Original of the Species/Next Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
Vertigo tour has seen 6 ATYCLB songs played.

Of which, In A Little While appeared twice and Kite seven times, and for the first 60 shows (roughly half the tour) only two ATYCLB songs were done.

It'll be interesting to see. A full version is all that's worthwhile.

In an unrelated note, I saw your name and that you're from Philly and immediately thought you were Jim Jackson.

Axver said:

Of which, In A Little While appeared twice and Kite seven times, and for the first 60 shows (roughly half the tour) only two ATYCLB songs were done.

And Vertigo tour had only 60 shows and two legs ? :huh:

It's about quantity, not frequency (how many songs got played, not how often). Stuck and Walk on also got less play than BD and Elevation, but they were played none the less.

U2girl said:

And Vertigo tour had only 60 shows and two legs ? :huh:

It's about quantity, not frequency (how many songs got played, not how often). Stuck and Walk on also got less play than BD and Elevation, but they were played none the less.

Yes, but you were responding to my statement "Given ATYCLB's largely poor showing on the Vertigo Tour, especially the first two legs", were you not? In which case my point regarding the first 60 shows absolutely stands.

Also, I said its "largely poor" showing. ATYCLB did fare worse than previous albums have. Hell, at the start of the Elevation Tour, more Pop songs were being played than ATYCLB songs at the start of the Vertigo Tour! Now, obviously, the difficulty of fitting U2's ever-expanding back catalogue into two hours contributes to that stat, but it's still notable. That factor, combined with Vertigo being the only lingering worldwide hit (SYCMIOYO flopped in some territories) means that I wouldn't be surprised if some - not all, not even most - shows had Vertigo as the sole HTDAAB representation. I'm not predicting that (I think at least two HTDAAB songs for sure), but I'm saying it wouldn't be surprising. As for OOTS, this thread's original topic, I really don't think it stands much of a chance unless Bono feels like showing off on keyboard or the tour's theme really, really suits it.

Why not look at the full tour though ? :shrug:

Yes, at the start, but let's look at the full tour. ATYCLB on Vertigo vs Pop on Elevation leads by 6:5 unless I missed something.

Vertigo will be a definite, yes. I'm thinking COBL and Sometimes have a very good chance. Maybe an occasional LAPOE. (Fast cars is the new Party girl, maybe ? the fun non album song, very popular live)
I agree, OOTS probably not, unless they drop the piano and just let Edge loose on the guitar.

U2girl said:
Why not look at the full tour though ? :shrug:

Yes, at the start, but let's look at the full tour. ATYCLB on Vertigo vs Pop on Elevation leads by 6:5 unless I missed something.

Well, I feel that on the whole, ATYCLB's showing wasn't that flash, and I was simply saying this is especially apparent at the start. I wasn't trying to limit things. You're quite right, it does lead 6:5, but geez, 9 performances total for Kite and IALW together? That's hardly anything to write home about. I think it may be more meaningful to compare how many songs achieved an amount of performances in double figures, in which case it's 4:5 in Pop's favour.

That said, just doing a check of the stats, ATYCLB on Vertigo does well and truly outdo Pop on Elevation in most cases. Gone was played the most of any Pop song on Elevation, 51 times (less than half the 113 shows); BD and Elevation hit all 131 Vertigo gigs. While ATYCLB steadily increased from a poor showing on the first half of the tour, to the point that five songs were done on the later legs (though I'm not sure if more than 3 ever appeared at the same show), Pop began strongly enough and then very swiftly declined.

Vertigo will be a definite, yes. I'm thinking COBL and Sometimes have a very good chance. Maybe an occasional LAPOE. (Fast cars is the new Party girl, maybe ? the fun non album song, very popular live)
I agree, OOTS probably not, unless they drop the piano and just let Edge loose on the guitar.

I can't decide if I think SYCMIOYO has a good chance or not. I think it very much depends on the tone and theme of the next album and tour. There's only so many of those slow ballads you can do anyway. I think there's more likelihood of SYCMIOYO in Europe - it tanked on the US charts but went #1 in the UK and I think some continental European countries. COBL was clearly a strong lie song, so I think it may be in with a shot. I know it's no Streets, but I think that song could use a rest and COBL is a good enough epic song.

I agree re: Fast Cars. I got a feeling around the fourth leg of Vertigo that it was taking Party Girl's place. Just note how Party Girl swiftly fell out of U2's sets on the third leg as Fast Cars came on. What makes me question this, though, is the fact U2 used Party Girl, not Fast Cars, as the fifth leg's celebratory song. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

The one song nobody's mentioning is ABOY. I suppose it didn't really stand out to many live and it was dumped after the fourth leg in favour of Saints. Plus, there are plenty of other similar and better songs in U2's catalogue. But prior to Vertigo, we were all saying "no way in hell they'll do Elevation" ... so they did it 131 times! If U2 do go a bit more rocking, I can see ABOY showing up at least a little bit. I think Bono had a lot of fun performing it.

ABOY huh ?
I don't know...I think as far as Bomb's rock songs go, Vertigo and LAPOE (new Bullet? I think this song could get new arrangements in the future) were better live.

I wonder if Crumbs from your table has a chance in the next tours, if they still plan to do the human rights/politics bit in the show.

Yes, Crumbs--another one that should have received another chance. It was played in Boston or Toronto (?) and sounded great. So did Discotheque. So did Fast Cars. But none of these recurred often enough to call them likely regulars on the next tour.

It does seem strange esp. with Discotheque, that they took the trouble to rearrange it that drastically as a rocker, the crowd response seemed to be great, and yet they still didn't bring it back. A real shame.

Add this to the electric Wild Horses (amazing) and the electric OOTS, and you have a handful of well performed songs that were axed for no legitimate reason. I don't see why Edge can't do a New Year's Day with OOTS, and then come to the front of the stage for the latter part of the song when the piano practically disappears, so he can be facing the audience for the big guitar climax.

I really don't think it's possible that Vertigo will be the only Bomb song played, Axver. We're talking about the Grammy-winner for Album of the Year, remember? They certainly think it's strong enough to bring back more than the lead single. While I think Sometimes might not fit in, you never know. Bono loves the song. Can he continue to hit that note every time though? I think ABOY is a good suggestion just because it's a quick rocker that can pick up the pace well. COBL would be a possible encore opener, but I think it would be odd in the middle of the show (as we saw from the times LAPOE opened). I don't think LPOE has much of a shot.

Are people really challenging Axver's setlist assessments??? :shocked:

Not wise. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom