One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"one gas,
one car,
one drive you got to do what you should
we get to cruise each other, cruise each other"

boner you act like a politician...you just talk way too much
...today this and next day that..
:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Have never reallyed liked this song...that was until a couple of weeks ago.
Now I really like it....It used to be one of those songs I would skip on Bootegs (from elevation to vertigo tours)...But now I listen to it all the time.

There is no "greatest song ever" One just happens to have alot of the qualities required for such praise.

I have always loved that song. And according to the RS artice Bono said it's about a gay son coming out to his religious father. He tried to write it for someone who was actually about to tell their father they were gay. Also he states that the other meaning of the song is how hard it is to be in a relationship or a band.

I was not a fan of this, when I first heard it, but it's a 4/5 for me now. I wouldn't have a clue what it's about, I thought it was about unity. 'We carry each other, one'.

The version at Slane though - :drool: :drool: :drool:

Love the song, but I don't think it's necessary to play it at every single concert any more.

Interesting....without digging thru my archives that is the first I've personally heard Bono mention the gay aspect of the father/son thing. I understood it to be about a son who couldn't find acceptance from his father for any number of reasons, and that it was largely autobiographical due to the nature of the relationship he had with his own father. I can for some reason even remember someone from the band (pretty sure it was Bono) saying that it wasn't specifically written as a song for the gay community when people starting making the link between AIDs (due to the donation of proceeds) and the crossdressing video. Hmm.

Not that his new explanation bothers me in the slightest bit. I just recall an interview where he said something to the effect that One wouldn't be the first time the gay community had felt that a song had been written for them and went on to mention Twilight as another example.

At any rate, One is one of the top 10 songs of all time, and if that is what he now feels it means, that doesn't change my opinion one little bit.

gabrielvox said:
Interesting....without digging thru my archives that is the first I've personally heard Bono mention the gay aspect of the father/son thing. I understood it to be about a son who couldn't find acceptance from his father for any number of reasons, and that it was largely autobiographical due to the nature of the relationship he had with his own father. I can for some reason even remember someone from the band (pretty sure it was Bono) saying that it wasn't specifically written as a song for the gay community when people starting making the link between AIDs (due to the donation of proceeds) and the crossdressing video. Hmm.

Not that his new explanation bothers me in the slightest bit. I just recall an interview where he said something to the effect that One wouldn't be the first time the gay community had felt that a song had been written for them and went on to mention Twilight as another example.

At any rate, One is one of the top 10 songs of all time, and if that is what he now feels it means, that doesn't change my opinion one little bit.

Pick up the latest issue of the Rolling Stone magazine that Bono is on the cover of. It's in the section where he is reviewing all of U2's albums. The journalist point blank asked him if the song was about his relationship with his father. What he stated is what I posted what the song is about. Anyone who has read that section in the magazine can vouch for it. Bono seems to like to change up what songs mean a lot,lol.

the tourist said:
If only the album version could hold a candle to the live version from ZooTV or the Miss Sarajevo single w/ the full orchestra....

The album version is the definitive version to me..its got a very special atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom