Original of the Species: why was this re-recorded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon95

The Fly
No complaints...I much prefer the single version...but did any of the band members ever say why they went back and did it again for radio release? Did they prefer the way they were doing it in concert and wanted to get that feel?

By the way, where can this song be officially downloaded?

U2 does this with a lot of single releases. Who knows why, I'm sure some songs they felt weren't "finished", some just evolved differently with them...

Real strings as opposed to synth-strings sound so much better.

That's the case of Original and what kept Kite from being a classic on ATYCLB (including the last verse of course)

Aygo said:
Almost all single versions from U2 are better than the album ones. There are some expceptions, of course...

Yep, exceptions: WTSHNN & AIWIY, cutting sucks.

the vocals are also rerecorded in ABOY and Bono's rockstar scream towards the end has a better echo like effect and sounds cooler.:wink:

Yeah the single versions are usually better. U2 have this complex that makes them perfectionists - they need to have a gleaming sheen over their legacy in their eyes. It's the same thing that compelled them to go mess with the songs from Pop and barely make any headway on them overall.

Billy Rotten said:
Elevation album version lacks energy.

Exaclty. They probably like Discotheque (New Mix) more but POP version was better, for me. Anyone agrees?

manana69 said:

Exaclty. They probably like Discotheque (New Mix) more but POP version was better, for me. Anyone agrees?

No, I like the new mix more actually. However, it does need the Boom-chas and it will be perfect.

Billy Rotten said:
Elevation album version lacks energy.
I prefer the album version, this time. The Tomb Raider Mix is too raw, and Elevation was not originally raw. The final result is a bit strange, that's why the album version should be kept intact.

But anyway, nothing matches the power of the live version in Vertigo Tour, neither the Elevation Tour one.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
sometimes i think they play the song live, it evolves, and they re-work it for a single release... i.e. walk on.

:shrug:

:up:

I wish they did a small tour with a set of new songs and then recorded in the studio.

That would be the best possible thing.

Back
Top Bottom