Original of the Species...single??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_girlie_2002

War Child
Original of the Species...single release??

I know the video was made and aired, but does anyone know if there's going to be an actual CD single of it or will it be a DVD single or none of the above. Or was the video made to just be made? lol...

Anyone know at all?

Last edited:
There is no commercially released OOTS single, on any medium(CD, vinyl, ITunes, etc). The only released single is a promotional single. For those that don't know, a promotional single is a CD single that is available ONLY to radio DJs/radio stations. That promotional single had the single version of OOTS that the video used.

This song is kind of like Staring at the Sun, which, as Larry always says, "should have been a HUGE single."

They kind of blew it with OOTS. On the Chicago DVD, Bono even says, "this is the best song on the album but we haven't figured out how to play it live." And I think that is so, so true -- as amazing as the song is, it never quite made the leap from "incredible" album track to "otherworldly" live track, the way that Streets, One, Walk On, and With or Without You all did.

Have no clue why it wasn't released as a proper single...

LyricalDrug said:
This song is kind of like Staring at the Sun, which, as Larry always says, "should have been a HUGE single."

They kind of blew it with OOTS. On the Chicago DVD, Bono even says, "this is the best song on the album but we haven't figured out how to play it live." And I think that is so, so true -- as amazing as the song is, it never quite made the leap from "incredible" album track to "otherworldly" live track, the way that Streets, One, Walk On, and With or Without You all did.

Have no clue why it wasn't released as a proper single...
to be honest i never found walk on to be to great live, maybe its because we didnt get it during the elevation tour in manchester, but on both the offcial DVDS and boots walk on always sounded pretty flat to me:shrug:, and from what i have heard OOTS sounds pretty amazing the way they are playing it now

They seem to have gotten it down fairly well by the time they got to Tampa. They really nailed it the night I saw them.

When Bomb first came out, I remember being sort of underwhelemed by OOTS. But I said to myself, "You're not listening closely enough." So I put some time into the song and sure enough, it just blossomed for me. I think it's one of U2's most majestic songs. Very powerful.

I would love to have a CD single of OOTS. Pity.

Could you imagine the OOTS single with two new b-sides :drool: ....

... just dreaming :(

Azor said:
Could you imagine the OOTS single with two new b-sides :drool: ....

... just dreaming :(

lol that what I was getting at...:)
thanks everyone for your thoughts. I just thought it was odd...new video, no new official single.

OOTS is gorge, I wish they'd release it over here. The video's not even on TV here so I'm not hopeful. I love the version on the DVD I have to say, I think the beauty and simplicity is wonderful.

Great, and I was sure it'd get a CD release eventually.

This is the 4th album where the best song hasn't been released as a single!

OotS
Kite
Gone
Zooropa

shart1780 said:

OotS
Kite
Gone
Zooropa

You missed UTEOTW :wink:

Would they go the expense of creating a fairly complex video if it were just a Promo release? Thats what makes me think they may release it if it does okay on radio. Plus, will they really tour another 4 months without a song on the radio, or a cd in the shops?

any updates? I've been hearing OOTS a lot on the radio here....amazing :rolleyes:
But its not the single version but what seems to be the album version with an extended intro.

OOTS will be a download-only single, the first download-only single U2 has ever released.

It will be available in all the large online shops at the 20st of februari.

shart1780 said:

OotS
Kite
Gone
Zooropa

I totall agree with this post

OpperGoeroe said:
OOTS will be a download-only single, the first download-only single U2 has ever released.

It will be available in all the large online shops at the 20st of februari.

Just to add to this

OOTS is currently on the BBC Radio 2 playlist as well.

U2girl said:
Wasn't OOTS released as a CD promo single in US, with the single version?

But only as a promo for the radio. We want an official release.

U2 will release it. They'll have to in order to backup the tour. They've always released a single Down Under or in Mexico whenever they've toured -- sometimes without it getting released elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom