"ONE" with mary j blige , whats goin on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 have put their name on other singles before and no U2 isnt releasing it as their own it is on MJBs album. Its not as good as the original but I dont have a problem with the remake, I didnt like the Cash version really.

rjhbonovox said:
Don't bother answering my question cos I just found out off the Radio 1 website. Its on the A playlist with a release date of the 3rd April. Mmmmm U2 of the 2000's are seriously taking a nosedive. Is this a charideeeee single? Seems to me they are desperate for a number 1. Sad to see the demise of this once great band, going down the route of re-releasing an old single to try and get to number 1.:(

Uh... It's a Blige release and U2 easily hit #1 in the U.K. In fact, HTDAAB produced two #1 songs in the U.K. So I don't see any evidence of a band "desperate for a number 1". But I do see an Interference poster desperate to insult post-1997 U2 again.

rjhbonovox said:
Don't bother answering my question cos I just found out off the Radio 1 website. Its on the A playlist with a release date of the 3rd April. Mmmmm U2 of the 2000's are seriously taking a nosedive. Is this a charideeeee single? Seems to me they are desperate for a number 1. Sad to see the demise of this once great band, going down the route of re-releasing an old single to try and get to number 1.:(

This version with MJB is better than the original U2 version.

So was the Johnny Cash cover.

MrBrau1 said:

This version with MJB is better than the original U2 version.

So was the Johnny Cash cover.

One of the few times I disagree with you...

I like both, but neither are better...

The only better version than the studio version is the "Passengers" version.

Mary J shouting not singing...what a fucking riot, seriously. I wouldnt imagine any of the detractors even own any of Mary's music so their ignorance of her style and the beauty of it doesn't surprise me.

Anyways, the new version is amazing, very faithful to the original arrangement and not even close to a botch job. THe new video is even more beautiful than the original Toronto live video shot. Anyone who was in NYC and saw them really do this live together in front of an audience for the first time knows just what a powerful moment it was.

Stipe's version wasn't beautiful because of his vocal virtuosity on it either, it appealed to REM fans, me, and I would hope, most U2 fans on the level that is was the powerful ONE message being sung plaintively with a voice only Stipe has, and no, its not a perfect voice.

Mary's voice has never been 'perfect' either. Its the soul she puts into her art and where she's coming from that appeal to her fans, which I am proud to call myself part of, for many years.

Sounds like another lead singer we all love and adore...like...oh, Bono??

As for Cash's version, I didnt like it at first, simply not being a huge Johnny Cash fan, but now I catch myself every once in a while singing the first verse Cash style. It grows on you.

Not ONLY all that, but listen to U2's playing on the newest version. You can actually hear Bono's guitar, his voice is better, the rhythm is punchier, Edge's part is like glass...its BETTER.

U2/MJB detractors can go suck an egg lol.

Last edited:
the new version is crap. MJB has a good voice but she just goes so over the top. Bono's voice is weaker than it was in 1991 too. the song just sucks really.

They can't top the AB version really.

rjhbonovox said:

I agree on some level.

Last edited:
The MJB one is an interesting spin on the song, but it's not better than the original.

I didn't care for the Johnny Cash version much, and I've tried to erase the Joe Cocker version from my memory as well.

I dont know how anyone can agree with the release of a 14 year old song whether its on Bilges album or not. U2 have given their agreement to it and it just gives the impression of U2 craving for attention. This same band of 10 years ago would have run a mile from a duet with Bilge in the first place let alone allowing a crappy version of their song being released by her and the band. Anybody that can not see this has blinkers on OR they only became fans of the band during the past 5 years. U2 are going downhill faster than ever and I am devasted at seeing the once legendary band stooping to such lows to get the attention they and more likely Bono seem to crave!:(

Beautiful version of the song. It's great that the song is getting some fresh life, too, and that the teenybopper / pop kids will get to know the track.

Great idea by U2 to collaborate and to let MJB release it as a single

LyricalDrug said:
Beautiful version of the song. It's great that the song is getting some fresh life, too, and that the teenybopper / pop kids will get to know the track.

Great idea by U2 to collaborate and to let MJB release it as a single

Oh dear.......pop kids that Bono once proudly proclaimed not to be interested in during the Zoo Tv tour which coincedently was touring the album that this great song was off.

Having read your post I don't know whether you are actually taking the piss or are seriously suggesting that its a good thing.

There was a post from a while back that proclaimed U2 had been abducted by aliens at the end of popmart and replaced by these attention craving pop single making machine they have become. I think this is another example that this maybe true!:wink:

Weren't they also craving for attention then in 1992/1993 when they collaborated with R.E.M. on this song?
:eyebrow:

Looking at it as a strategic choice, it helps her and it helps them. MJB seems to be bent on reaching beyond R&B -- after all, she did the ultimate cross over and guest-starred on Dancing With the Stars, which was the top rated U.S. show (whose other artists were Barry Manilow, Natasha Bedingfield and yes, Michael F. Buble.) That got her exposure to mainstream America.

Next stop, a duet with the world's biggest rock band, which I realize originated back during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, but the single/video are only out now.

On the other hand, it's a way for U2 to reach out to her audience and avoid what's happened to the Stones and the Who -- not so much musically but being pegged to a certain generation, namely boomers. This presumably gets U2 on BET and played on black radio which I doubt it has been that much (anyone who knows better feel free to correct me.) If I were Paul McGuinniss studying the business plan for this one, I would have okayed it. There's a quid-pro-quo here that benefits both artists.

gabrielvox said:
Mary J shouting not singing...what a fucking riot, seriously. I wouldnt imagine any of the detractors even own any of Mary's music so their ignorance of her style and the beauty of it doesn't surprise me.

Anyways, the new version is amazing, very faithful to the original arrangement and not even close to a botch job. THe new video is even more beautiful than the original Toronto live video shot. Anyone who was in NYC and saw them really do this live together in front of an audience for the first time knows just what a powerful moment it was.

Stipe's version wasn't beautiful because of his vocal virtuosity on it either, it appealed to REM fans, me, and I would hope, most U2 fans on the level that is was the powerful ONE message being sung plaintively with a voice only Stipe has, and no, its not a perfect voice.

Mary's voice has never been 'perfect' either. Its the soul she puts into her art and where she's coming from that appeal to her fans, which I am proud to call myself part of, for many years.

Sounds like another lead singer we all love and adore...like...oh, Bono??

As for Cash's version, I didnt like it at first, simply not being a huge Johnny Cash fan, but now I catch myself every once in a while singing the first verse Cash style. It grows on you.

Not ONLY all that, but listen to U2's playing on the newest version. You can actually hear Bono's guitar, his voice is better, the rhythm is punchier, Edge's part is like glass...its BETTER.

U2/MJB detractors can go suck an egg lol.

It's got nothing to do with perfect voices. Of course I know that. I have many 'imperfect' voices in my record collection and just because I personally think she shouts instead of sings, that's nothing to mean I can't understand what she's trying to do. It just doesn't work for me. Her style of singing, I'm afraid, does not indicate soul. Perhaps it does to some people and that is fair enough. Music taste is subjective, after all. The original of One is my favourite song in the world so when I hear a singer I don't like making what I feel is a mess of it, I can't pretend I like it. It doesn't mean I am closed off to the idea. I just don't like it. S'all.

what bothers me is that it is credited as "One - Mary J Blige (Featureing U2)". featureing U2?!?! if you ask me it should be One - U2 (featuring mjb)... :mad:

Wow. I really like this version! Mary J's singing is extraordinary! :ohmy:

I can't compare it to the album version which I absolutely adore but I think I even prefer this to many of U2's live versions!

And it says 'featuring U2' because its on Mary J's new album! Nothing wrong with that.

Zootlesque said:

I can't compare it to the album version which I absolutely adore but I think I even prefer this to many of U2's live versions!

And it says 'featuring U2' because its on Mary J's new album! Nothing wrong with that.

It's good isn't it?

It's got "the stuff."

Zootlesque said:

:up: :yes:

The original studio version of One is absolutely perfect, however U2 have really dried the song out live!

Mary J's version is refreshing, still I can underatnd how she might be an acquired taste. Having said that though I'd much rather hear U2 and Mary J's duet live than just U2 performing One

zepher25 said:
my reaction to MJB's performace at the grammys was how much crack has she been smoking, she was absolutely psychotic

Interesting, people have said the same about Bono when he's passionate.

Oh he must be on drugs...

My Big Humble Op. :

Nothing , and I mean nothing tops the One version of popmart mexico , bono's voice and passion is just wow , edge playing with the gretsch :drool: Larry and adam doing some brilliant rhythm sounds ,

Ok I said that of course The Modena version it's indeed the most beautiful version , what I meant above is a full electrical band version .

BTW This new version is okay for me .

Though If I had to pick a female singer to make a duet of One , it would be so Joss Stone even if it didn't turn as a good version , dude I don't know what's more beautiful her voice or she herself drool: Anyone with me on this ?

Gotta agree with this thing of interference members bashing everything u2 does after 97 (Why again do i have this feeling that most of these persons are also rh fans ) .......:

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of this version but i don't mind listening to it. but I just saw the video, and this I don't like.
There are some nice frames, with the black and white atmosphere, especially at the beggining, but some others are really completely out of context for me there.
- Bono wild on guitar !?
- Sexy MJB shadow ?!
- Public taking pictures ???
Don't get the point ... too messy for me ...

It's the version is only B/E , and Brian Eno doin some back vocals and the orchestra , same show of Miss Sarajevo with Pavarotti to be more specific.

Back
Top Bottom