"ONE" with mary j blige , whats goin on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this song is a disaster ! i mean "one" is a song that you dont go near , its an amazing song as it is , no other artists should touch it .

ok michael stipe did a version which was ok, but i cant believe u2 lent their time to this new version , it does not add anything at all.

nothing will beat the original.

I actually like the Mary J. Blige version, but I didn't approach it as having to be exactly like U2 to be good, I thought she did a good job on it while being herself :wink: I do agree that the U2 version is the best though :love:

Has it been released as a single cos at this very moment my local radio station in the UK is playing it. Has it been released? It ain't that bad by the way but jesus I hope its not been released officially.

Don't bother answering my question cos I just found out off the Radio 1 website. Its on the A playlist with a release date of the 3rd April. Mmmmm U2 of the 2000's are seriously taking a nosedive. Is this a charideeeee single? Seems to me they are desperate for a number 1. Sad to see the demise of this once great band, going down the route of re-releasing an old single to try and get to number 1.:(

I thought it was great..,...id buy it

Mary J blige....is a very soulful woman ...I think she felt the song
shes not one of these pop candy coated females...shes very serious
I think she did a great job.

Every time I hear in on the radio I have to switch the station. It actually pains me to hear that woman ruin my favourite-ever song. Someone needs to inform her that shouting does not make her any more soulful or emotional. It does, in fact, wreck a masterpiece. She should leave well alone, I can't stand her sort of singing.

The only other versh of One I can deal with is Johnny Cash's because he's a legend. But absolutely nothing can beat the original studio version from AB. Genius.

I don't know what's going on with u2.

It says: Mary J Blige & U2, well thats the same as U2 & Mary J Blige. So U2 is releasing the single as well....:sad:

i like this Mary J Blige & U2 version...its okay.
it doesn't have the quality of the johnny cash version but its far better than the joe cocker thing...

It's a fresh take on the song.

I might even like it a little more than the original studio version.

It was best live on the Zoo TV tour, though. :rockon:

meh, i dont mind it... its not as good as the original but i think it puts a fresh twist to it.

personally i don't mind it being release nor do i care who releases it, whether its MJB "with" U2 or MJB "and" U2...

Canadiens1160 said:
Not really a fan of the MJB version. What next, U2 & Michael Fucking Buble?

i'm still waiting for the fabled Bono/J Lo collaboration :hyper:

:|

chickadee said:
Every time I hear in on the radio I have to switch the station. It actually pains me to hear that woman ruin my favourite-ever song. Someone needs to inform her that shouting does not make her any more soulful or emotional. It does, in fact, wreck a masterpiece. She should leave well alone, I can't stand her sort of singing.

The only other versh of One I can deal with is Johnny Cash's because he's a legend. But absolutely nothing can beat the original studio version from AB. Genius.

I agree with everything you said, except that the album version can't be beat-----the live from Modena version takes the cake for me. :combust:

For those who've been debating, it's really not a "U2 release." It's on MJB's album. It's not on anything U2-related at all. The reason it's listed as MJB & U2 is because usually with a guest appearance (as this is---U2 are guesting on MJB's album), it'll say MJB with U2. My guess is that since four guys and all the instruments pretty much outnumber the lone MJB, plus since it's U2's song to start with, they listed it as "MJB & U2" instead of "with," which would make it seem like U2 have a lesser role in the song than the do. Just my thoughts.

You did buy Take Me To The Clouds Above then? And New Year's Dub?
:wink:

(respectively by LMC vs U2 and Musique vs U2)

It's a fresh take on the song, though I preferred the Shelter from the Storm version (Mary's singing that is).

rjhbonovox said:
Don't bother answering my question cos I just found out off the Radio 1 website. Its on the A playlist with a release date of the 3rd April. Mmmmm U2 of the 2000's are seriously taking a nosedive. Is this a charideeeee single? Seems to me they are desperate for a number 1. Sad to see the demise of this once great band, going down the route of re-releasing an old single to try and get to number 1.:(

I'm not really a chart watcher or anything but didn't the last album have more #1s from it than any of their other ones? If that's true why would they be desperate to have a number 1 since they've had a few, I think, just in the past year?

Anyways, It's a Mary J Blige single-It's her single put out by her record label. I know U2 are duetting on it and all and they wrote the song but it's still the new single from the Mary J Blige album promoted by her people as such.

I'm not sure what the big deal is, especially since you said the songs alright?

:shrug:

I've said it before-U2 fans are funny people

Last edited:
Like some of you here, I agree that it's a great twist on the song. The original is an original and that's that. The only thing that I don't like about this version is the chorus... that bugs me. What do you guys think? :eyebrow:

Utoo said:

I agree with everything you said, except that the album version can't be beat-----the live from Modena version takes the cake for me. :combust:

I think that's the best live version of the song, but for me it can't quite match up still. I think it's to do with the fact there are too many voices and not enough band members, and that's the thing that lessens it. But for a live version, it's certainly one of, if not the, best. I also like Zoo TV version, especially the Sydney one because it was so significant for the band that night, it seemed to really mean something.

I bet if it was a rock chick people would be lapping it up.

I'm amazed by the close mindedness of some U2 fans.

Not I'm not saying everyone who didn't like it is close minded. But many are...

I remember before anyone even heard it, once they heard MJB's name mention they automatically hated it.

I think it's great. She has an amazing voice, and it will really expose this song and U2 to many who would have never given them a second listen.

manwiththespinninhead said:
I think this song is a disaster ! i mean "one" is a song that you dont go near , its an amazing song as it is , no other artists should touch it .

ok michael stipe did a version which was ok, but i cant believe u2 lent their time to this new version , it does not add anything at all.

nothing will beat the original.

Wow... Mary J can't be allowed to sing One but croakey-voiced Michale Stipe is allowed to sing it. I like both versions but that's pretty funny.

chickadee said:

LMAO at calling Mary J's singing style shouting? What has Bono done all of his life.... LOL

I think the new "One" is great. Mary J has a great voice and its not exactly the typical R&B voice that gets recycled these days. What makes this studio version so much better than the other versions out there (live versions) is that it still feals raw an passionate yet Bono doesn't get blown out of the water. They're more in tune to each other while singing (thank the producer). Mary also doesn't sound off like on previous tracks. Its easy to compare this version to the origiinal and all of a sudden hate it b/c it has some "hip hop soul" singer on it as opposed to Bono "soul" singer but what can you do. Some people just don't like a little change. I can attest to it b/c I've hated a lot of U2's covers.

Back
Top Bottom