Overrated/Underrated Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FelipeVox

Acrobat
These songs are overrated:

Mysterious Ways
I really DON?T like it. Altough the live version in ZOO TV is amazing, this song isn?t that catchy for me. It?s my last favourite song from Achtung Baby. I can?t enjoy it at all.

These songs are underated:

The First Time
I?ve been heard people saying that The First Time is not a good song to be one the Best of. Man, I LOVE this song, is simply great... the way it runs... it starts so slowly and after that it explodes, but it?s still beautiful and floating... the drums at the end of the song are great...

Electrical Storm
The same for electrical storm... it?s so powerful, Bono howls at the moon in this song! Can?t understand why people (specially the FANS) they hate it. Go to hell this song is fucking nice.

FelipeVox said:
These songs are overrated:

Mysterious Ways
I really DON?T like it. Altough the live version in ZOO TV is amazing, this song isn?t that catchy for me. It?s my last favourite song from Achtung Baby. I can?t enjoy it at all.

These songs are underated:

Electrical Storm
The same for electrical storm... it?s so powerful, Bono howls at the moon in this song! Can?t understand why people (specially the FANS) they hate it. Go to hell this song is fucking nice.

Yea I feel the same way of Mysterious Ways the live version is so much better. This is the only song I skip on AB.

Electrical Storm is awesome. We have to wait and see if the boys will give the song a chance live.

Last Night on Earth is underrated IMO :yes:

Hmm, good topic!!

Here are a few songs I think are a tad UNDERRATED...

1.) "A Day Without Me" (don't care what anyone says, this song is absolutely fantastic!)
2.) "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)" (really, this is greatstuff. definately one of my favorites off "Achtung Baby")
3.) "Last Night on Earth" (why is it the song gets a lot of flack on these boards? I think it's a great rock song!)
4.) "When I Look at the World" (it just seems that everyone kinda forgets about this song for some reason (me included from time to time). it's pretty dang good, though)
5.) "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" (one of my personal favs. from the band!)

Now OVERRATED...

1.) "Bullet the Blue Sky" (ehh, sorry. I love some of the live versions ("ZooTV"; "Elevation Tour"), but the album version just seems kinda...not as good? it's ALRIGHT, imo)
2.) "Seconds" (blah, it is, imo, one of the worst songs on "War." not terrible by any means, but definately not one of the best on the cd)
3.) "Miss Sarajevo" (okay, so it's *technically* not a full-fledged U2 song, but since it was on their "Best Of..." I count it anyways...and I still don't think all that much of it, unfortunately. it's got some really nice elements (most notably Pavarotti), but overall, it just doesn't hit the "greatness" level that so many claim it to be).

Kk, that's it for the moment. Hope I didn't offend anyone...

:eek:

EDIT: I can't count very well...

:eek:

Last Night On Earth definetely ROCKS :)

And I hate people who say When I Look At The World is "close" do be great, for me it is great. The band must?ve played it more times!!

Ground is only "ok" ,IMO.

But Bullet? I love it, one of the best U2 songs ever. The bassline is nice (altough it?s very simple).. the same for the drums... and the lyrics are also great...

Overrated: Elevation version of 'The Fly'

Underrated: Zooropa (the song)
All the other ones that have been mentioned here :up:

overrated:

WOWY
Bad
Elevation
One
Pride
etc.

Underrated:

Gone :cool:
Wire
The Ocean

and many others

I agree about Mysterious Ways, I don't like any version of it really.

I also agree about LNOE. It's amazing live! The PopMex version on the Elevation singles is one of my favorite tracks of all time.

Overrated:
Mysterious Ways
Stuck In a Moment

Overperformed:
Pride
Bullet
both of the above

Underrated:
LNOE
Acrobat

Underperformed:
both of the above
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Running To Stand Still

Overrated:

Exit- It's not that I don't like it, it just doesn;t hit a chord with me.

Underrated:

Last Night on Earth- U2's best rock song.

Electrical Storm- The greatness of this song is mind blowing. I can't believe some people don't like it.

I love Mysterious Ways. I find the studio version insanely catchy. It's great.

Underrated:
- Seconds (I knew the UABRS video version of this before I heard the War CD and when I first heard it, I was very disappointed, but now it's grown on me and I prefer the studio version)
- A Day Without Me (Catman, I completely agree with you here)
- I Threw A Brick Through A Window (Marvellous)
- The Ground Beneath Her Feet (One word: WOW!)
- 11 O'clock Tick Tock (Well, I'm not sure if it is, I just never hear much about this, my second-favourite U2 song)
- Into The Heart (I don't care what anyone says, it's simply beautiful. Simply beautiful in more ways than one)
- Some Days Are Better Than Others (Love it)

Overrated:
- In God's Country (Never liked it much)
- Exit (Wonderful live, but I can't get into the studio version)
- Staring At The Sun (Good song but not great)
- Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (I've heard lots of compliments for this song, but I only really like the last 30-45 seconds of it)
- Bullet The Blue Sky (The Joshua Tree version. Rattle And Hum is incredible, but TJT feels weak)

Over:

Bullet
ISHFWILF
Mysterious Ways
Bad

Under:

In God's Country
Red Hill Mining Town
Ultraviolet
Heartland
The Unforgettable Fire
A Sort of Homecoming

I know I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this, but IMHO Beautiful Day is by far U2's most overrated song. I still remember my initial reaction to it - :yawn: And my opinon of it hasn't improved a whole lot over time.

I used to think Stuck in a Moment was overrated too, until I heard the acoustic version.

I can't really think of any other overrated U2 songs. As for underrated songs, I can think of plenty:

Zooropa
The First Time
God Part II
Drowning Man
Heartland
Mothers of the Disappeared
Tomorrow
Promenade
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Spanish Eyes
Three Sunrises
Please
Gone
11 o'clock Tick Tock
A Celebration

Last edited:
I absolutely love Beautiful Day, and I remember how wonderful it sounded the first time I heard it! I was so happy and excited for the new album! It was literally the best song I had heard in years by anyone. It's one of my favorite songs. The only reason I didn't list it as underrated is because I never thought it was.

Argh, I forgot to put Ultraviolet on my underrated list! And A Sort of Homecoming and The Unforgettable Fire...

OK, I promise, that's it! :silent:

Overrated:

Bad (Studio version) - great vibe but that's about it
Even Better TTRT - Why they keep bringing this back live is a mystery to me

Underrated:

Acrobat - One of the best songs on Acthung Baby
Drowning Man - One of their best songs period

That's it for me.

I have more underrated songs

Ultraviolet
A Sort Of Homecoming
Acrobat
Heartland
In God's Country
Fire
Rejoice
Two Hearts Beat As One
Please
Walk On

etc.

overrated:
side A of joshua tree (especially wowy and btbs)
one
bad

underrated:
pretty much all of boy that isn't i will follow and out of control
zooropa (the song)
seconds
side B of the joshua tree

overrated:
Bad
Bullet the Blue Sky
With or Without You

underrated:
Ultraviolet
Heartland
A Sort of Homecoming

overrated
I still haven't found what I'm looking for
Elevation
Mysterious Ways (It's great live, but quite flat on the album)

underrated
Lemon
Miami (I love that song, especially live!)
If you wear that velvet dress (listen to the Jools Holland version featuring Bono)
Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Fotunate Son, Paint it Black (great covers!)

overrated (among fans):

love is blindness. love the guitar. take the money/honey has me in stitches every time i hear it, which kinda ruins the experience. ah well.

underrated (among the casual public):
new year's day...early u2 = sunday bloody sunday to a lot of people, but usually i think more of nyd.

Yertle, you must not be from America. Here, or at least on the east coast, SBS and NYD are not at all underrated by the casual public, those songs are overplayed and glorified on the radio (not that I mind :wink: ) I mean, I have heard those on stations that play no other U2, stations that claim to be 'new rock' 'not your parent's rock station' 'modern rock' or even hardcore rock stations! I'd say in most parts of America, U2 is defined and most easily identified by those songs, especially among the casual public, and always will be. Considering the songs are now 20 years old and have stood the test of time well, I'd say that's a compliment, and proof of U2's lasting legacy:)

Last edited:
overrated:

bad
stuck in a moment
kite
bullet the blue sky
one

underrated:

tryin to throw your arms around the world
do you feel loved
until the end of the world (i think its one of u2's best songs... period)
hold me thrill me kiss me kill me (see above)
summer rain
whos gonna ride your wild horses?
new york

Underated- The Wanderer
Wake Up Dead Man
Stateless

Overated- When Love Comes To Town
Walk On

overrated-Bullet The Blue Sky (studio)
When Love Comes To Town

underrated-Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
So Cruel