Original version of songs from POP album or new mix-single versions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvela

The Fly
Hello everyone....I happen to be a huge POP fan. It's my second favorite album and the one I listen to by far the most for sure. I just wanted to know which version of the following songs do you prefer and why...I look forward to your responses...

Discotheque(Album) or new mix(Best Of 90-00)

Gone(Album) or new mix(best of 90-00)

Last night on earth(album) or single version

Please(album) or single version

Staring at the sun(album) or new mix(best of 90-00)

Albert

Gone on the best of 90-00 is just light years ahead of Pop.

Please (single version) is exceptional. The outro is far better. Bono's voice on the "...I could never believe..." bit with no music behind it is great.

I can take or leave either of the Discotheque versions, but I guess the Best Of is lacking in "Boom-Cha's"!

SATS and LNOE are fine as they are on Pop. No changes needed imo. The latter is best served LIVE tho! :drool:

Best of versions of Gone and Discotheque, single Please, don't care for either of LNOE and I prefer album SATS. (the latter two are best live however)

Discotheque album - just
Gone best of - it's amazing. Best U2 remix ever
Last Night On Earth - single
Please - can't remember the singe mix, so album
I think Staring at The Sun is good no matter how it is.

Agree with Aardvark747 on Last Night on Earth live, and my criticism of the Discotheque best of isn't the removal of the boom-chas, but that they kept the Discotheque yells in the outro so it becomes

Discotheque
*awkward silence*
Discotheque
*awkward silence*

Discotheque - Pop version. Gotta love the "boom-chas"
Gone - Pop version, by far. I love the drum loops (no offense Larry) during the bridge. The "Best of" version sounds like they were trying to make "Gone" into an ATYCLB track. Actually this is true of all of the "new mixes" on the Best of. Tacky!
Last night on earth - single mix.
Please - single mix. The strings are awesome.
Staring at the sun - Pop version.

I like the Discotheque album version just because it is so crazy-sounding. Kind of baffling that they expected it to be a huge song. The best-of mix sounds neutered to me, but it reminds me of the live version, so it's not all bad.

Discotheque: Best Of
If God Will Send His Angels: Single
Staring At The Sun: POP
Last Night On Earth: Single
Gone: POP
Please: Single

Discotheque - album version, definitely. I like the Best Of mix, but it's not as dark as the album version and the "boom chas" are part of the song
IGWSHA - single version. That reworked bassline and the reworked lyric structure makes all difference
SATS - album version. In the best of, I can't almost listen to the electric guitar riffs (which I just love) and its production bloated the song.
LNOE - Single version. Although I'd like the single version to have a longer intro, like in the album.
Gone - definitely the album version. I like the piano all over the song (not only in the bridge) and the cold and raw production of the album. The Best Of version is too... worked, doesn't seem natural.
Please - single version by far. I'm not a fan of the album version and the single one is more similar to the gorgeous live performances.

Discoteque - Pop
Gone - (Best of)
LNoE - (Single Mix)
Please - Pop
SATS (Acoustic live)

Discotheque - Best of, but miss the "boom-chas"

Gone - Best of

LNOE - SINGLE!

Please - SINGLE!

SATS - Music on the album version, Edge backing vocal on the Single Mix.

Discotheque - both versions are pretty mediocre, if I have to chose I'd go with best of version just because of the intro... however give me a live performance any time, man this song was a killer live, come on, bring it back with Mofo on next tour! (Popmart>Vertigo>Elevation version).

IGWSHA - single version, well reworked without being overproduced, good job!

SATS - album version anytime, best of version is the most bland thing U2 has ever released, EVER.

LNOE - single version, though I also miss the longer outro.

Gone - I know I'm in minority on this forum, but I definitely chose the album version, it sounds more raw and fresh, Bono's vocals are much more emotional (just compare the "goodbye, no emotional goodnight, I'll be UPPPPP with the sun, you're still holding on" lines) , the best of mix is overproduced, it just seems like they tried too hard.

