Passengers & Million Dollar Hotel - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
Is there anyone else who actually doesn't hate Elvis Ate America? I've always loved it and it's a side of Bono I really miss.
I don't hate it either

Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 08:04 AM
I don't hate it either but it doesn't really seem to fit on the same album with a bunch of ambient instrumentals and elegant, gorgeous songs like Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo. Actually Elvis Ate America might fit better on the Pop album.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #23
War Child

I don't hate it but I just find it boring. I don't think it fits with the rest of the album at all. It's in the same vein as a sub-B-side like "Happiness is a Warm Gun."
Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:04 PM
I think Passengers is awful. Save for Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room, it's almost painful to listen to. I love MDH on the other hand. While it may not be a U2 release (I consider neither a U2 release), it is worthy. Never Let Me Go is amazing, and if solely recorded by U2 would be a cult classic, one for the fans.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #25
New Yorker

Given the heated arguments about whether Passengers counts as a "U2 album" and that the consensus (on these boards anyway) seems generally to tilt towards NOT a U2 album...how does everyone feel about the next LP then? I'm especially asking those who don't consider Passengers to be a U2 album...because I think with the way Eno and Lanois seem to have become full band members on the next LP, a lot of the arguments for why Passengers is not a U2 LP seem to lose some weight. Well, at least they do if you're going to consider the next album a "U2 album".
Old 07-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

^Meh, I'm of the camp that does consider it a U2 album, so I have no issue (I know that your question isn't directed at me ). I think one is fooling oneself if one believes that Eno/Lanois don't write and perform on U2 albums. You can hear Danny's voice all over UF and JT, and there are videos of them playing with them as they record, as well as mapping out and coming up with plans for songs. Passengers may have tilted the scale a bit in that it may have been Eno coming up with most of the music and the band chiming in. But in general, I really do think that the band owe a lot of their post-1983 creativity and success to the dynamic duo, the new album being no different.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #27
War Child

I'm sure you've heard the phrase "sticking feathers in your butt does not make you a chicken." The converse of that is "plucking feathers from your butt does not make you not a chicken."

Or, to add another cliche, "What's in a name? that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

To me Passengers is a U2 album, regardless of what it's called.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #28
War Child

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Passengers is SO a U2 album. It features all four members of the band playing on every track, but there's just more input from Eno and various guests. It's more experimental than other U2 albums, sure. It's U2 being experimental and creative and collaborative rather than simply trying to be the "biggest rock and roll band in the world."

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it IS a U2 album (and as such, it easily beats both Pop and October as the "least popular U2 album"). As mentioned earlier in this thread, U2 and Eno were planning to release it as a U2 album until Island Records convinced them to try the "Passengers" approach. If U2 and Eno considered it a U2 album, it's a U2 album.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #29
New Yorker

I agree with you both, but there are definitely those who will vehemently argue that Passengers is not a U2 album (as an aside, I think it would be interesting to see the degree to which liking/disliking the album is associated with believing it to be or not to be a U2 album).

I also agree that Eno/Lanois are the George Martin of U2 and ultimately deserve a lot more credit than they are given (at least by non-hardcore U2 fans). Eno and Lanois are the "fifth Beatle" if you will.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #30
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
Is there anyone else who actually doesn't hate Elvis Ate America? I've always loved it and it's a side of Bono I really miss.
I like it.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 07-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:04 AM

I listened to Passengers today (perfect background for when you're doing a bit of reading). I think if Plot 180 lasted half an hour, it still wouldn't bore me.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:04 AM
I don't consider it a U2 album

Quote:
Originally Posted by bram View Post
Given the heated arguments about whether Passengers counts as a "U2 album" and that the consensus (on these boards anyway) seems generally to tilt towards NOT a U2 album...how does everyone feel about the next LP then? I'm especially asking those who don't consider Passengers to be a U2 album...because I think with the way Eno and Lanois seem to have become full band members on the next LP, a lot of the arguments for why Passengers is not a U2 LP seem to lose some weight. Well, at least they do if you're going to consider the next album a "U2 album".
To me the difference between Passengers and any other U2 albums is the latter has lyrics and not over half of it are instrumentals and more importantly, Eno didn't hog the spotlight.
It's one thing to have him play a keyboard and maybe sing backing vocals (or Lanois play guitar now and then and sing backing vocals) but it's another to have him pretty much lead the way as he did.

Also, the original plan was, as Larry said, inviting Eno and Lanois "on a song-writing basis only". I'm not sure those two were ever officially credited (or even invited on a songwriting mission only) as co-writers so one wonders...
Old 07-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:04 AM
Both aren't U2 albums for me and I usually only listen to half of both albums because they totally lack cohesion, I cannot listen to all of it. There is some stuff I totally love about both albums and some I find boring and not interesting enough. If I had to choose between these two albums I'd take MDH. I would love to hear more of that stuff in the future, there are some songs on this album I absolutely love and listen to a lot. I've even thought of making a kind of atmospheric U2 album out of the better songs from both albums.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #34
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
Both aren't U2 albums for me and I usually only listen to half of both albums because they totally lack cohesion
The first 7 songs on Passengers are the most cohesive set of songs U2 has ever put together IMO.

Tags
million dollar hotel, passengers