One Step Closer appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
I think this song is one of the least appreciated of HTDAAB...a far better tribute song then SYCMIOYO...really hits the heart hard...thoughts?

If there was one toon i had to skip on BOMB, then it would be One Step Closer. Not that its a bad song, just there is 11 more ad rather listen too.
Potentially my least listned to U2 songs ever.

The whole album outside of ABOY and AMAAW is excellent and this one seems to get no respect.

I've just come to really love this song, and it's currently one of my favorite songs on the album...possibly favorite, of course this always changes with time.

it's a good tune, far from the best on the record, but i pay it a visit every now and then :wink:

I have to say, I think the song would instantly become 10x better if when Bono sang the line "can you hear the drummer slowing?" Larry...well, slowed. :D A tiny little ritard there would be the perfect little touch.

Dispensing with the usual "VERY OVERRATED/SO UNDERRATED" comments, I'd like to know what that fleshy wet sound is during the first few seconds before Bono's vocals. It sounds like he's repeatedly smacking his lips together and it really makes me uncomfortable.

This tune has really grown on me. Really didn't like it at first, thought it was boring, but now I've picked up all the atmospheric influences in the track, and it could be used 2 segue in2 Streets in a future tour....

A live version w/ strings would b beautiful!

lemme tell you fine folks a story. i liked this song, but never really "felt" it. until i heard it through the ears( not literally) of a friend.
this guy, in a space off 3 years has lost everything. his wife passed away, got into multiple car accidents, lost his friggin job, lost his home and had to file bankruptcy.
so i was doing some work on someone's car and asked him to help,it really my way of trying to help him out. so we get done and i'm driving him home and i was playing a U2 mix i have. O.S.C. comes on and at the end of the song he starts crying. i was like "dude what up?" he was,"that song. it's my life."

the part," I'm under a bridge in a rip tide. That's taken everything I call my own."
was him losing everything he held dear in his life.

the part, "I'm on an island at a busy intersection
I can't go forward, I can't turn back
Can't see the future
It's getting away from me
I just watch the tail lights glowing."
is him not knowing where his life is going. feeling lost. overwhelmed to the point off not caring.

i never even thought off the song in this context.

love this tune, one of the few I still enjoy from bomb

btw, Beautiful Ghost -> One Step Closer is one crazy awesome segue that's even better than Beautiful Ghost -> Streets for me

its the parts about being on a bridge in a riptide, and the busy intersection that really hit, and the way that the drums sound like a funeral march

kingofsorrow said:
lemme tell you fine folks a story. i liked this song, but never really "felt" it. until i heard it through the ears( not literally) of a friend.
this guy, in a space off 3 years has lost everything. his wife passed away, got into multiple car accidents, lost his friggin job, lost his home and had to file bankruptcy.
so i was doing some work on someone's car and asked him to help,it really my way of trying to help him out. so we get done and i'm driving him home and i was playing a U2 mix i have. O.S.C. comes on and at the end of the song he starts crying. i was like "dude what up?" he was,"that song. it's my life."

the part," I'm under a bridge in a rip tide. That's taken everything I call my own."
was him losing everything he held dear in his life.

the part, "I'm on an island at a busy intersection
I can't go forward, I can't turn back
Can't see the future
It's getting away from me
I just watch the tail lights glowing."
is him not knowing where his life is going. feeling lost. overwhelmed to the point off not caring.

i never even thought off the song in this context.

Wow.... thanx 4 sharing. And we think we have it bad sometimes.

I have four favorite songs from HTDAAB: Miracle Drug, Love and Peace or Else, A Man and a Woman, and One Step Closer. I have no idea why the latter two get such bad press.

Back
Top Bottom