Please - actually I like both versions the same, the single version is a bit overproduced, although it's got an extra solo.

Chrisedge said:
All of them - Album

Almost. I like how the single version of IGWSHA stretches a little further at the end, gets more of Bono's falsetto there. Can't stand it's editing earlier on though. I think with Please I'd like something in between the two as well. I don't really care for the strings, they do sound as though they're pasted in later, not very organic, but do prefer Edge in the single version. As for the rest, album all the way ESPECIALLY Gone. I am forever honestly, genuinely shocked at how many people prefer the washed out Diet Gone on the Best Of over the album version. Then again, this is a forum that generally thinks stuff like Miracle Drug and Electrical Storm are masterpieces or something, so rewarding mediocrity is nothing new ...:wink:

Last edited:
On its own, the single version of Please is probably a more solid track. Within the framework of the rest of the Pop album, though, I can imagine how anyone could pick the single over the original to be slotted in.

Gone: Best Of 1990-2000 version by far. It just sounds so much stronger and packs a lot more of a punch.

Discotheque and SATS, however? The Best Of versions are rubbish.

I honestly can't remember the single versions of the other songs well enough to reply with regards to them.

Axver said:
Gone: Best Of 1990-2000 version by far. It just sounds so much stronger and packs a lot more of a punch.

Bono's voice is godawful on tbe "Best of" 1990-2000 :(

Discotheque - POP
If God Will Send His Angels - Single
Staring At The Sun - POP
Last Night On Earth - Single
Gone - POP
Please - Single

All the "Best Of" mixes are truly atrocious. They are a third-grade attempt at ATYCLB sounding!. A travesty. The Numb mix is unlistenably bad as well

Gone is the one redo that really sounds like it benefits most on the Best Of. I'd even say that Discotheque improved a bit as well. As for the others, I pick the singles. No album versions of any of the singles. Sounds awful to me and I'm sorry to offend some of you for saying this.

I love Gone from the Best Buy promo single. Just because Edge is literally on fire. :drool:
Last Night On Earth from the Elevation single. Again, Edge is on fire.
The Please Popheart Ep is an absolute must for Please and Staring at the Sun.

ponkine said:

Bono's voice is godawful on tbe "Best of" 1990-2000 :(

I agree, I don't like the new mix mainly because of that

Gone: album
Staring at the Sun: album
Please: album
If God Will Send His Angels: single (I like the ending more)
Last Night on Earth: well, album, but it is far better live

Last edited:
ponkine said:
The Numb mix is unlistenably bad as well

Actually, in my opinion the Numb mix is darn near perfect. The ending sounds huge. And you can hear Larry's vocals clearly.

Last Night on earth, please and IGWSHA single versions are better, Staring and Discotheque are better on the album.

U2girl said:
Yes the new mix impoves Numb.

What exactly improves?

Just listen to "I Feel Numb" on the new mix and you'll know how badly they destroyed the song. It lacks the excitement and the groove of the chorus. The "I Feel Numb" with the falseto sounds just great. The new "I Feel Numb" sounds crap

Staring At The Sun is brilliant on the Album, why did they bother remixing it ?

I prefer the single version of Please, Live from Rotterdam is the best though. I prefer Bono's voice in the album version to the single one. his voice sounds 'too' raw and croaky in the single version

Gone on Pop is a different song to Gone on Best Of.. I prefer Bono's voice on the Pop version.. especially hate the part in Gone Best of when Bono first says 'goodbye' it's more like goooooeeeooooddbye. So for that and because generally i relate to the pop one more I prefer this one. Best of version is quite a motivating song where Pop version is a bit more deep in thought

LNOE Single version is def better but I prefer the opening and the lyrics in the bridge on the Pop version.

I like the pop version of discotheque more, the song is more energetic and true to the theme. I like the intro to the Best of Version alot more though.

I still standby my original opinion that they never needed to add new mixes onto the Best Of..

I just wish they would do a new mix of Miami with the fuck off guitaring edge has in the live version :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom