Original Of The Species - a song stifled by a mismatched approach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
It always seemed like U2 wanted this song to be huge for them, and it never really was. I think there are different ways an artist can approach a song, different ways that song can sound, and I think OOTS could have been a huge hit if approached differently. The way U2 approached it was as a anthemic guitar-based ballad. A lot of people here enjoyed it from that approach, but I never really felt like the song was 'U2's Hey Jude' the way a lot of you did. Oddly enough, I think the approach to this song that was taken in the early parts of the HTDAAB promotional pre-tour and Vertigo Tour, when U2 were still 'figuring out' how to play it live - the sparse, keyboard-based performances - would have served the song much better all around.

Those keyboards were lush, and they bring the melody of the song out so much better than all the guitars and strings in the 'normal' versions(album, single, and later live performances) ever did. Those performances remind me a lot of the way U2 performed Running To Stand Still during the JT Tour and Lovetown. Totally naked, a keyboard, a vocal, and very sparse precussion, in total darkness, spotlight just on Bono and/or The Edge. Every time I listen to the performance on the Chicago DVD(or any other early Vertigo tour performance), I think, 'this is how it should have been recorded in the first place'.

I really think if OOTS had been recorded as that naked keyboard ballad and released as a single, it would have been huge(provided it recieved proper promotion, of course). If approached as a song that needed quiet but intense, passionate but restrained performances rather than as song that needed anthemic, shout it from the rooftop performances, I think the song could have been a different animal. I think the 'normal' versions were somewhat bloated, and I think a recording along the lines of what I have described would have been recieved much differently by a lot of non diehards and even some diehards.

I know I am in the minority here, but I feel strongly about this.

I think the errors were made during the production / mixing stages.

I would have taken a stripped down keyboard version over a Edge-on-autopiloet chimey guitar rehash anyday.

namkcuR said:

:up:

Personally - and I've said this a thousand times before - I think it sounds less Beatles and way more a too bloated, too bombastic Robbie Williams power-ballad or something.

Edit: and I do mean this in a production/mix/Bono's vocal sense. Tune = great. Lyrics = okay. But the song is like a punch in the face and Bono is over-reaching to an unbelievable degree.

I've never understood the "But the song is like a punch in the face and Bono is over-reaching to an unbelievable degree" stance, I mean U2 RARELY does subtle.

I do agree that the production and mixing suck, but that's to be said for the whole album.

I think AB started them on this spiral. They created this very dense album and it worked for AB, but the albums started getting thicker and thicker... They never stepped back, not even when they reapproached their sound in the 00's.

I like 'Original of the Species', but honestly I think it's WAY overrated by people on this site. The tune is not that immediate or memorable; I think it's more the theme of it and the personal lyrics that make it memorable. I might agree that it could have been better recorded, but I wasn't blown away by the live interpretation on the Chicago DVD. If anything, I think the LP cut is much better.

By the way, I think Atomic Bomb is a fantastic album, and I love the production!
Top U2 albums:
1. The Joshua Tree / Achtung Baby (tie)
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
5. Rattle and Hum (despite some suspect live tracks -- the studio stuff rules!)

Punch in the face, as in it's just really in your face. Bombastic, whatever. It's a song that could have really used some space, a little delicacy, but in all of it - the mix, the arrangement, Bono's delivery - it's just really up front. Just keeps pounding and pounding. Hard to describe really and to be honest I haven't listened to Original at all for months and months and months. I know there is a part in it somewhere, all too brief, where it strips back to just the guitar for a few seconds and it's really nice. The song needed more of that and less yelling and every single corner filled with full-force production.

A. Didn't nail the arrangement
+
B. Spent too long in the studio trying to get it right
+
C. Production certainly was sub-par
+
D. Bono, while a strong vocal/far from his most clever lyrics
=

A song that never had a chance to live up to it's potential

Personally, I'd bet the farm that the 1999/2000 version of this song is superior to the HTDAAB version. Gee, wouldn't it be nice to find out?

