original name of the band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcrt2000

Refugee
I see that everyone is saying the band's original name was Feedback, and then The Hype, before they settled on U2, but in the Boston Elevation DVD Bono says that they were called the Larry Mullen Band for a lunch break, and I just googled it up and aparently when they were in high school, thats what the band's name originally was according to some articles... whats the truth here guys? i remember my brother arguing it was definately feedback vehemently a while ago when I first heard about the "Larry Mullen Band" thing

edit: OOPS, i meant to post this into everything you know is wrong

Last edited:
I think Bono was joking around about that. They may have been called that for five minutes at the VERY beginning. But their first official name was 'Feedback', then 'The Hype'. They weren't all happy with that name and they couldn't think of a better one, so they asked around, friends, acquantences. That's how U2 came up.

I was bored one day a few weeks ago, and decided to fiddle about with Friends Reunited. I looked up Mount Temple and went into the message boards, where they have a section for ex-pupils to write about famous people they went to school with.

A guy called Gary Bolton said this:

larry mullen jnr

Larry attended our school and was a real cool dude in science class.He famously posted a notice on the school notice board(which I didn't see)asking for people to help him form a band,Paul Hewson,Adam Clayton,and Dave Evans,replied and Mooncrest and Feedback were formed,later they became The Hype,and finally U2,the rest is history as they say!!!!!!!

Mooncrest?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom