Opening sequence of tours in the past

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
We all know Zoo TV had the horns, the interference and finally the EU logo with a shadow of Bono doing the Zoo Station kick. We know Popmart had the band walking to the stage thru the crowd as Pop Musik played. Elevation had a simple intro and Vertigo of course had the Arcade Fire/"Everything" bit. But what about tours before Zoo TV like Joshua Tree/Lovetown, War etc.? Does anybody know if there were any interesting opening sequences? Damn, I want Red Rocks on dvd!

Also, which would you say is the best opening sequence so far? I vote Zoo TV... unfreakinbelievable, even on the TV screen!

Zootlesque said:
We all know Zoo TV had the horns, the interference and finally the EU logo with a shadow of Bono doing the Zoo Station kick.

:heart:

Zootlesque said:
We all know Zoo TV had the horns, the interference and finally the EU logo with a shadow of Bono doing the Zoo Station kick.

That wasn't until after Zooropa was released... We had the George Bush rap in the states.

Zootlesque said:
We all know Zoo TV had the horns, the interference and finally the EU logo with a shadow of Bono doing the Zoo Station kick. We know Popmart had the band walking to the stage thru the crowd as Pop Musik played. Elevation had a simple intro and Vertigo of course had the Arcade Fire/"Everything" bit. But what about tours before Zoo TV like Joshua Tree/Lovetown, War etc.? Does anybody know if there were any interesting opening sequences? Damn, I want Red Rocks on dvd!

Also, which would you say is the best opening sequence so far? I vote Zoo TV... unfreakinbelievable, even on the TV screen!

Joshua Tree, typically they preceeded the show with "All You Need Is Love" or "Stand By Me" the John Lennon version.

Zoo TV indoor, originally they would play "Be My Little Baby" and then the "bees" would start and Bono would walk out first and do his "dirge" as he called it. (Supposedly he got the idea while they were shooting for the album cover in Morocco, based on the call to worship he would hear everyday). It was sort of cool, definately different.

Unforgettable Fire was obviously the studio version of "4th Of July" as the intro. Which I never cared for to be honest.

I said this in the Mofo thread. But Pop Muzik/Mofo was the best opening sequence they have done.

Re: Re: Opening sequence of tours in the past

Blue Room said:

Joshua Tree, typically they preceeded the show with "All You Need Is Love" or "Stand By Me" the John Lennon version.

Add to this that the band would kick in part way thro it. Quite a cool entrance.

Re: Re: Re: Opening sequence of tours in the past

gman said:

Add to this that the band would kick in part way thro it. Quite a cool entrance.

A few times, mainly first and second leg. Primarily the Euro stadium leg when it was still light out when they took the stage. They did it a few times on Lovetown also. Most of the time it was either song and then into the Streets intro though.

Re: Re: Opening sequence of tours in the past

BonoVoxSupastar said:
That wasn't until after Zooropa was released... We had the George Bush rap in the states.

Really? I did not know that. I mean I knew of the Bush rap but didn't know it was the intro on the US shows!

Re: Re: Re: Opening sequence of tours in the past

Zootlesque said:

Really? I did not know that. I mean I knew of the Bush rap but didn't know it was the intro on the US shows!

Only on the Outside Broadcast stadium leg though. On the indoor leg it was the "dirge" thing at all shows.

I don't know what they played before their actual songs during The Joshua Tree Tour, but didn't it then turn into the organ intro from Streets with the red backdrop and they all walked out and waited for Larry's little drum counting, then Edge, then BOOM all the flood lights turn on. (Kinda like the COBL intro to the most recent tour) That's my favorite. Epic.

For Lovetown they started with Hawkmoon 269 but I'm not sure what they played before it on the sound system.

Did they always have that "Television... the drug of the nation" song playing during the ZooTV tour?

catlhere said:
I don't know what they played before their actual songs during The Joshua Tree Tour, but didn't it then turn into the organ intro from Streets with the red backdrop and they all walked out and waited for Larry's little drum counting, then Edge, then BOOM all the flood lights turn on. (Kinda like the COBL intro to the most recent tour) That's my favorite. Epic.

