ONE used as ABC PROMO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Several U2 songs have been used by networks for various things. The year of the U2 Super Bowl performance, Desire was almost the NFL theme song. A bunch of other songs are used for various clips here and there, or sometimes as a lead-in to a news program or something.

I enjoy hearing them usually. What irks me is when I hear a fake U2 song used in a commercial. For instance, there's a Comcast Cable commerical right now that has a background riff that sounds like Zoo Station. It then goes into some funky thing for a few bars, then comes back to Bizzaro Zoo Station...

Utoo said:
What irks me is when I hear a fake U2 song used in a commercial. For instance, there's a Comcast Cable commerical right now that has a background riff that sounds like Zoo Station. It then goes into some funky thing for a few bars, then comes back to Bizzaro Zoo Station...

maybe it's
PASSENGERS - Bottoms (Watashitachi No Ookina Yume) (Zoo Station Remix)
from Miss Sarajevo single??
:)

covers usually end up in commercials somehow, like iron and wine's cover of the postal service's "such great heights" for the m&m's commercial.

it's no big deal really.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. ABC owns ESPN. I'd imagine the promo spot has some relation to their soccer ad, and One Campaign ads. We may well see One Campaign ads on ABC soon.

from atu2:

NEW @U2 U2 AND ESPN ... TIMES THREE
May 09, 2006
posted by: m2
News from U2Portugal.com via U2tour.de -- the ESPN/U2 World Cup commercials are now available on the web, and what a surprise -- not just Bono doing voiceovers, but Adam does one, too. To see and hear for yourself:

Visit ESPNsoccernet and click ENTER. A new window will pop-up, and you can use the small links at the bottom to watch the three U2-themed commercials: "Anthem" featuring Bono and "City of Blinding Lights", "Cheerleaders" featuring Bono and "Where the Streets Have No Name," and the hysterical (sorry, Scots!) "Tartan Army" featuring Adam and "I Will Follow."

This is also worth mentioning: We're told the band did not get paid for these commercials. The agreement is the same as U2's previous cooperation with ESPN: The band gets the exposure, the network gets use of the music. In addition, there's a brief but noticeable ad for The One Campaign at the end of the "Cheerleaders" spot, which is perhaps part of the agreement, too (but that's speculation for now).

O.K. - There's a huge difference in U2 lending they're music for the World Cup (they are fans!!!) and giving ABC permission to use "One" as a fu#*in promo for the network!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Someone please get to the bottom of this.

Harry Vest said:
O.K. - There's a huge difference in U2 lending they're music for the World Cup (they are fans!!!) and giving ABC permission to use "One" as a fu#*in promo for the network!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get over it, seriously.
It's not like it's an advert for duck slaughter.

But now that I think about it.... :hmm:

Harry Vest said:

I will call my buddies at the White House to figure this pickle out.

Utoo said:
What irks me is when I hear a fake U2 song used in a commercial. For instance, there's a Comcast Cable commerical right now that has a background riff that sounds like Zoo Station. It then goes into some funky thing for a few bars, then comes back to Bizzaro Zoo Station...

the other day at Target they were playing a Target promo on their tvs in the store, the beginning sounded just like "Desert Rose". I looked up thinking by some weird chance they were playing the U2 video, only to see the target logos all over the place, then it switches to something way crappier for a few bars and ends sounding again like desert rose...... :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom