OOTS explained?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono started writing that song years ago. you can hear a rough cut of it during a 60 minutes interview from like 2002. also, which ever girl it is written for is Bono's goddaughter, so I would assume he is pretty close with her.

*is praying that family illness is not one of Edge's children*

Yes, please keep in mind that so far the press has said "family member". This could mean a whole slew of people. Additionally, the press rumors have stated that the tour will only be postponed by a few weeks. A daughter who is seriously ill may cancel the tour completely - not just postpone it a month. Therefore, this suggest a less serious illness or a more distant family member.

Until we know more, speculation isn't a good thing.

In CBS 60 mins they said it was written for Bono's children
"A song he wrote for his three children"
(Since John wasn't born at that time)

But in the recent pre-HTDAAB interviews in various magazines it says it's written for Holly, Edge's daughter.

I have the CBS clip if anyone is intrested.

From the many recent interviews I was led to believe it ended up being about Edge's eldest daughter (although it didn't seem to be about that in the beginning), and the insecurities involved with growing up and not being totally happy, sure about yourself.

The way I interpreted the title "Original of the Species" was since she is basically the first child born to any U2 member she is the original (first born) of the U2 children (species).

That's my interpretation. :shrug:

ramblin rose said:
From the many recent interviews I was led to believe it ended up being about Edge's eldest daughter (although it didn't seem to be about that in the beginning), and the insecurities involved with growing up and not being totally happy, sure about yourself.

The way I interpreted the title "Original of the Species" was since she is basically the first child born to any U2 member she is the original (first born) of the U2 children (species).

That's my interpretation. :shrug:

wow, this interpretation suits me very fine!

Bono has given three or four interpretations to this song, as he has to the opening of Vertigo. I guess it comes to down to personal opinion of how you chose to interpret it.

Both Original of the Species and Sometimes were on the "fighting for a place on the album" list at one time for ATYCLB.
For whatever reason they were not chosen for that album.
(according to the Propaganda article I re-read last night):wink:

Good interpertation ramblin rose. :up: My son is the first grandchild born and is often referred to as the original. This song has almost the same sentiments to me because of that. :heart:

Bono said in an interview that it started out being totally about Edge's daughter, but took on more subjects as the song developed.

Back
Top Bottom