Originals or Remakes???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
I tend to like what U2 puts out on their albums(original) better than the remakes overall. What do you guys think? Do you like the originals or remakes better?

Wait, hang on. Are you talking about covers or are you talking about new mixes (ala Best of 1990-2000 Pop mixes) of their original songs?

Oh, that would make a significant difference, actually. I just assumed he was talking about covers. :wink:

If he's talking about "new mixes" and single versions, I guess it would depend on the particular song. I tend to stay faithful to the original versions, but sometimes the single versions can add something nice that the original studio version lacked (for instance, the "hallelujiahs" at the end of the Walk On single version).

I think the single version of 'Please' is much better than the album version and the version of 'Numb' on the 'Best of' album is far superior to the original album version. But that's just my opinion!! :wink:

Depends on the song.

I like both Who's gonna ride your wild horses versions (album and video), but I prefer the album.
IGWSHA - don't care either way.
LNOE - better bridge ("could you believe in something"), otherwise I can't say single version is better.
Please - single.
Sweetest thing - single.
Gone - Best of mix.
Discotheque - Best of mix.
SATS - album version.
Numb - Best of version.
ES - band version (not the Orbit re-mix)
Walk on - I like the overall sound of the single version, but I miss the acoustic guitar and solo from the album version. And for me, Halleluiah's aren't better than the "all that you make"... ending. A tie.
Stuck - album version (against the acoustic version).
ABOY - single, album, alternate.
OOTS - album.
Yahweh - album.
Fast cars over Xanax and Wine.
Vertigo over Native son.
Sometimes - album.

Last edited:
IGWSHA - single
LNOE - album
Please - album
Sweetest thing - single.
Gone - new mix.
Discotheque - album
SATS - album
Electrical Storm - single (vs Orbit mix)
Walk on - single
Stuck - album
ABOY - alternate
OOTS - album
Yahweh - alternate

IGWSHA - Album
LNOE - album
Please - album
Sweetest thing - single.
Gone - new mix.
Discotheque - album
SATS - album
Electrical Storm - single
Walk on - single
Stuck - album
ABOY - album - I don't really care for the 'chorus' riff gleamed from streets
OOTS - album - simplest and most effective intro, understated, less busy mix
Yahweh - album - much better build up and crescendo into the last verse

Some remixes are better than the originals, but I tend to like the album mixes better.

The alternate versions of HTDAAB songs are VERY overrated, btw. :|

If God Will Send His Angels - single - gotta love the outro.

Last Night on Earth - album - the intro and bridge are way better here.

Please - single- the strings and the solo do it for me.

Sweetest thing - single - a great finished version of a bittersweet anthem.

Gone - new mix - Bono's voice is more pronounced, everything's sharper, Edge has some backing vocals like the live version, sold.

Discotheque - album - boomcha.

Staring at the Sun - album - great song on the album, destroyed in the Best of 90-00.

Electrical Storm - william orbit mix. - the soft bits of awesome add to the song more over the original guitar.

Walk On - album - The "Home" verse, ending, and guitar over piano do it for me. Plus Bono has that odd Barry White-type opening :)

Stuck in a Moment - acoustic - a simple interpretation of a beautiful song cluttered on the album.

All Because of You - single - I didn't care much for the Flintstones Feet-sounding buildup of the album version, and this version's bridge rocks my socks off.

Original of the Species - single - real strings sound much better than synth strings.

Yahweh - album - the ending is better, but I don't like this song much in any form.

Twilight - album - have you even heard the b-side version? Sweet Bono's Mullet it's atrocious.

Elevation - single - it's the album version on steroids, and I love every minute of it.

Where the Streets Have No Name - album - the intro/outro makes the song, with or without edge vocals.

Songs I would love to merge the album and single versions

IGWSHA - The structure of the album version up until the single versions Bono's "And I don't need to know how..." part. That would be a deadly combo!

LNOE - Put the middle 8 of the single into the album version. I'd be happy.

/////////////////////////////////////

GONE - I was happy with the Best of version of Gone up until the end. There's this thing Edge's guitar does on the last pre-chorus in the album version which sounds lamenting, almost moaning and it breaks my heart everytime I hear it -- it's out of the Best Of.

SATS - album version rocks - warts and all

WALK ON - Give me the intro to the single version (without Bono's Barry White spoken rap in the begining) but give me the rest of the album version

The alternatve versions of the HTDAAB songs are nice to listen to, but don't come anywhere near the finished product. SYCMIOYO is interesting as a sketch of a song. ABOY has some great vocal moments, but lacks the cracking energy of the single version.

The only one I'm on the fence about is Yahweh. I like the whle 'take these blue eyes' part.

Elevation Tomb Raider mix should've been the one on the album
Electrcial Storm William Orbit mix mysteriously rocks.
OOTS single version is neck and neck with the album version, but the single version sounds more to me like it came out of the ATYCLB sessions (which I know it was around then)

Back
Top Bottom