Opening acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PJ Harvey was horrible! :x What the hell was that?
eek.gif

Best: Pearl Jam of course!
smile.gif
Wish I had seen them!
frown.gif

------------------
"It's Evolution Baby!"

Best = Moby. I was never majorly fond of his music til then, but his performance at Slane just blew me away! Whenever I'm talking about Slane I'm just as likely to talk about Moby as I am U2, purely because I was so surprised how great his performance was!

Worst = Nelly Futado. Can't stand her!

I'm surprised there hasn't been more love for Los Pixies. What an amazing band!!!

Just look at some of the ZooTV openers and realize how amazing they were:

Pixies
PJ Harvey
Big Audio Dynamite
Primus
Public Enemy (in their prime)
The Sugarcubes (Bjork!)
The Ramones
Stereo MCs
Velvet Underground(!)
Pearl Jam(!)
Bjork (solo)

Not bad!

Of the shows I actually saw:

Worst: Fun Loving Criminals and Los Lobos

Best: PJ Harvey

Would love to have seen Garbage and Pearl Jam and The Corrs.

I've only seen 2 opening acts - PJ Harvey and No Doubt. In terms of getting the crowd fired up, No Doubt played circles around PJ Harvey. I really wanted to like PJ Harvey, but I couldn't understand a word she sang, all the music was dark and moody (except for one song I really liked - Angeline was it?), and none of the band looked at all happy to be playing with the exception of the lead guitarist, who looked like he was having a bit of fun - the rest looked pretty blank for most of the set. Maybe I caught her on a bad night.

No Doubt on the other hand were tons of fun - you could tell they were having a blast up there...they were pumped up, Gwen knows how to feed off the audience and get them pumped up...hell, they were just a lot of fun!
biggrin.gif

PJ Harvey was amazing! This was the first time I ever went to a show early specifically to see the opening act.

Her own concerts are also great!

Garbage was awesome as well, No Doubt were OK, FLC on Pop Mart were ok.

The worst opening act was Primus at Yankee Stadium Zoo TV. Probably the worst band I have ever seen live. The stadium was shaking because the bass was too loud. HORRIBLE!

Phil

Did the Pretenders open for U2? My wife swears she saw them open for them in Oakland on the JT tour. I think it's some other band with a female lead (I do remember that much). Anyone?

yeah those Disposable Heroes of Hipophrosy really sucked...especially when it came to warming up a stadium

Garbage was definitely in a league of their own

Originally posted by Twist&TurnAway:
Did the Pretenders open for U2?

Yes, the Pretenders did open for U2 on the JT tour. But they were in a phase where they weren't playing anything off their first and best album, so I was kind of disappointed.

BEST: RHCP and Coldplay (Slane1)

WORST: Kim Salmon and the Surrealists (Zoomerang), Sidewinder (Popmart Oz leg) and Kelis (Slane1).

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

The best: Rage against the machine (popmart)
Red Hot Chili Peppers & coldplay (Slane 1)
and NO Doubt!

The worst: Kelis (Slane 1) Man she was bad, I mean really bad. I kind of felt sorry for her because everyone was booing her the whole time she was onstage!!!

third eye blind sucked

i dont care for pj harvey (her voice was irritating)

no doubt was tolerable

------------------
BuBbLe PoPpInG, sUgAr DrOpPiNg, RoCk AnD rOlL ...
*+*MaRiA*+*

I didn't care for PJ Harvey really but I'm from Anaheim and went to high school with Gwen so, I can't help but love No Doubt.

Back
Top Bottom