One Step Closer is the "Grace" of The Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I disagree, One Step Closer is really a nice little song. I get the goosebumps when Bono starts singing. It reminds me of a Alt/Country song that could be performed by Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson.

Yes, I suggested a while back that it would be astonishing performed by Johnny Cash or Jeff Buckley. That said, the U2 version is a vital part of the album, whereas Grace was a somewhat unsatisfying coda/meditation

I totally disagree!

Grace is much weaker and personally I think it's not as emotional as OSC!

I actually compare OTS to One though not as good granted!

I love the steal guitar in OSC. The song is musically superior to Grace. It just sounds better and evokes more emotion.

Totally disagree. One Step Closer is a layered, intricately personal gem. Grace is some pretty work from Edge and a clumsy Bono lyric.

One step closer is so much better than Grace... Grace is probably one of their worst songs ever (imo of course)

In a sense yes, but in my opinion whilst they are both the weakest tracks on their respective albums, one step closer is a lot better than grace.

one step closer serves as a welcome intermission after the breathtaking crumbs and man and woman before we are indulged in the brilliance of original and yahweh. It's a nice little break from the consistently brilliant songs that feature on the album.

Grace on the other hand is just rubbish for an album closer. SHould have been a bside so that summer rain could have been included on the album proper and walk on could close the album.

one step closer is a cracking song....as is grace....most of the songs on Joshua Tree are cack...these are the ones to diss...trip through your wires????total toss

Not by a long shot.

Grace doesn't go anywhere. Very underwhelming.

One Step Closer is much better both lyrically and musically.

i agree, i think every album they have a full mellow chill out song

grace on atyclb
first time on zooropa
one step closer on htdaab

im sure there are others, just cant think of them now.......

Yeah, One Step Closer is the Grace of this album. It's also the Drowning Man, Running To Stand Still, and Heartland of this album.

All wonderfully beautiful songs.

Tryin' to throw your arms around the world.

Running to stand still, Heartland, First time, If you wear that velvet dress and One step closer.

U2girl said:
Tryin' to throw your arms around the world.

Running to stand still, Heartland, First time, If you wear that velvet dress and One step closer.

Mmmmm... Nah, I don't really put TTTYAATW in that category, I think it's the vocal delivery that makes the difference for me. (Don't get me wrong, First Time and Running to Stand Still are my favorite songs on their respective albums)

One Step Closer is my favourite off this new album. All band members deliver an understated but beautiful performance with no grandstanding and the track all the more powerful for this. It is the kind of song that their age and experience can truly do justice to and is not something they could have pulled off back in the 80s. I've found it is best served late at night at quite a high volume and is a beautifully atmospheric piece that fills the room like a warm fog.

paulrg said:
One Step Closer is my favourite off this new album. All band members deliver an understated but beautiful performance with no grandstanding and the track all the more powerful for this. It is the kind of song that their age and experience can truly do justice to and is not something they could have pulled off back in the 80s. I've found it is best served late at night at quite a high volume and is a beautifully atmospheric piece that fills the room like a warm fog.

In the dark through the headphones is pretty good too!

i disagree but i even don't know what you suggest...the song OSC is a grower and stands for itself as a real strong song.
grace on the other hand was one of the best songs on the mediocre ATYCLB and listen to it..grace sets the tone and the mood of SYCMIOYO... the melody and the mood of the first minute of SYCMIOYO is nearly the same.
i've already posted that in another thread.

CRAZY THREAD. One Step Closer is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than Grace. Grace is a song you skip to repeat into Beautiful Day. One Step Closer makes you want to repeat it and go listen to the Joshua Tree Album.

Back
Top Bottom