Passengers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Not counting the live releases, Passengers is the only album I do not have. What does everybody think of Original Soundtracks 1? Is it worth getting?

I think the majority of people will tell you no, but they are wrong :wink:

Passengers is brilliant. Especially brilliant are Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room, A Different Kind Of Blue, Always Forever Now.

Worth getting, yes, but don't expect it to be like any U2 album cos it's not. It's really Brian Eno's album as much as U2's.

I have to admit I don't listen to it a heck of a lot but if you're in a certain mood it's great.

Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room are the only songs I know and love. I'm listening to the other samples on amazon right now. Definitely sounds weird. :huh:

it's like soo crazy~!!!!

there's no WIIIIICKEEEEED *insert wailing air guitar smilie here* soaring guitars from edge, and bono doesn't sing the word "soul" eleventy billion times throughout, so i'm not sure if it's ever worth listening to be completely honest.

there's just no hooks anywhere. i mean, it's so quite, where's the rock, guys?!

GIVE ME ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!

passengers is just a bunch of noise (cr8zeer than merzbow, yo) that can't be comprehended by anyone, and anyone who says they can is obviously lieing cause it's not straight forward.

As Zoomerang so tactfully implied, it goes straight over the heads of the type of U2 fans who also like Bon Jovi.

financeguy said:
As Zoomerang so tactfully implied, it goes straight over the heads of the type of U2 fans who also like Bon Jovi.

you are a man i wish to kiss, financeguy.

:up:

What you really want is "Viva Davifoff." The only "real" Passengers B-Side. 4:29 of the most "insane" keyboard hums and beebs you've ever heard. No lyrics, no vocals, no point, but the meaning behind this song is so deep, to speak it would make your intestines give way. You'd literally shit you pants. You can almost hear the band being proud of the song as you listen to it. High-brow art at it's finest.

After the recording of Viva Schlabidoff, Brian Eno disappeared up his own ***hole never to be seen again. :)

The whole album was fake. Fake, fake, fake.

It's a great late nite record. 3am. cigarettes. nervous tension. can't sleep.

Last edited:
yeah exactly.

an album without guitars is a night sky without stars.

a u2 album without bono singing "soul" and "love" at least 15 times in each song, fails to capture my attention.

"Slug"
"Your Blue Room"
"A Different Kind of Blue"
"Beach Sequence"
"Miss Sarajevo"
"Corpse"

Throw the rest away.

Soul, love, heart, revelation, vision, tree, ocean, mountain, rock, soul, love, rock, fire, soul, love, mountain.

That and something about a "tree of pain". Bono likes to pound nails into the tree of pain, apparently.

financeguy said:
Soul, love, heart, revelation, vision, tree, ocean, mountain, rock, soul, love, rock, fire, soul, love, mountain.

That and something about a "tree of pain". Bono likes to pound nails into the tree of pain, apparently.

Blame the Bible. And Dylan.

pfft, what's dylan done lately. other than tour.

apparently he's touring.

imagine that, dylan on the road.

I think the whole album is worth having. Even something like Ito Okashi is beautiful in a non-U2 way.

Folks, the artist is called Passengers for a reason. It's not just U2. They have brought others along for the ride, and it's an interesting stew that they all cooked up.

Certainly not for everyday listening, but brilliant none the less. I think United Colors of Plutonium and Always Forever Now are something few bands could ever hope to play.

laz

financeguy said:

I do. Plus sundry Irish poets that wrote in the, eh, "stream of consciousness" style.

I couldn't be more happy he stole the chorus of Acrobat from Yeats. Perfect in every way.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:
I think the majority of people will tell you no, but they are wrong :wink:

Passengers is brilliant. Especially brilliant are Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room, A Different Kind Of Blue, Always Forever Now.

Agree - i'd add Slug and Theme from Lets go Native to that too.

When I loaded Passengers onto my computer, Itunes did its usual search for the track titles thingie and declared the album was by "U2 recording under the name Passengers".

or something to that effect.

/uesless info

Yes, it's worth getting. Go into it with an open mind. Don't expect Joshua Tree Part II or Achtung Baby: The Sequel, and you'll be fine. Some of the songs...well, some of them suck, but there are good ones on there too. I really like Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room, Beach Sequence, Always Forever Now, and Slug.

Back
Top Bottom