Oscars performence of THTBA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that the SOME of the part of the opera notes is pre-recorded, but the question is wich of the voice part is live, it is pretty high that part. So it would be nice to know if the higest part is live.

Just out of curiosity but why do you say that? Do you have specific info about this or are you guessing because of standard broadcast procedure? Bono is notorious for refusing do pre-recorded vocals. He doesn't like to sing along to a pre-recorded vocal because he never sings something exactly the same each time. Unless for the broadcast they sent out a pre-recorded vocal along with the actual, but he is usually very adamantly against that. They will use a pre-recorded instrument track for broadcasts but Bono usually insists the vocal be live.

Dana

Just out of curiosity but why do you say that? Do you have specific info about this or are you guessing because of standard broadcast procedure? Bono is notorious for refusing do pre-recorded vocals. He doesn't like to sing along to a pre-recorded vocal because he never sings something exactly the same each time. Unless for the broadcast they sent out a pre-recorded vocal along with the actual, but he is usually very adamantly against that. They will use a pre-recorded instrument track for broadcasts but Bono usually insists the vocal be live.

Dana

On that show he sang over pre-recorded vocals, just as he did on CFYT on Vertigo tour.

So this was something that was announced that he had done? What does CFYT stand for? I don't recognize it.

Dana

Ok, but I still don't get where this info is coming from. Was this something that was stated in interviews or in tour books or something? It's simply being stated as fact and I am curious as to where this information came from as I've not run across anything other than speculation on this before. I'm not denying it's true but I would like a reference if possible.

From watching this performance I'd say the opera part was prerecorded.

But I've never heard about Crumbs being pre-recorded on the Vertigo tour. They didn't play the song very often, I think I only know one or two performances of Crumbs from the last tour.

But I've never heard about Crumbs being pre-recorded on the Vertigo tour. They didn't play the song very often, I think I only know one or two performances of Crumbs from the last tour.

On THTBA he sings over pre-recorded vocals in the opera part, you can cleary hear him doing that. The challange is to hear whats pre-recorded and what live in the part.

On CFYT he had a pre-recorded vocals in the beginning of the chours. They screwed up in one performence when Bono holded a word longer then usaly and then you could hear a pre-recorded voice of Bono in the speakers.

I agree, I've watched this performance a lot because I love this song, and I really think the opera part was prerecorded.

As far as CFYT is concerned it was played 7 times and where the backing track is totally noticeable was the 10-4 performance in Boston.

yah if you look closely he is definitely singing live over the pre-recorded opera part/reverb effect. That is why it is a little different each time he sings it (compare to recorded version or the accoustic performance.)

To answer your question, the high note in this oscars version of thtba is an A.

Bono is notorious for refusing do pre-recorded vocals. He doesn't like to sing along to a pre-recorded vocal because he never sings something exactly the same each time.

He didn't seem to mind singing along to pre-recorded "wooohooos" for Elevation during the Elevation Tour. :wink:

I agree, I've watched this performance a lot because I love this song, and I really think the opera part was prerecorded.

As far as CFYT is concerned it was played 7 times and where the backing track is totally noticeable was the 10-4 performance in Boston.

The reason it was noticable on this performance was Bono left it 4 extra bars before singing the bridge. there was 4 bars of backing music before the "where you live should not decide" part.

Then, at the start of the chorus, as Bono is screaming "dignity passes byyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" he holds the last note, and the backing track comes in with "and you speak". Subsequently, Bono goes bananas, and holds the note higher and longer and louder trying to cover it up.

I'm at work now, so I can't remember word for word, but I believe after the song finishes he says something like:

"I would like to apologise for some interference during the middle of that, I do believe it was the singer." He sounded very embarrased

:ohmy:

Wow, I have never seen this before....Yes there is a subtle pre recorded track at the opera part but from start to finish Bono sounds quite good....you can tell he is really pushing himself on the opera part, look at that vein in his head! :giggle:

2003 was a good period for Bono in terms of vocals it seems...

yup he sounds excellent here, but he does go off tune for a spit second on the word "cloud." (maybe on purpose?) Too picky?

Anyway, the high note is an A here and it's a great performance. :wave:

yup he sounds excellent here, but he does go off tune for a spit second on the word "cloud." (maybe on purpose?) Too picky?

Anyway, the high note is an A here and it's a great performance. :wave:

He is very shaky on this performence specialy in the verse:
"to HANING steel from the SKY", but Bonos high register usally don't effects by that. He was a bit shaky on some performences round this time, but still had no problem with the high notes.

By the way, I love the sound he get in "keep" in the verse:
"Is this one we can keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"

He didn't seem to mind singing along to pre-recorded "wooohooos" for Elevation during the Elevation Tour. :wink:

I don't think this was a regular occurrence if at all. I've heard some of the later shows from an IEM feed, a couple floating around regularly... definitely *attempting* to woo ooo.

Back
Top Bottom