened. Of course this is all old news everyone has heard about by now. Patty was there to witness the Boston GA fiasco. She arrived at the venue late in the afternoon and was NOT one of the "hard-core" fans near the front of the line who were held back by security to allow people in from the back of the line. Patty felt that whole situation was very poorly handled by U2 security, stuck up for the fans at the front of the line who were deliberately mislead by U2 security and got into an argument with Bono about the GA line fiascos in Boston a day or two later. The fall leg of the 2001 tour went well without any GA line incidents. Patty believed U2 had learned from the mistakes made during the first leg and weren't going to let anything like that happen again. But then in early 2005, the U2.com pre-sale fiasco , the $40 U2.com memberships, 2-ticket limit. Patty felt the business side of U2 was up to it's old tricks and let her feelings be known online in a couple message boards and in a Chicago newspaper article. I saw Patty in Chicago while U2 was in town for the May shows and dvd shoot. The band knew about her quotes in the article and weren't too happy about it. I haven't really kept up with her much since then being busy with work and other stuff, so I don't know if she was ever able to patch up her differences. I do know she was still very much a fan of U2 even if she didn't agree with some of their business decisions. And I'm sure she still is today. Being a fan of a band doesn't mean you have to blindly agree with everything they say or do.

Someone in an earlier post in this thread mentioned Patty is a good-hearted, well-intentioned U2 fan. I would agree with that 1000%. Patty is the most giving U2 fan I have ever met. She's always been there to help out myself and other of her U2 friends who travel to Chicago for U2 shows every tour. By offering a place to stay, giving us car rides to and from our hotel, helping us meet the band, even lending money knowing she may likely never get it repaid. I've been with her on a couple U2 road trips from Chicago to Madison during Zoo TV and Pop Mart. Great times! And the ultimate road trip in 1993, travelling to London and Ireland during the Zooropa tour. Patty rented a Dublin city bus for a day and took a busload of fans including myself on a tour of U2 sites in and around Dublin. We passed by their childhood homes, current homes, Mt. Temple school, Windmill Lane, and many other U2 sites I could not have found on my own. There weren't websites back then to look up all this info. Then after the bus tour, Patty helped arrange a party for us at the Clarence Hotel. She went above and beyond to make sure U2 fans like myself who travelled to Dublin had a great time. I'll never be able to thank her enough for all the time and effort she put into setting up the bus tour and Clarence party. So when I read or hear someone refer to Patty as an elitist U2 fan or Bono stalker, I just have to laugh because they really don't know her.

HI U@ITNOL (funny name! lol!) Thanks for your long reply (though i coulda used paragraph spacing!) ;) thanks for letting us know about patty she seems like a nice lady after all. i guess everyone's got diffrent views. well as a new fan what i don't understand is why she would say negative stuff to the press? i mean U2 security is NOT u2, right? they don't control everything, they can't be everywhere! my mom (who's also a fan and was long before I paid them any attention) sez it's like when Kathy Lee (?) was accused of hiring child labor for her clothing line. (i guess i gotta read about that one!) anyway i don't think u2 should be blamed for that but then again i don't know. I think it's cool that she got to babysit Bono's kids. Does anyone know if they patched it up or not? Well that fanzine is gone from ebay i didn't watch it, did anyone get it? or wait! better yet does anyone have that interview of patty's fanzine that they could post the pages here, if that's not against the rules? thanks.

Back
Top Bottom