Paradise is seeing the new DVD on a 50 ft IMAX Screen!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
Last night I attended the Cdn premiere of the DVD (it's not released until Dec 4 here!!!). It was was hosted by a couple of radio stations and you could go if you phoned in for tickets.

I have been at a conference all week and had no access to radio, so what did I do? I wrote a small essay to the director of promotions about what a deserving recipient of tickets I am, and lo and behold I got tickets. They weren't even tickets, they were very cool "VIP" type backstage pass type laminated tags!

But the show! AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! What a way to see the DVD for the first time! 50ft high U2 with sound that was as loud as the actual shows (the bass and drums were vibrating through my stomach)! There's also something so incredible about NOT having to line up, but just to watch the show, completely relaxed and without a camera in front of your face or any stress whatsoever. It made me appreciate the amazing rush that is U2 in their prime even MORE if that's possible. I tell you, if I could produce a drug to match how I felt watching that last night, I'd be a rich woman. I am DEFINITELY getting a DVD this Xmas!!!!

[This message has been edited by Mrs. Edge (edited 11-29-2001).]

That sounds very cool Mrs. Edge.....

I was supposed to get a DVD for Xmas...but I could not wait !!!
Needless to say it was worth the $ spent
wink.gif

It is POSSIBLE for a regular 35mm print to be played on an IMAX screen, although it would not FILL the entire screen. Would be kind of like watching picture-in-picture.

Anyone who was there on the 5th (including myself) and 6th would have seen the presence of IMAX cameras. They are HUGE cameras requiring the crew to change out large film cartridges approx. every 8 minutes or so. There were no IMAX cameras on the 5th.

If I remember correctly, IMAX is centered in Canada. I'm not exactly sure what you saw or if that has anything to do with anything, but I am fairly certain it was NOT a true IMAX presentation.

I'd be interested in hearing more about what you DID see though. Sounds cool. Any newspaper reviews of the premiere up there?

Well I thought it was highy unlikely since there are only about 2 IMAX cameras in the world. But you never know with U2, I didn't think I'd ever see a 40ft lemon either...

Well guys, I get to see U2 at the IMAX tonight here in little ole Victoria!!!! So picture in picture or full IMAX wonder - I'll let you know!!! Ahhh, sooooo excited!!

U2 rocks my world
biggrin.gif

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Oh Man! (The idea hits!) They should've done like the Stones did about 10 years ago, and shot an Omnimax or IMAX! That would be suuweet!...
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Hey, pardon me for askin', but who's that little ol' man?..."

[This message has been edited by pvanort (edited 11-29-2001).]

yes imax is based in canada(sherwood park research in mississauga, least i think that's what its called). i don't believe it was a true imax presentation but i could be wrong. i think my brother went to the same one you did mrs. edge.
oh well can't wait for tuesday.

------------------
but everybody wanna live
don't nobody really wanna die
you feelin' me, right?
fred durst

There was nothing mentioned about an IMAX filming of a U2 show and that's a pretty big deal so I assume somethign would have been said.

You'll probably be watching an RGB projection, which is what we do with DVD's at the theatre I work at. The picture quality isn't as good, but it's still very cool to see it so big and especially hear on a big theatre sound system. If it's like our Imax thatre it will be very immersive.

[This message has been edited by hermes (edited 11-29-2001).]

Okay...I am extremely jealous!!!! *lol*

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

We had a similar thing in London.. but unfortunately I couldn't go. Glad you had an awesome time!

Seeing U2 live at that quality would be sooo cool! God knows I dream of that whenever I watch R&H, ZooTV or Popmart.

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 11-29-2001).]

Should I buy the DVD player or should I just invest in an IMAX theater?
wink.gif

------------------
The idiot who put the DVD on his Christmas wish list. What was I thinking!?! That is a WHOLE month away!

Yah Jess! That sounds so cool. I'd have loved to watch the dvd like that, as opposed to watching it in my little room w/ freaking headphones on. #$%^&@ dorms/roommate.
mad.gif

Ugh, I wish that'd come to AZ!!

Ooooohhh...how COOL Jess!!! And you got VIP passes?? Sheesh...I need to rub your head or something...let summa that good luck rub off on me.

Glad you got to relive the magic again!
smile.gif

*runs off to write letter to local Imax theater manager*

disco

You guys are right, I just assumed that if it was on an IMAX screen, it was therefore an IMAX film but it was of course just the DVD projected onto the screen.

HOWEVER, the image took over at least 90% of the screen, to within about a foot of the bottom. The sides were completely filled. It wasn't at all like a 35mm film (which I have seen on the IMAX screen before. It really looked like IMAX, to the extent where you feel kind of sick to your stomach when the image moves too quickly. The picture quality was excellent, but for band shots from a far distance, it was a bit pixelly. Otherwise though it was crystal clear and the sound quality was immaculate of course. It's such a shame that so few people were there! Only about 200, maybe less!

This morning I literally fell asleep a couple of times in my class I was so tired! But it was SO worth it. Angel, I'm dying to hear how you liked it!
smile.gif

Originally posted by muh2o:
It is POSSIBLE for a regular 35mm print to be played on an IMAX screen, although it would not FILL the entire screen. Would be kind of like watching picture-in-picture.

Anyone who was there on the 5th (including myself) and 6th would have seen the presence of IMAX cameras. They are HUGE cameras requiring the crew to change out large film cartridges approx. every 8 minutes or so. There were no IMAX cameras on the 5th.

If I remember correctly, IMAX is centered in Canada. I'm not exactly sure what you saw or if that has anything to do with anything, but I am fairly certain it was NOT a true IMAX presentation.

I'd be interested in hearing more about what you DID see though. Sounds cool. Any newspaper reviews of the premiere up there?

Gao
mad.gif

I just checked the website for Seattle's IMAX theater and they are not showing Elevation. I have a choice of either, "Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure" or "Journey into Amazing Caves" Oh Joy!

I want to be in Victoria with Angel tonight!

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Hey guys!! Just got back from the DVD Premiere Party and it was pretty cool!
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately the screen wasn't any bigger than a 35 mm on the IMAX screen but that's ok! It was so amazing to just see them up on stage so big, right before your eyes!! I felt like a little kid in a candy store!
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately also, they only showed us parts of the show (and totally skipped 'Gone', 'NY', 'I Will Follow', 'Sunday Bloody Sunday', 'In A Little While', 'Desire', 'Stay', and most of 'Bad', as well as 'The Fly', 'Wake Up Dead Man' and 'Walk On'). So I guess you can say I got a sneak peak. But that's ok! I'll take what I can get and it was free. Not too mention there were tons of door prizes, mind you I didn't win anything.
frown.gif
Oh well. I still had fun and enjoyed immensely the songs that they did show.
wink.gif

Btw- who the hell was the lucky chick on stage with Bono?@?@? lol~! Is she one of us?

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom