Original Of The Species - a song stifled by a mismatched approach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nathan1977 said:

In U2 by U2 Edge expresses regret that Bono changed the verse melodies -- he had a whole other set of chord progressions that he loved much more.

Also, somewhere I have some video clips of a CNN piece on U2 and Bono is singing a few lines from this song. That was before ATYCLB was released, I believe. When I heard OOTS for the first time I couldn't believe it was the song from that video b/c I'd always wondered about that song Bono was talking about. So, it's been around a while...

I disagree. Yes, the production on the album sucked, and all the songs suffered. But my favorite part of the entire song is Edge's guitar parts.

I think this song suffered from poor lyrics much more than it did Edge's guitar playing. I think the stripped down versions of this song are horribly boring. Running to Stand Still has passion, real passion. This song doesn't have the lyrics or melody to show that passion. This song needs Edge's guitar, because it's not good enough naked to survive.

phillyfan26 said:
I disagree. Yes, the production on the album sucked, and all the songs suffered. But my favorite part of the entire song is Edge's guitar parts.

I think this song suffered from poor lyrics much more than it did Edge's guitar playing. I think the stripped down versions of this song are horribly boring. Running to Stand Still has passion, real passion. This song doesn't have the lyrics or melody to show that passion. This song needs Edge's guitar, because it's not good enough naked to survive.

Get out of my brain. That's exactly what I was going to post. Well, at least you saved me the time it would've taken to type it out. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:

Yes, Yes and Yes again. Completely agree. Just not a strong song. They tried to put lipstick on a pig and guess what, it's still a pig. The guitar bits are quite nice but the lyrics are terrible and really kill the whole song for me.

I've said it from day one of HTDAAB. "Everywhere you go you shout it, You don't have to be shy about it" is a fine enough lyric for a verse or bridge or something but it just does not cut it when it's belted out in an overblown chorus as if it is the most important message ever. It's just a big let-down for me.

That song kind of represents everything that is wrong with U2 these days.

The song doesn't deserve this endless bashing it gets here. It may be a bit over-produced, but I really enjoy Bono's vocals and I also like the lyrics. I think the song has a very fine structure and I still consider it to be my favourite song on the last album. It has heart, but I think they never pulled that one off live, which is a shame, because it could have worked fine.

Btw, the Killahurz remix is a really great version, and I love the video.

The last 2 minutes are glorious but the first part of the song is not catchy. It's ok for an album but not for a single.

Back
Top Bottom