I like the song, but I think they were never able to pull that off live, which is sad. I like the accoustic renditions they did. For me, it's one of the strongest songs on the last album, though I agree about the arrangement and productions, that could have been done differentely. But other than many people here, I don't mind the vocals, I think Bono is doing a good job there.

It wasn't popular because rock music made by people in their mid 40's isn't popular anymore.

It would have been huge if it was done by Maroon 5.

Original is a big old MOR power ballad. It's not the sort of thing a 'rock' band aimed at youth would do anyway. If it were, as I said, a big Robbie Williams song, it would have had huge success. If Vertigo were by a 'young'/'cool' band it would have been a Triple-A Grade mammoth hit.

No. I see it as a pop song, not the anthem huge song. Kind of a sister song to WITS in the sense they both try to latch on to the Beatles-vibe.

I think they had trouble replicating the soaring guitar and the strings live though, because they're perfectionists in the studio. People rave about the Milan performance, but I think Chicago is miles ahead.

i love Original single mix....and live the best version is at "Conan O' Brian Show"....perfect....and the videoclip is beautiful, the best of the last 8 years...

nathan1977 said:

In U2 by U2 Edge expresses regret that Bono changed the verse melodies -- he had a whole other set of chord progressions that he loved much more.

I guess I need to actually sit down and read that book.

I think it is the best song on HTDAAB. I like the lyrics for what they are and its one of Bono's best vocals in years. I cant even try to sing along to I cant keep up with him I get out of breath and cant reach the highness in his voice. Also I think edges chimey guitar part is one of my favorites on the album its too bad it isnt more upfront in the mix

As for live they never pulled it off maybe on Connan Obrian that is it. They usualy played it somewhere towards the end of the set and Bono's vocals were to tired to sing it like it was meant to be sung. Further give Bono a guitar that instantly takes his focus away from his vocals. Realy missed edges guitar in a lot of the live preformances. They guy just needs to learn to play the piano and the guitar and the exact same time and them maybe they could pull the song off.

david said:
It wasn't popular because rock music made by people in their mid 40's isn't popular anymore.

It would have been huge if it was done by Maroon 5.

You may be on to something here. Same with Window In The Skies...

I always thought that they kicked it in too quickly. I mean, that's a pretty short verse, and the song could have built so much more gracefully if they would have just taken their time getting to the climax. We U2 listeners, we have the patience. Don't knock us over the head.

Just reminds me how great a song like WOWY is. If they recorded that today, they would have kicked in the drums and a big power chord at "sleight of hand"!

I could never get into this song with just keyboards. It needs that signature Edge guitar. Agree though that it's a near miss as a hit. As with nearly the rest of the album, it's over produced and bloated as others have said. But the lyrics are kind of psychtsophrenic as well. Tone down or eliminate entirely the strings, back off the keyboards and bring up the guitar, and make the song about Edge's daughter completely and it may have done better. Also, 5th singles off any album rarely do well. Might have done better if released in place of Sometimes. In fact, I would've gone:

Vertigo
COBL
OOTS
Sometimes (or AMAAW?)
ABOY

I for one would love to hear the full ORIGINAL recording of this song. You know, the one that was playing on Bono's car stereo in that 60 minutes interview. At the time when i heard it I thought "This is wild, why the hell wasn' t it on ATYCLB?"
I run a bit hot/cold with this song. Structurally it's quite good and the lyrics are okay. The chorus is classic U2.

chrissybaby said:
The Killahurtz Casa De Angeles Mix is the definitive version for me! :drool:

EXACTLY. If they had put this version on the album, released this version as the single, and forgotten that the other version ever existed, the song would've had a great chance. There's life in the Killahurtz version that just isn't there in the album one.

Okay, now I want to hear this mix of OOTS. I didn't know there were any remixes.

Any chance for a copy? Or a link, if it's not an official release?

i think the best version of this song was the Brooklyn Bridge performance, with bono playing guitar. Edge's guitar performance on the album is good, but not good enough to take him off the keyboards.

Back
Top Bottom