Passengers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00Kevin

War Child
Should Passengers be considered one of u2's main albums, or should it just be considered a side project.

It's U2's and Brian Eno's album "featuring extra passengers" (Pavarotti, Howie B, Holi)

Miss Sarajevo is on U2's Best Of, U2 are playing it on their shows and it will probably be on European DVD of VertigoTour...

It's U2

jonnytakeawalk said:
well, are all the songs on there written by Bono?

I've never listened to 'passangers' I'm tempted to get it but I don't know where to find it

jonny, you have to get this album! There is some great stuff here, U2 at their most creative in some instances. And there are some surprisingly strong songs, not just atmospheric synths at all!!

But a U2 'main' album? No, I don't think so. If this album was released under the U2 name they would have produced it completely differently. Great record, but not one of their main albums.

jonnytakeawalk said:
well, are all the songs on there written by Bono?

I've never listened to 'passangers' I'm tempted to get it but I don't know where to find it

Just order it (Amazon)

I can't make up my mind on this one..one one hand, U2 did not release it under the band name, but on the other hand, Miss Sarajevo appeared on Best Of 1990-2000, and the band is playing it live. Also, Your Blue Room was a b-side on one of the Pop songs. This indicates that the band is willing to embrace the better tracks on Passengers.

I remember an article about it saying that the band didn't want to release it under the U2 name because it was too experimental and concept oriented; more a fun side project. But some reviewers when it came out referenced it as a U2 album.. one I remember saying "U2 at their most playful". I consider it in the middle... some songs are solely U2- Ms Sarajevo, Your Blue Room, Theme from Lets Go Native could easily come from AB. I like Corpse... I always include it when talking about songs Edge has sung lead on.

here's a question:

Did U2 begin the Passengers project with the intent of recording a new U2 album? Did they look at the final result and chicken out because it was so uncommercial?

Or

Was passengers meant to be a diversion right from the beginning? Was it meant to be a side project?

I think it was meant to be a side project. The end of Bill Flanagan's book At The End Of The World also describes this. It was just U2 and Eno fooling around, with the members of U2 getting in touch with each other (musically that is) again. Just some playful jamming before starting The Big Next U2 Record (tm). During those sessions Eno remarked that it wasn't even U2 (because he was taking the lead), so they came up with another name.

Maybe the decision to label Passengers a side project has more to do with the fact that it is a Eno-led collaboration, as opposed to the uncommercial nature of the music.

I'll tell you when it gets here in a few days from getting it for 4 DOLLARS on ebay.

:drool:

starvinmarvin said:
here's a question:

Did U2 begin the Passengers project with the intent of recording a new U2 album? Did they look at the final result and chicken out because it was so uncommercial?

Or

Was passengers meant to be a diversion right from the beginning? Was it meant to be a side project?

It's under the Passengers name for 2 reasons,

1) Because of the fact that Eno (and others) play such a huge role in it, it is effectively a different band. It's not fair to label it U2 when others outside of U2 played such a huge role. It's a group of 5,6,7 people called Passengers. 4 of them just happen to be in U2.

2) They figured the music was too much of a stretch for most U2 fans. They correctly identified it as too far in one direction. That says more about U2 fans than U2. If it weren't for the fact that I understand reason (1) completely, I'd personally feel bad that U2 didn't have the balls, or faith in their fans, to release it under the U2 name.

The album seemed to start in the same way as Zooropa, going by Flanagans book. They came home after the tour, took some time, and then found they still had a lot of unfinished creative energy and naturally let it spill. They seemed to not really know exactly what they were doing at first, but just ran with it - similar to Zooropa - but I'm sure once it took it started to take it's form and came together they knew as per above that it wasn't going to be "The New U2 Album".

To the public it is and should be seen as a side project, but to a U2 fan it's rightfully as relevant as any other album. It is as natural a next step after Zooropa as Zooropa was after Achtung. It's a sound and direction they had to go into, and they've pulled it off brilliantly IMO. I love the album. I love the greater idea. Even the humour in the film/director names etc. It's a jazz album to me and the more you listen to it, the more it opens itself up to you.

On my shelf it sits proudly in between Zooropa and Pop, and I definitely consider it as the U2 album that comes in between.

Larry Mullen has no taste.

I bought it today, i think it's awesome in it's own special way!

it's very different, normally different is bad but this different is GREAT!

I have it, and I do like it. Some of it more than other parts though - my faves would be Your Blue Room, Miss Sarajevo aaand Beach Sequence is good, I reckons.

My favorites ...

Slug
Your Blue Room
Always Forever Now
Miss Sarajevo
and the ... Theme From Let's Go Native

Overall, it should have been a U2 album and not a soundtrack (side project).
Larry shouldn't have been mad that they didn't let him play the drums so-ooo much either !! :wink:
It was indeed a GREAT album !! :bow:

Are most of the songs like Miss Sarajevo?
I'm still not sure whether I should buy it because I don't really like Miss Sarajevo. (Except for the opera part.)
I probably will, just because the names Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen are likely to appear on the sleeve, but I don't think it'll really be my sort of thing.

Then again, I thought I would hate Zooropa, and that ended up #3 on my favourite albums list.

Meghan said:
Are most of the songs like Miss Sarajevo?
I'm still not sure whether I should buy it because I don't really like Miss Sarajevo. (Except for the opera part.)
I probably will, just because the names Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen are likely to appear on the sleeve, but I don't think it'll really be my sort of thing.

Then again, I thought I would hate Zooropa, and that ended up #3 on my favourite albums list.

The only songs on that album that sound like U2 are Miss Sarajevo and Your blue room. Maybe try listening to it in the CD store?

Back
Top Bottom