Once I just couldn`t listen to this U2 record.But now... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2002, 01:09 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:28 PM
Once I just couldn`t listen to this U2 record.But now...

Is there any U2 record you once just couldn`t listen to and now it`s one of your favorite albums???

I just hated Pop after I bought it.

I was hating most of the songs. Especially Miami, Last night on Earth and Mofo.

One year later I just started to listen to it again and what can I tell you, I just love all of the songs now.

I love Miami because of the great lyrics and the humor.
I love the way Bono works up the death of his mother in MOFO.

And Last Night on Earth ROCKS.

Old 11-07-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
POP for GIRLS

Local Time: 01:28 PM

looks like someone wants a fight to start. Okay I'll say it, Pop sucks and it sucks just as much now as it ever did. I still hate it

Old 11-07-2002, 01:18 PM   #3
The Fly

Re: Once I just couldn`t listen to this U2 record.But now...

Quote:
Originally posted by A Maaaaaaan
Is there any U2 record you once just couldn`t listen to and now it`s one of your favorite albums?
I just started this thread because of this question, but not to begin this boring discussion again.

" OK Edge play the Blues!"
Old 11-07-2002, 01:18 PM   #4
Banned

Unforgettable Fire : i really disliked the album for awhile , now except few last tracks , i love it .

p.s. GypsyheartGirl does not understand the main theme of the thread , her post must be corrected .
Old 11-07-2002, 01:24 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:28 PM
OMG, I am having a HUGE POP phase right now, when the first few times I played it I was wondering what the hell they were thinking!!! I also have found new love for Miami...I back up my CD just so I can scream it in my car. All together now...

MIAMI!!!

I love it!!!!

Then I proceed on to "If You Wear That Velvet Dress..." I turn it waaaay up so I can hear ever seductive word and the bass rumbles in my car and the other drivers on the road/in the parking lot/in the drive through line look at me funny. A big shout-out to The Playboy Mansion and Last Night on Earth. And, of course, RIP our dear-departed BOOM-CHAs.

Speaking of The Playboy Mansion...didn't Michael Jackson name his last album History? Does anyone else wonder if that's another battle in the Jacko/U2 war (heh...) that's been going on since, like, Zoo TV?
Old 11-07-2002, 01:49 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Nice thread :-)

I had a hard time getting into October the first few times I heard it. It just didn't click with me. But I picked it up a few months ago and just fell in love with it. It's still not my favorite album, but it has some absolutely gorgeous songs on there. Gloria, I Threw a Brick, Tomorrow ( ), Rejoice, Scarlet...just really beautiful music.

And Gypsy...maybe he wasn't trying to start a fight. Maybe he just thought it would be fun to find out if others had similar expriences with growing to love an album they once hated. Not every thread expressing love for POP is a challenge to those who don't like it.

*edited cause evidently I did *not* take the grammar-mobile to school today...
Old 11-07-2002, 02:01 PM   #7
The Fly

Re: Nice thread :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes
I had a hard time getting into October

Yes!

Maybe it has also something to do with the album cover.

Well ...... .................. nice jacket Adam.

Old 11-07-2002, 02:12 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Had to think about that one a minute...I would have to say October. When I first bought it I think I only listened to two or three songs, then I sort of moved on to other U2 albums. It wasn't that I DISLIKED October, per se, but I wasn't in any hurry to get into it, I guess.

In the last couple years, I've really grown to love this album. So many great songs there that have been overlooked!
Old 11-07-2002, 02:20 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Re: Nice thread :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by A Maaaaaaan

Yes!

Maybe it has also something to do with the album cover.

Well ...... .................. nice jacket Adam.

LMAO. Yes. The jacket and the...umm...hair.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:59 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Nice thread :-)

Quote:

I actually like that album cover.

*runs away*
Old 11-07-2002, 03:20 PM   #11
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?

This thread may be joined with unamed_street's 'what a fantatic album-so underrated!' thread and others. We can read over and over how much Wertsie gushes over it, gypsy and J don't, and pinkfloyd uses it as a chance to diss ATYCLB which bring in the ATYCLB lovers, et al, ad infinitum or whatever, this topic has been discussed to death already. OLD Any new ideas anyone? Any new albums anyone feels strongly about? I don't know whether to or or or or

Yeah that's it

We really need one for 'broken record'

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 11-07-2002, 03:27 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono

I don't think this was intended to be an "I POP" thread. There are only two posts here that even have anything to do with POP.

Lighten up!

My bad...Looks like there are three! (and four if you count this one. )
Old 11-07-2002, 04:41 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Schmeg
Does anyone else wonder if that's another battle in the Jacko/U2 war (heh...) that's been going on since, like, Zoo TV?

What is this little war you speak of between Michael Jackson and U2?

The things you miss out on when you are a late blooming fan...*shakes head*

Angela
Old 11-07-2002, 04:42 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono
This thread may be joined with unamed_street's 'what a fantatic album-so underrated!' thread and others. We can read over and over how much Wertsie gushes over it, gypsy and J don't, and pinkfloyd uses it as a chance to diss ATYCLB which bring in the ATYCLB lovers, et al, ad infinitum or whatever, this topic has been discussed to death already. OLD Any new ideas anyone? Any new albums anyone feels strongly about? I don't know whether to or or or or

Yeah that's it

I really don't think A Maaaaaan's post was meant start a POP discussion. It's meant to start one about growing to love an album that you once hated (Is it me or did I already say this?). Just because for him that album was POP doesn't mean he wanted to make this thread a celebration JUST of POP. This could be a really nice, positive thread. Can we pleeeaaasse let it be that way?
Old 11-07-2002, 05:07 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 11:28 AM
I second Hallulujah's sentament. Get a life ppl. We are aloowed to talk about Pop.

Well for me its October and Pop. October has grown only a bit but Pop alot. I bet there will be alot of posts about Pop because it is a grower. Most ppl dont listen to pop the first time and love it. You have got to get into the lyrics and the dark mood of the album. My favs on pop are wake up dead man and IGWSHA. I love to listen to the alblum when i'm alone and depressed.

And to the two ppl who are bitching about this being a pop thread you're the ones making it into it.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:17 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:28 PM
Good question

For me it was The Unforgettable Fire. Not so much that I couldn't get into it, but I was very wrapped up in Achtung Baby at first, which spread to TJT & Pop.. so I think I bought TUF but never really listened to it. Now, I can't let it go. It's an album I constantly retreat to. perhaps the correct response is War, though, since it's the one I least listen to..

Old 11-07-2002, 06:27 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl
looks like someone wants a fight to start. Okay I'll say it, Pop sucks and it sucks just as much now as it ever did. I still hate it
Not sure what that has to do with the topic of this thread, but ok...

Took me a little while to get into Zooropa I suppose. I liked Stay and Lemon a lot at first, but songs like Babyface, Numb, and Dirty Day took a while for me to get into. I still don't really like The Wanderer or Daddy's Gonna Pay..., but I'm kinda coming around to those.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:05 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Re: Re: Nice thread :-)

Quote:

oh come on twin, you know you love the fro

mine would have to beeee Boy. I listened to it ONCE and then never again, for about three months
Lots of times it takes a really kickass live version to get me into an album/band/song/whtaever

oh and I also HATED JT when I first borrowed it from someone, except the first four songs, three of which were on my best of... I bought it for posterity's sake and it collected dust for a very, very, very long time.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:38 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl
as a mother do you not teach your children not to go OUT OF THEIR WAY TO START FIGHTS?

your a real brainiac.

what about those that swing both ways? acdc's?
Old 11-07-2002, 07:41 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 03:28 PM
Interesting topic for discussion. And I said discussion, not fight over this or that album. Please?

I had no problems with Pop, first song I listened was The Playboy Mansion, not the best in the album IMO, still I liked it. When I heard Gone, SATS and Velvet Dress I fell in love with it.

With that said I must confess that my least favourite, talking about first listening, was Rattle and Hum. I really felt it was kinda messy, I mean, live songs and studio songs altogether...sounded weird for me. But there is a happy end. That was my grower and I love it nowadays.