For Lovetown they started with Hawkmoon 269 but I'm not sure what they played before it on the sound system.

The red backdrop didnt appear until the third leg of Joshua Tree and only at stadium shows.

Hawkmoon only opened a hand full of Lovetown shows.

catlhere said:
Did they always have that "Television... the drug of the nation" song playing during the ZooTV tour?

They started using that towards the middle/end of the 2nd leg indoor Euro shows. Prior to that it was "Be My Little Baby".

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opening sequence of tours in the past

Blue Room said:

See my prior post about the indoor leg opening with "Be My Little Baby".

Oh yeah you did explain it! :der:

Man, I wonder if there's any video on youtube or something for the opening sequence of any US Zoo TV show. I only know the Zoo Sydney opening, pretty much.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opening sequence of tours in the past

Zootlesque said:

Oh yeah you did explain it! :der:

Man, I wonder if there's any video on youtube or something for the opening sequence of any US Zoo TV show. I only know the Zoo Sydney opening, pretty much.

I think there is pro shot footage of Stockholm 92 on youtube which has the "dirge" part of it, but they had dropped the "Be My Little Baby" intro music by that point.

Btw, when you say "Be My Little Baby", are you talking about Eddie Money's Take Me Home Tonight? :shifty:

no clue here.

Zootlesque said:
Btw, when you say "Be My Little Baby", are you talking about Eddie Money's Take Me Home Tonight? :shifty:

no clue here.

:lol: No, I cant remember the artist's name. I believe it was a female Motown group that sings it (not the Supremes). Who was the artist that was inducted in the RARHOF this year? I think it was them and maybe Ronnie Spector was the lead singer? :shifty: But I dont remember for sure.

Which if so, would fit with the Eddie Money song as she sings on that also.

Blue Room said:

:lol: No, I cant remember the artist's name. I believe it was a female Motown group that sings it (not the Supremes). Who was the artist that was inducted in the RARHOF this year? I think it was them and maybe Ronnie Spector was the lead singer? :shifty: But I dont remember for sure.

Which if so, would fit with the Eddie Money song as she sings on that also.

"Be My Baby" is the title 1963 hit single by the Ronettes. Ronnie Spector is the lead singer...

Also don't forget Clannad's "Harry's Game" would open and close WAR shows.

catlhere said:

That song was by 'The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, which were one of the opening acts on the Tour, so some nights they had it live before the show.

I think that the audio of the Popmart intro was phenomonal, but when i saw the video of it I was really disapointed. The ZooTV intro was so great, so much so fast. Compared to Zoo, the spinning O in the word POP and the band walking through the crowd just didn't stand up. IMO

~A.j.~

Re: Re: Re: Re: Opening sequence of tours in the past

Blue Room said:
A few times, mainly first and second leg. Primarily the Euro stadium leg when it was still light out when they took the stage. They did it a few times on Lovetown also. Most of the time it was either song and then into the Streets intro though.

Twice on Lovetown, to be exact; the third Melbourne concert and the last Japanese show (the "backwards set" one).

catlhere said:

Actually, that only opened eight Lovetown shows. Streets opened approximately half of that tour's concerts (24 out of 47).

My favourite is the October Tour: Bono walking out, saying hi, and the band launching into Gloria straight away with no fuss. :wink:

No, just kidding. ZooTV Outside Broadcast is probably my favourite. Yes, I like something about ZooTV. Shock, horror.

The only one i've witnessed with my eyes and ears was the Arcade Fire/Everyone intro on Vertigo...and you all know it kicked ass...so that gets my vote...

Peace,
Rory

I was at both Edinburgh Playhouse gigs - 1 for the War tour (day War came out and I got the picture disc) and 1 for the UF Tour (bonfire night).

They definately played 4th of July before the UF gig but I don't recall anything for the War gig. Just the band coming on and going straight into Gloria. Total chaos as I was in the 3rd row and only 17.

Not the flashiest, but I would vote for JT red backdrop opening. Elegant and just right.

Back
Top Bottom