One - What a great song..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvandPeace1980

War Child
Undoubtedly been my favourite song since about 96.
Over the past 9 years there have been times when the song has been over played, ignored and even sung badly.
However it has a feeling in it for me which brings up pain while also soothing it, when I hear the song like that.. the song feels like something divine. I spose Bad is a bit like that too..
What an awesome song to be able to do that

Have you come here for forgiveness?
Have you come to raise the dead?
Have you come here to play Jesus?
To the lepers in your head
:heart:

One is heartwrenching. One is gorgeous. One is profound. One speaks in so many levels. One has several meanings. One in the studio is perfection and no live version can top it. One makes me misty eyed every single time I listen to and sing along with it. One is NOT overrated. Because One is the greatest song ever.

I think it's a song that I still can't totally wrap my head around, there is so many different layers of meaning and that's why I like it. I notice something new everytime I hear it. That and it brought the boys back from the brink of calling it quits.

I don't know if it's the best song ever, but I agree with a lot of what you said zootle. I really don't think it's overrated at all, it is such an amazing and beautiful song to me. I can't imagine not wanting to hear this song at a concert (although I can't imagine having been to 37 U2 concerts or whatever). I don't think any live version that I know of has topped the studio when it comes to vocals...I love the guitar live though, the coda, the beautiful added verse that I think really contributes a lot to the song.

Anyway, I have to agree that One is NOT overrated. Pride is overrated.

I agree that Johnny Cash did a splendid cover of it. But I will always be partial to the original. Don't know about the Blige one.

MrBrau1 said:

MJ Blige One > Johnny Cash One > U2 One

MJ Blige murdered One, imho.

Haven't heard Cash's version.

One live from Modena War Child Concert 95 > Studio One > Any other live One from 92-95 > Any live One from 96-now > MJ Blige One

namkcuR said:

MJ Blige murdered One, imho.

Haven't heard Cash's version.

One live from Modena War Child Concert 95 > Studio One > Any other live One from 92-95 > Any live One from 96-now > MJ Blige One

Got Itunes? I'll post an AAC.

Acoustic guitar, piano, voice. It's beautiful.

One will never be overrated, as any songs from U2 ;^D They're all great !

But don't worry... I just LOVE that song too ^^

MrBrau1 said:

MJ Blige One > Johnny Cash One > U2 One

I hope you're kidding. Blige's One was so bad that I wished I could hear U2's One for the first time in ... ever.

Cash's cover is good, though. Mainly because he's playing it as his song rather than trying to be Cash-as-U2.

Axver said:

I hope you're kidding. Blige's One was so bad that I wished I could hear U2's One for the first time in ... ever.

Cash's cover is good, though. Mainly because he's playing it as his song rather than trying to be Cash-as-U2.

I'm serious as taxes.

She took that song from U2.

She supercharged it.

I'm sorry you don't feel the soul in it.

I wasn't being too serious, Brau. :wink:

But just take a look at this line...

The soul needs beauty for a soul mate
When the soul wants... the soul waits...
:huh:

btw, I never really got into actual soul music like Otis Reading or whoever. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:

You're starting to sound like Bono now! ;)

:lol: I do love the song, but only when I'm in the right mood. However, it's one (no pun intended) of those songs that will stand the test of time...especially for the casual fan.

MrBrau1 said:

I'm serious as taxes.

She took that song from U2.

She supercharged it.

I'm sorry you don't feel the soul in it.

There's a difference between soul and strangling a cat. Blige's One sounded like the latter to me.

Zootlesque said:
I wasn't being too serious, Brau. :wink:

But just take a look at this line...

The soul needs beauty for a soul mate
When the soul wants... the soul waits...
:huh:

btw, I never really got into actual soul music like Otis Reading or whoever. :shrug:

I get ya. :wink:

10 years ago I'd have agreed with ya.

I hated country. I hated R&B.

Then I started listening to Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, and Ray Charles.

It was real music. It had no concern with "cool."

Axver said:

There's a difference between soul and strangling a cat. Blige's One sounded like the latter to me.

No way. Get new ears.:wink:

It's just part of what i love about this band.

They record with BB King, Willie Nelson & Johnny Cash.

They cover David Bowie, The Beatles, Curtis Mayfield, Abba, Lou Reed, and play bits of The Who, The Stones, REM, Aerosmith, and Smashing Pumpkins.

They play with Patti Smith, The Killers, Springsteen, Mary J, and Arcade Fire.

Nobody else does this. Nobody.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

No way. Get new ears.:wink:

Nah, I'm quite happy with mine. I think maybe you should try them on though. :wink:

It's just part of what i love about this band.

They record with BB King, Willie Nelson & Johnny Cash.

They cover David Bowie, The Beatles, Curtis Mayfield, Abba, Lou Reed, and play bits of The Who, The Stones, REM, Aerosmith, and Smashing Pumpkins.

They play with Patti Smith, The Killers, Springsteen, Mary J, and Arcade Fire.

Nobody else does this. Nobody.

There's something for everyone there. That's why U2 rules.

Studio version is the best, no live version topped it for me.

I liked both Johnny Cash's cover and Mary J Blige singing on it - I think it speaks volumes for the song that both of them added their own touch on the song and it still sounds good.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
Have you come here for forgiveness?
Have you come to raise the dead?
Have you come here to play Jesus?
To the lepers in your head
:heart:

One is heartwrenching. One is gorgeous. One is profound. One speaks in so many levels. One has several meanings. One in the studio is perfection and no live version can top it. One makes me misty eyed every single time I listen to and sing along with it. One is NOT overrated. Because One is the greatest song ever.

:love: marry me please!!

Though the extended solo and the Hear me coming Lord verse (when they do it) bring the song to a high live it never reached in the studio, I would not change the studio version one bit. It's perfect.

Personally, I couldn't stand Mary J. Blige's version of One. I really don't like that style of singing at all. It didn't seem soulful to me, just show-offy. I haven't heard Cash's version of the song, actually, but I'm sure it's good. But I don't think anything could quite top the original.

Back
Top Bottom